One last issue before buying a dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Tip: order all smalls and feed them up to large yourself. They will grow from small to large in about 4 days if feed on stuff like bread and re-fried beans or squash or whatever. Just stick to bread and veggie table scraps. I liked to have one small contain to put about 25-50 in at a time for feeding up, while leaving the others in the soil they shipped in.

Chengalang

Original Poster
Alright cool, thanks for the tip. Any recommendations on storing them? I'll have them in my closet / room. I'll be starting off by buying one container per week so they don't grow too large too fast for my dragon

charmander16

Juvie Member
They won't grow if you just leave them in the container they came in. They typically don't ship with any food. They can be stored for months in a cool dark area, but typically best to only get a few weeks supply at a time.

But honestly, not all dragons really love them, so I'd wait and see before ordering too many.

Chengalang

Original Poster
Sounds good, I'll order a small container to start off.

Hopefully my regime will be mainly BSFL twice a day, mixing it up with crickets, super worms (at 15 inches), and grub pie every so often.

Does that look solid?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Chengalang":3dmmge83 said:

Hopefully my regime will be mainly BSFL twice a day, mixing it up with crickets, super worms (at 15 inches), and grub pie every so often.

Does that look solid?

That sounds pretty good, just make sure not to feed supers too often, as they aren't great staples.

Chengalang

Original Poster
JessPets":2j2yxak8 said:
Chengalang":2j2yxak8 said:

Does that look solid?

That sounds pretty good, just make sure not to feed supers too often, as they aren't great staples.

Was reading 1-2 a day, 2-3 days a week

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Chengalang":2j5o1nj4 said:
JessPets":2j5o1nj4 said:
Chengalang":2j5o1nj4 said:

Does that look solid?

Was reading 1-2 a day, 2-3 days a week

That sounds fine to me

Chengalang

Original Poster
Do the dragons have to eat at the same time everyday or does there have to be a certain amount of times between meals?

I work 3-11 twice a week where I could feed twice before I leave the house (2 pm) or once before and once after work. Not sure if that would be too late.

I also work 7-3 twice and week and would be feeding anytime after 4.

I was going to do 9 am - 11 pm for my light cycle which kind of cancels out the post work meal.

I'm a morning person so usually by 9 am I have everything done and am free all day or until work

Apologize for the endless questions. I want to be sure what I want to do is acceptable before I jump on raising a dragon. I really appreciate everyone's responses and help, thanks a lot!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a routine based around my schedule but I like to mix up what and when I feed as much as I can. Keeping them guessing a bit keeps their hunting/foraging instincts in tact a bit rather than getting them so used to the same thing they become sedentary. I feel that can be unhealthy over time.

Chengalang

Original Poster
CooperDragon":wjvadi5n said:
I have a routine based around my schedule but I like to mix up what and when I feed as much as I can. Keeping them guessing a bit keeps their hunting/foraging instincts in tact a bit rather than getting them so used to the same thing they become sedentary. I feel that can be unhealthy over time.

Sweet, sounds like mixing it up isn't bad then. Do you think if I fed them 11 pm at night is too late? Or should I just double feed before 2 pm when I leave to work

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would shift your light cycle earlier so you can offer breakfast then maybe an afternoon meal. You want them to have at least couple of hours under the lights to digest after a meal. You can make a salad and leave that with them all day. When they are adults they eat salads every day and bugs only once or twice per week so it gets easier but the little guys need a couple of bug meals per day to support their big growth spurts.

Chengalang

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ggnn9j7 said:
I would shift your light cycle earlier so you can offer breakfast then maybe an afternoon meal. You want them to have at least couple of hours under the lights to digest after a meal. You can make a salad and leave that with them all day. When they are adults they eat salads every day and bugs only once or twice per week so it gets easier but the little guys need a couple of bug meals per day to support their big growth spurts.

Sounds good, won't feed after work. Maybe change up their light cycle to 8 am to 10 pm and make some curtain system to block out light when I get home from work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom