Beardie lethargic and not eating after big shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read a lot about shedding and behavior. My Beardie Falcor normally sheds and acts like he would any other time. He finished his shed this morning and he just wants to cuddle. No running around like normal and he hasn't touched his crickets since last night, though he did eat a couple mealworms this afternoon. When should I be worried about him not wanting to eat. It's been about a day now. He usually gets fed twice a day and sometimes a little snack in between. He eats crickets (8-12), dusted, twice daily, mustard greens are available fresh daily, and mealworms as a snack. I do have the reptisun 10 uvb light and a 100w heat light for during the day and a ceramic heat bulb for night. Temps are 94-106 during the day and 85-95 at night. I also give him a bath every day to every other day. I'm hoping this is just from his shed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's common for them to behave oddly during a shed cycle. Keep offering food regularly. I'd imagine he'll get back into his normal routine within the next week or so.

As far as lighting goes, how are you measuring those temps? Is that a reading from one end of the tank to another or is it a range in a specific area? Usually you want to have about 100-105 in the basking area with spots around that in the 90s and a gradient down to about 75-80 or so on the other side of the tank so there are plenty of choices available. It's best to use an IR temp gun or digital thermometers with probes (one for each side) to get accurate readings of the surface temps in the tank.

Which kind of ReptiSun 10 are you using (T5 tube, T8 tube, Compact Fluorescent) ? How far is it above the basking area? The different light types have very different outputs and distance requirements so I just want to make sure he's getting proper UVB exposure as well.

Jackie0527

Original Poster
I have a probe type thermometer. His basking side is around 102 during the day and the opposite side is around 88 or so. I do have him out of his Viv often and he absolutely LOVES going outside in the sun with me. The uvb is a compact bulb but I have a tube one with setup on order.

When I first got him 7 weeks ago, he was 6.5 inches and since then, he has shed 4 times and is currently 11 and 3/4 inches. He's growing rapidly and very light colored and happy most of the time. The first image is the day I got him and the second image is from 3 days ago.
92789-5342238727.jpg
92789-1791459900.jpg

Jackie0527

Original Poster
Also, he did eat 4 crickets this morning, which is something but still way less then normal. He also had a few bites of his mustard greens. I also gave him a little orange pepper and he seemed to not be interested after 1 small piece.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good. They tend to have cycles in which they eat less like that but everything sounds good so keep offering food and I think he'll bounce back soon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The worrying never really goes away you learn more about them and their mood/personalities as time goes on though. If you're ever unsure feel free to post and ask questions.

Jackie0527

Original Poster
So, on Monday, it's now Thursday, Falcor ate a bit of food. About 10 crickets, dusted and gut loaded, but he has NOT eaten more then like 5 crickets since and NOTHING since Tuesday evening. I'm getting really worried. He did have a decent poop yesterday, tube style and not mushy at all.

This morning as soon as his lights came on, he was glass surfing and following me around. He refused to eat...AGAIN, but obviously wanted out of his tank to be with me. He's been just laying on me, sleeping, for about an hour now. Which is completely abnormal for during the day.

I am really getting worried. Could this still be from his big shed? He did get a bath yesterday and wanted out right away, so much that he was trying to jump out and climbed my arm as soon as I reached to take him out. He does not want me out if his sight either and does not want anyone else to hold him, my daughter hold him daily just as I do.

He is only about 5 months old, as I have had him for 2 months and according to size when I got him, he was about 3 months then.

Please help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not unheard of for them to lose their appetite like that near shed time. His behavior sounds good and it's a good sign that he is active. I would track his weight using a kitchen scale. Record (in grams) it each day so you can track how it's trending. If he isn't losing a significant amount of weight then he is probably fine. They are able to slow their systems down and require less food at times if they want to.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The only thing that stands out to me is that 88 degrees is way too hot for the cool side of his tank, the cool side (opposite the side with his basking spot) should be between 75-80 degrees maximum, the hot side should be between 88-93 degrees, and his basking spot should be between 100-105. So he has a cool side that is the temperature that his hot side should be, and if he has no cool side around 75 or so degrees to go to to cool off, that can cause them to not eat. I'd try to get the cool side down from 88 degrees to at the hottest 80. This might stop the glass surfing and wanting to always get out, and up his appetite.

Jackie0527

Original Poster
I moved his light over some and rearranged a little. I did add a hammock I made out of fabric as well. It looks like his cool side went down to about 79 his heated side to 96 and his basking spot is at 102. I also sprayed him down with his spray bottle because he DID NOT want anything to do with his bath today. He kept climbing up my arm when I got him near it. Hopefully this change will help and not stress him too much.

With the glass surfing, this is the first time he had EVER done it. He usually comes to the side of his tank where I am and just looks at me, letting me know he wants out.

Jackie0527

Original Poster
I think I figured out why he is acting so strange. His front legs looks like they are going to shed...AGAIN. He just shed last week and it took him 5 days and now he's going into another one. Poor little guy. I measured him and he has grown another 3/4 inch in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom