One last issue before buying a dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing a couple hours on reading care guides for bearded dragons and browsing forums for answers to some of my questions. I have been looking for an alternative to crickets and found dubia worms but unfortunately I live in a state where they are illegal to have. My issue is I live in an apartment with roommates and housing crickets would be too noisy for the apartment / neighbors. After hours of research it is looking bleak for my chances of owning a dragon. I already have a 36 x 18 x 18 tank ready and an amazon cart with all the substrate, lamps, temp gauges, etc. items. If there are any alternatives on feeders for < 3 month old and on dragons, please leave me a comment with the idea. Thanks!

I use repashy grup pie and black soldier fly larvae. He gets about 70 larvae and 5 pieces of grub pie a day. I always have a salad mix available for him. I have had him for 3 weeks and he has gone from 135 gms to 186 gms.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Can you give us a rundown on the things you are getting, a proper start is the key to good healthy and, happy dragons.
lights (brand,wattage,style)
Substrate
Thermometers

These all play a big role in the health of your dragon. Some of the things they call safe are not. We will be glad to help you through this.

Chengalang

Original Poster
Gormagon":1blmyc8v said:
Can you give us a rundown on the things you are getting, a proper start is the key to good healthy and, happy dragons.
lights (brand,wattage,style)
Substrate
Thermometers

These all play a big role in the health of your dragon. Some of the things they call safe are not. We will be glad to help you through this.

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptil...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000QFQ30K

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0009YJ3BE

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...8142748&sr=8-1&keywords=zoo+med+basking+light

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econ...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004PBB1JE

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptil...=1498142793&sr=8-3&keywords=reptile+substrate

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002AQDKO

These items with added reptile hiding huts, branches and feeding dishes

Chengalang

Original Poster
A couple of other options I have found online for everyday feeders may be Black Soldier Fly Larva, Repashy Grub Pie (as mentioned above), Hornworms and Wax Worms. If anyone could fact check me on those that would be great. Some of them are expensive like the hornworms, 625 count for $100 but I'm willing to go with those options since I can switch up the hornworms with wax or larva.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The only issues I saw were

Hammocks are nice but very dangerous. You will need to cover it with a no-snag material like fleece ect... They get their claws snagged in them and panic, which leads to pulled out nails, fingers and toes, broken bones and, dislocated joints.
Basking bulbs are too hot for that small viv. I heat my 2x2x4 with one 75watt bulb.
The thermometers you have there can be off as much as 20°+/-. I recommend an IR heat gun or digital thermometer with a wire probe. Much more accurate.
BSFL are a good staple food...excellent
Waxworms are to fatty and, addicting to dragons.
Hornworms from way to fast to buy that many.

We strive to help others be successful in their dragon adventures. This is the best advice I can give to you.
Everything else is fine.

Chengalang

Original Poster
Gormagon":120zwgm9 said:
The only issues I saw were

Hammocks are nice but very dangerous. You will need to cover it with a no-snag material like fleece ect... They get their claws snagged in them and panic, which leads to pulled out nails, fingers and toes, broken bones and, dislocated joints.
Basking bulbs are too hot for that small viv. I heat my 2x2x4 with one 75watt bulb.
The thermometers you have there can be off as much as 20°+/-. I recommend an IR heat gun or digital thermometer with a wire probe. Much more accurate.
BSFL are a good staple food...excellent
Waxworms are to fatty and, addicting to dragons.
Hornworms from way to fast to buy that many.

We strive to help others be successful in their dragon adventures. This is the best advice I can give to you.
Everything else is fine.

Very good information, thank you!
So BSFL would be a good everyday replacement for crickets with maybe mixing it up with hornworms (purchased in smaller quantitys) and crickets (I don't mind buying them 3-4 days a week from the pet store, just can't store them). can BSFL be bought from the store or online, if so, any recommendations?

MrsWolvie

Symtonbsf.com . . . Excellent price and they last a while if you store them properly. Sign up for the rewards program as well if you plan to keep feeding bsfl.

Chengalang

Original Poster
MrsWolvie":3ftylrj9 said:
Symtonbsf.com . . . Excellent price and they last a while if you store them properly. Sign up for the rewards program as well if you plan to keep feeding bsfl.

Thanks for the recommendation. Would I be feeding my dragon the prepupae around 1-3 months old then regular pupa after that and do I still follow the, how many my dragon can eat in a 10-15 minute period?

MrsWolvie

The larvae come in small, large, and I think they have jumbo. The smalls a REALLY small, I got the large for my girl when she was 1-3 months old and they were a good size. She ate between 20-30 per feeding. I attached a picture of her eating. In the pic the worms are wet from rinsing them off, I learned quick to dry them first or they will climb out of the bowl lol!!

91766-1775547141.jpg

-Savanah

MrsWolvie

Yeah that's the one! I wouldn't order too much at once tho, it took me about 2 weeks to go thru 600 bsfl. When you get them they will mostly be that white color you see but they turn black when they are getting close to turning into Flys. Also store them in a cool place but not the fridge or they will die. I stored them in a cooler with an ice pack that I changed out every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom