Bit the beardie bug and want to get another question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzman

Hello all,
I bought my first beardie about 8 months ago and thinking about getting another. My beardie is about 11 months or older now. He's a lazy guy and very laid back and non aggressive. He loves being pet especially above his head. He spends the biggest part of his time sitting in his tree. I would love to get another one but I wanted to ask and get good info before I do. I did do proper care research before I bought my first one to make sure it's what I wanted unlike alot of people. Now I would like to get a second one as I got bit by the beardie ownership bug,lol. But I was wondering if it would be safe to do so? I heard all sorts of answers from 'he'll be fine as beardies do better in pairs' to the 'it would be a bad idea as he'll get aggressive and eat the new little guy'. I wanted to ask first before making any bad decisions. My local petsmart (only pet store near me) has them in the brownish red color like mine as well as ones that are almost black in color. But all are small guys like 3-4 inches. Thanx for your help and take care

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I to have the beardies bug :D I have 3. Two are fe ales and one is a male. There is no way I would house any of them together. The older female has tried to attack the younger one. Luckily I was right there before anything bad happened. So they can not be out at the same time. The male is in his own room or he goes crazy seeing the girls. So if you do get another you definitely want him or her their own habitat.

Fuzzman

Original Poster
Hello destiny,
Thanx for your response and advice. It's a shame to know I can't house them together as I don't have room for a second tank ?. So I'm stuck with just one which I'm very happy with but wish I can have another but oh well. Tho my wife will be happy as she doesn't really care for him. She's more of the fluffy kinda pet owner,lol. Thanx again

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, sorry to say this but they are very territorial and the new one would most likely become a snack or severely injured. They only tolerate each other when it is mating season and, even that can be dangerous.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
First off, KUDOS for not just running out and buying another.

BUT, sadly they are non-communal animals. When you put two together (for any length of time) there is bound to be some sort of aggression or dominance, especially with such size differences. For the safety of your beardie, and potential future beardie, you should not put them together.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Until recently had three , my old 5yr old girl , my 1.6yr old boy and girl + two bluetongue skinks (both about 8 yr old , a boy and a girl).

All have their own private vivs and the only time when two lizards are on the floor or meet is when I have a beardie and a bluetongue skink out for fun floor time. NEVER two beardies or the two BTS out together.

I'm am not interested in breeding , and certainly am not willing to buy incubators for beardie eggs.

So long as the new beardie is housed separately and don't have to look at the older beardie all the time (stacking vivs is a great way to avoid this) , both should be fine and happy.
There will be some bbing and headnodding from the older beardie when it discovers there is another beardie in IT'S HOUSE , they are not big on sharing and do get jealous.... this will settle down if you give the older beardie more attention and lots of love and cuddles and treats so it will know you still BELONG TO IT.

I now see very little interaction between Peppa and Toothless , maybe a halfhearted headnod at Peppa or an occasional slow headnod and slow armwave from her. This will change soon , is dead of winter here and I expect in month or two for their hormones to kick in and things will become interesting for us , the BTS will do the usual courting behaviours, and I expect Toothless will become megahorny and Peppa will become very flirty .... but like Romeo and Juliet .... it's all "love"/lust at a distance ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom