Beardie keeps closing eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I am a new member here and I am somewhat worried about my dragon. I got him last week, all is good but he closes either one eye or both when he is basking. I have done some research and i understand it could be from the UVB bulb.

I am currently using the reptisun terrarium hood with the 5.0 blub it comes with. The basking light is a normal 100w from the pet store. My beardie is currently in a 20 gallon so I thought the 5.0 would be sufficient!

Should I be worried?
-Mike

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Yep those uvb lights do bug their eyes. I'd replace it with a reptisun 10.0 T5 that will put off the proper amount of uvb and hopefully his eyes will get better soon.

Peterpan842

Original Poster
destiny1998":3n7o25i3 said:
Hi. Yep those uvb lights do bug their eyes. I'd replace it with a reptisun 10.0 T5 that will put off the proper amount of uvb and hopefully his eyes will get better soon.
Hi, is there a reason why these lights bother their eyes compared to the 10.0? I thought it was just a difference in strength

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Is the uvb a coil or compact? The 5.0 does not give off the proper amount of uvb unless its a reptisun T5 18 inch uvb. Those coil/compacts start out too strong then after a while they barely give off any uvb. Also the mesh screen blocks a lot of the uvb rays of the bulb. If you get a t5 then you can put that on top of the screen and he'll still get a proper amount of uvb.

Peterpan842

Original Poster
destiny1998":3i7bu038 said:
Is the uvb a coil or compact? The 5.0 does not give off the proper amount of uvb unless its a reptisun T5 18 inch uvb. Those coil/compacts start out too strong then after a while they barely give off any uvb. Also the mesh screen blocks a lot of the uvb rays of the bulb. If you get a t5 then you can put that on top of the screen and he'll still get a proper amount of uvb.

It is not a compact coil. It is the tube UVB. The exact name of the bulb im using is reptisun T5 5.0 HO it is 24 inches.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
My bad. He might be to close. Could be bothering his eyes. If you have a reflector I'd raise it up and the basking light can also be too close and bother his eyes.

Peterpan842

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Quick update!

-I just purchased the reptisun 10.0 T5 HO bulb and it looks like its working great!

- As for the eye closing, I think it is him shedding because he just buldged his eyes and his tail is and back legs are mid shed.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom