Honestly, reptiles are not good pets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
We got a reptile because my kid wanted one and I didn't know any better.

Now that we have our dragon, we love him and we've gone all out to provide the best care possible, but since taking this on I've learned a lot and from what I can see, honestly, reptiles should not be sold and marketed as pets to the degree that they are. They are VASTLY over marketed and over sold.

We are enjoying our dragon and we are providing a good home, but I can see that it requires a huge effort and a lot of research and resources. I'm an engineer, with a good job, solid income, stable house, etc. Caring for a reptile is hard for someone like me. I've been someone who couldn't do it in the past. It's just like having kids. Yeah, I'm doing it now, but I know I've been at many points in my life when I couldn't have done it (well). I've had many points in my life when I couldn't possibly have cared for a reptile.

Can some people take good care of them? Yes, absolutely. Can some people truly enjoy them? Of course. Can some people provide them with a truly enjoyable life? Sure...

However, I'd be willing to bet that only about 5% or perhaps less of the reptiles that make it into a pet store end up in a good home home for a lifetime. That's appalling. I could be wrong, but I seriously don't think so.

I think that Pet Smart and PetCo and the internet have played a big role in expanding the reptile market to a point well beyond what it should be. IMO, no reptile has any business in a big box pet store. I'd even go so far as to say that concerned reptile owners should lobby to force removal of all reptiles from chain stores.

I think we need to do a better job as a community of being honest about reptile care and ownership.

I see too many articles and posts on the internet, by well meaning people in most cases, promoting reptile ownership or help guides that send the message, "you can do it!"

What we should be saying is: "Honestly, owning a reptile is hard and expensive and not nearly as interactive or rewarding as owning a dog or cat, but it can be done. If you really want to do it, these are tips to be successful, but in all honestly, you probably shouldn't."

When we got ours I bought my initial setup from someone off craigslist. He said that his sadly died after 7 years. From what I've now learned I can see why. His setup was horrible, and he seemed like a nice guy who really tried.

He had a 40 gallon tank, the wrong kind of UVB light, a red light for night heat, and crushed walnut for substrate.

Pet stores don't even carry the right food for most reptiles, let alone bearded dragons. Honestly, you could never maintain any reptile based on food available from Pet Smart. As a store, if you can't sell the food required to maintain an animal you shouldn't sell the animal. Actually supporting most reptiles will require that you breed your own food.

I used to wonder why pet stores didn't have older bearded dragons for sale, like 4-6 month olds. My thought was that dragons are still pretty hard to care for at 2 months old, so if you could buy them at 4-6 months old then it would be much easier. Now I realize that they don't have dragons past 2 months old because they don't survive that long. They are either sold or they die. Most pet stores can't afford to maintain reptiles for very long. They only provide just enough care to keep them alive for a month or so. I'd go so far as to say that most reptiles in most pet stores are in the process of dying. Maybe some of the turtles are doing a little better, but not much.

And, as a former Floridian, I'm well aware of the impact of released pets into the wild (Florida is the king of invasive species). I haven't even researched invasive bearded dragons, because I'm afraid of what I'd find, but if we don't already have a problem with invasive bearded dragons in the US, I'm certain that we will. I'd like to see a permanent warning on the home page of this site against the release of dragons, or any reptile, into the wild. It needs to be clear that, under no circumstance should they ever be released. If you can't care for them and can't give them away, then you have to euthanize them - period. You cannot release them, ever.

I'm extremely grateful for the resources that this website and community provides, but we need to be honest and, IMO, we should not *promote* reptile ownership.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Here's my two cents on this:

1) Most pet stores are under knowledgeable. They do not go to the intense research or should say lack of time to go through and actually find out what is right for the reptile. Here's what they recommended me to buy when i first bought my BD:

Mini dome lights/Compact lights are fine to use (NOT SAFE AND AVOID)
Night light also fine to use (NO LIGHT MUST BE USED THEY NEED COMPLETE DARKNESS)
Calci-Sand is fine to use as substrate - DANGEROUS AND CAUSES IMPACTION
Get at least one big wood log as their basking site area and that's all. Of course leave a small water dish bowl. - Having decor in the tank makes them feel more secure and safe. Also, as a small baby bearded/juvenile BD it makes them less stressful. Keeps them entertained and not "bored".

Food: I have asked how many crickets should be eating and they said 4/5 a day :( Also, feeding baby BD meal worms is a brilliant idea... WRONG! Also, feed your BD some veggies here are some things to feed:
Spinach, Kale (Calcium binders) and some fruit, apples, papaya and carrots (these are high in sugar and causes loose stools aka diarrhea for BD) They did not explain how much and what i can use as a staple. None info was provided just a brief statement about food. Oh and also, give them these food pellets which that is controversial because every BD is different. Mine hates them with a passion he prefers the real deal.

Also, they said 40G tank is the biggest and ONLY tank you will need once they will get bigger. Why would they say this? Because that is the biggest terrarium that they carry in the store.

That pretty much sums it up for the IN STORE PET ASSOCIATES KNOWLEDGE.

As you can see most pet stores really do not know what they are telling. In fact, its really sad because it does not matter what budget you are on, every reptile is affordable. YES it can be, but if you want to have the pet thrive and live long, you have to spend a bit more on quality products.

2) Most people do it for the money. Breed these reptiles to make a dollar. I understand that everyone needs a job but... IMO i do not think its right for that reason. If two bearded dragons mate and its natural fine. Just imagine yourself. You have kids right. Well you want to put your kids up for money? That is pretty sad IMO. Mass produce and then sell them on the market.

For my particular reason, I suffer from some things such as anexity, PTSD some things that will not go over too much as this is not a medical forum but it has been helping me. I know a dog or a cat they say is better but i cannot have a dog or a cat where i live. I love animals and i will not abuse any animal. But it does help/cope with my life. So therefore, I believe that everyone if you are going to buy ANY PET / ANIMAL please do yourself a favor and do the research. Find out, how much is it going to be on electricity bills? Water? How much do i have to spend on food for the animal, etc.

Bearded dragons DO AND MAKE GREAT PETS!! I have seen other people who own BD last a long time with proper care. Just everyone is different situation so you have to think about yours and see IF IT IS RIGHT FOR YOU. Not every reptile is suitable for everyone.

All I can say is DO RESEARCH BEFORE PURCHASING and LEARN ALL YOU CAN so you can make informative decision :D

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
There is a huge gap of care, dedication and I dare say ethics between "entry level" reptiles (bearded dragons, leopard geckos, corn snakes and ball pythons) and most other species. I absolutely agree that chain pet stores shouldn't be allowed to sell animals (at all), I refuse to patron them in any degree.

To be fair though, the majority of animals sold at pet stores are going to live a short life of suffering, not just reptiles. Fish, rodents, birds, hermit crabs and pretty much any other animal sold in chain stores are going to homes that are not equipped, prepared or educated to care for them properly. Reptiles don't have the monopoly on hard to care for exotics - even most rabbits are going to end up poorly cared for to the extent that vets are more surprised when they are cared for properly than improperly.

As to the reptiles specifically... the critters like beardies that are found in pet stores by the pile, are pretty indestructible when it comes down to it. It would be hard to believe based on the sheer amount of ER posts on this forum but bearded dragons can suffer incredible neglect and still do fine. It's something no one really wants to say but most of the issues on here are husbandry problems. Small cages. Limited diet. Poor lighting and heat.... Many other reptiles can die from just the stress of captivity alone - dragons are tanks by comparison.

There is a lot of delicacy about hurting people's feelings but the fact of the matter is even groups like this are softening the blow of just how much goes into high quality care. Personally I have at least $1000 into my dragon's sets up, and a few hundred into each of my three snakes. It's not at ALL what I expected from caresheets and other owners but I honestly could not in good consious keep them any other way. I don't mind promoting reptiles as pets, but absolutely not under false pretenses ofnit being cheep or easy. I push back daily on the "minimum" standard of care and any animal as a pet for children.

On the other hand there are many and more amazing keepers that go that extra mile to keep amazing habitats and healthy animals. Advancing Herpetological Husbandry on Facebook is a really inspiring group I'd urge you to check out.

Lastly "do your research" is still selling things short when it comes to beginner reptiles. It is much easier to find bad or mediocre advice than it is to find good advice. I did a fair amount of research with my reptiles but it wasn't until after having them and continueing to learn (from books and journals and not care sheets) that I've been really able to give them good lives. I have had better luck finding good information about more difficult species like chameleons and monitors simple because there isn't so much garbage floating around too.

Some examples:
40g breeder - this site suggests that size is adequate in the care guides • Poor lighting advice - this site recommends T8 lighting in its official guides • Enrichment - many care sheets and threads on this site encourage simple and sterile setups, limited climbing, no digging • All loose substrate "causes" impaction • normalization of stress behavior like glass dancing • conflicting advice on insect gutloading, "ideal staples" and diet • myths about anatomy and the physics of habitat design.... I can go on and on...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep ... 100% on the money tater....

when someone comes here with a problem and they state lighting and temperatures are perfect yet don't bother say what these are ... honestly I cringe .... I know from experience 9 times out of 10 the problem is down to the a bad set up (inadequate UV , bad quality UV, bad substrate , bad husbandry , bad diet , in appropriate temperatures ) but they think they have it down pat based on bad advise they've received , some get upset when you ask for details in order to check and maybe help them tweek things so their pet can be healthy and happy.

There is no lizard that I would regard as a beginners pet , and if you going to give the best care , this can't be done on the cheap . It is time consuming and costly caring for a pet lizard (any pet lizard), fortunately setup can be one off expense , but there is electricity , live insects, regular replacements of UV sources and sometimes a visit to a vet , if you aren't ready or willing to do that , get a pet rock.

I waited until I was retired to take on lizards as pets because I knew I would have the time needed to properly care for them and enrich their lives and while I was working I didn't have the time or energy I could give to them.
I'm prepared to do what it takes to give my pet lizards the best possible care I am capable of and I do not cheap out on lighting and their food. I reckon my pet skinks and beardies are better than any pet cat or dog.

Breeding - for me .... I'd never be able to give up my babies (skinks) or hatchlings (dragons) , and would soon be overrun with the offspring - so it's not going to happen.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
kingofnobbys":3mrwxrpw said:
There is no lizard that I would regard as a beginners pet , and if you going to give the best care , this can't be done on the cheap . It is time consuming and costly caring for a pet lizard (any pet lizard), fortunately setup can be one off expense , but there is electricity , live insects, regular replacements of UV sources and sometimes a visit to a vet , if you aren't ready or willing to do that , get a pet rock.
I'm a huge promoter of pet bugs :) a bit more lively than rocks but not too much more care.

This is something I struggle with conceptually. Cause everyone needs to start somewhere but people are generally going to much more engaged and invest in the animal they have passion for than one that's "an easy beginner." If there is passion and an end goal such as someone who wants a Bosc or Tegu and nothing else, they don't care if their pet never likes them and will need it's own bedroom... then yeah - dive into research till your eyes bleed. If someone just wants "a lizard" then a beardie, leopard gecko or crested gecko is probably going to be a more forgiving and rewarding pet. Done right they will cost a fair bit, no avoiding that, but so do goldfish.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Anyone saying that caring for a reptile "can fit any budget" is part of the problem IMO. That's simply not true.

It may be true that if you really know what you are doing you can bring the cost down, but that's not at all the same thing as talking about first time pet owners being able to do it on the cheap.

If you are a first time reptile owner, then to provide "good" care for your reptile, I am very comfortable saying you will need to spend at least $500 in your first year on a dragon and it can easily be over $1,000, and lifetime costs will be well over $5,000 when you consider the food, etc.

You WILL make mistakes. You will waste money on the wrong equipment. You will buy the wrong food. You will need to get a new habitat. I don't think any first time owners is going to start out with the right habitat on day one. You're going to start out with a $50 to $300 tank, and you're going to need to replace that with a custom build within a year or 2. I mean 95% of the time that's what's going to happen.

Le't not talk about all the exceptions to the rule, that's not the point.

Being able to care for reptiles "cheaply" is something that only comes with experience and trial and error and the acquisition of equipment. Yes, maybe a herp that's been doing it for 5 years can get to a point where they can take on a new reptile cheaply, but that's not the same as a 15 year old going down to Pet Smart or even an independent reptile store and buying a lizard, snake or turtle.

And I mean turtles are some of the most abandoned pets in the country right now. It should be much harder to acquire reptiles IMO, and we need to stop sugar coating the care level. This is hard stuff.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
charmander16":3jd4j4nh said:
We got a reptile because my kid wanted one and I didn't know any better.

Now that we have our dragon, we love him and we've gone all out to provide the best care possible, but since taking this on I've learned a lot and from what I can see, honestly, reptiles should not be sold and marketed as pets to the degree that they are. They are VASTLY over marketed and over sold.

We are enjoying our dragon and we are providing a good home, but I can see that it requires a huge effort and a lot of research and resources. I'm an engineer, with a good job, solid income, stable house, etc. Caring for a reptile is hard for someone like me. I've been someone who couldn't do it in the past. It's just like having kids. Yeah, I'm doing it now, but I know I've been at many points in my life when I couldn't have done it (well). I've had many points in my life when I couldn't possibly have cared for a reptile.

Can some people take good care of them? Yes, absolutely. Can some people truly enjoy them? Of course. Can some people provide them with a truly enjoyable life? Sure...

However, I'd be willing to bet that only about 5% or perhaps less of the reptiles that make it into a pet store end up in a good home home for a lifetime. That's appalling. I could be wrong, but I seriously don't think so.

I think that Pet Smart and PetCo and the internet have played a big role in expanding the reptile market to a point well beyond what it should be. IMO, no reptile has any business in a big box pet store. I'd even go so far as to say that concerned reptile owners should lobby to force removal of all reptiles from chain stores.

I think we need to do a better job as a community of being honest about reptile care and ownership.

I see too many articles and posts on the internet, by well meaning people in most cases, promoting reptile ownership or help guides that send the message, "you can do it!"

What we should be saying is: "Honestly, owning a reptile is hard and expensive and not nearly as interactive or rewarding as owning a dog or cat, but it can be done. If you really want to do it, these are tips to be successful, but in all honestly, you probably shouldn't."

When we got ours I bought my initial setup from someone off craigslist. He said that his sadly died after 7 years. From what I've now learned I can see why. His setup was horrible, and he seemed like a nice guy who really tried.

He had a 40 gallon tank, the wrong kind of UVB light, a red light for night heat, and crushed walnut for substrate.

Pet stores don't even carry the right food for most reptiles, let alone bearded dragons. Honestly, you could never maintain any reptile based on food available from Pet Smart. As a store, if you can't sell the food required to maintain an animal you shouldn't sell the animal. Actually supporting most reptiles will require that you breed your own food.

I used to wonder why pet stores didn't have older bearded dragons for sale, like 4-6 month olds. My thought was that dragons are still pretty hard to care for at 2 months old, so if you could buy them at 4-6 months old then it would be much easier. Now I realize that they don't have dragons past 2 months old because they don't survive that long. They are either sold or they die. Most pet stores can't afford to maintain reptiles for very long. They only provide just enough care to keep them alive for a month or so. I'd go so far as to say that most reptiles in most pet stores are in the process of dying. Maybe some of the turtles are doing a little better, but not much.

And, as a former Floridian, I'm well aware of the impact of released pets into the wild (Florida is the king of invasive species). I haven't even researched invasive bearded dragons, because I'm afraid of what I'd find, but if we don't already have a problem with invasive bearded dragons in the US, I'm certain that we will. I'd like to see a permanent warning on the home page of this site against the release of dragons, or any reptile, into the wild. It needs to be clear that, under no circumstance should they ever be released. If you can't care for them and can't give them away, then you have to euthanize them - period. You cannot release them, ever.

I'm extremely grateful for the resources that this website and community provides, but we need to be honest and, IMO, we should not *promote* reptile ownership.

You bring up many valid points. I refer to my dragon as a "hobby" clean the tank, cut vegetables, feed him etc.... It is alot of work. Do I recommend ppl buying one? Not if you're not commited to what's involved in owning one. I always say its alot of work and time consumming..

Would I get another one? Probably not im 45 right now and would like to travel more later on a reptile is not easy to get a "babysitter" lol my family is ok with it but its the bugs and stuff that's hard for them.Leaving my cats for the weekend no problem leaving a reptile for a weekend without anyone around? how? They need veggies and such..what if the light burn out..lol
When you see the pamphlets at petsmart its says beginner reptile??? Sheesh no way! What child can take good care of the reptile without having alot of $$. Two years ago my 10 year old wanted one and I did some research and I said no way I cannot commit to that type of care, so he got a cornsnake instead.

Why do company's sell the wrong equipment?? That is so wrong ,. That's should be the first thing to get rectified! Why not make a kit with the right stuff in it?? Boggles my mind..

I do promote this website when ppl tell me that have a bearded dragon hoping they will find the right information but we have a long way to go before fixing the problem which starts at certain pet stores...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
charmander16":qzc7dfy3 said:
Anyone saying that caring for a reptile "can fit any budget" is part of the problem IMO. That's simply not true.

It may be true that if you really know what you are doing you can bring the cost down, but that's not at all the same thing as talking about first time pet owners being able to do it on the cheap.

If you are a first time reptile owner, then to provide "good" care for your reptile, I am very comfortable saying you will need to spend at least $500 in your first year on a dragon and it can easily be over $1,000, and lifetime costs will be well over $5,000 when you consider the food, etc.

You WILL make mistakes. You will waste money on the wrong equipment. You will buy the wrong food. You will need to get a new habitat. I don't think any first time owners is going to start out with the right habitat on day one. You're going to start out with a $50 to $300 tank, and you're going to need to replace that with a custom build within a year or 2. I mean 95% of the time that's what's going to happen.

Le't not talk about all the exceptions to the rule, that's not the point.

Being able to care for reptiles "cheaply" is something that only comes with experience and trial and error and the acquisition of equipment. Yes, maybe a herp that's been doing it for 5 years can get to a point where they can take on a new reptile cheaply, but that's not the same as a 15 year old going down to Pet Smart or even an independent reptile store and buying a lizard, snake or turtle.

And I mean turtles are some of the most abandoned pets in the country right now. It should be much harder to acquire reptiles IMO, and we need to stop sugar coating the care level. This is hard stuff.

Here (in Australia) a reptile enthusiast must obtain a keepers' licence from the respective state government at least annually to be able to even buy a reptile, you can not simply walk into a pet shop and buy a reptile on a whim and walk out with it in box 5 minutes later , the shop (or breeder or keeper who is selling it) is required to
1) see your licence to keep that type of reptile and make a note in their keeper's record book of your full name , address and licence number and details about the animal ,
2) provide the buyer with their details (as above) and show the seller their licence
and all this before take your money or credit card details.

And as a keeper you are obligated to update your keepers' record book and online record book at least annually.

You need this kind of system over there - much less problems here with inappropriate buyers taking home reptiles they bought on a whim and without the foggiest clue about how to care for.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":yg6hmlwo said:
Here (in Australia) a reptile enthusiast must obtain a keepers' licence from the respective state government at least annually to be able to even buy a reptile, you can not simply walk into a pet shop and buy a reptile on a whim and walk out with it in box 5 minutes later , the shop (or breeder or keeper who is selling it) is required to
1) see your licence to keep that type of reptile and make a note in their keeper's record book of your full name , address and licence number and details about the animal ,
2) provide the buyer with their details (as above) and show the seller their licence
and all this before take your money or credit card details.

And as a keeper you are obligated to update your keepers' record book and online record book at least annually.

You need this kind of system over there - much less problems here with inappropriate buyers taking home reptiles they bought on a whim and without the foggiest clue about how to care for.

Agreed, and Pet Smart would lobby against that like crazy. No way anyone will get this legislation past the pet trade industry. They'd spend tens of millions, if not , more fighting it.

And some people have said that it's bad for all types of pets, but I think reptiles have it the worst.

I think the disconnect between the perception of care needed and the actual care needed is greatest for reptiles. Also many reptiles live a long time, like 15+ years, whereas many small mammals and bird have max lifespans of only 1-5 years anyway.

Also, reptiles are so different from us, they require much different habitats than people do. Most other mammals can live easily in a human habitat. Reptiles can't.

When you start really looking into the nutritional and environmental requirements to allow them to actually thrive, its daunting. Yeah, you can maybe keep them alive, but providing quality of life is a whole different matter.

I'm not saying at all that it can't be done. Obviously many of us here are doing it, I'm just saying that it seems to me that in the past 10 years the idea of reptiles as "typical pets" has been normalized in a way that is far from accurate and far from good for the reptiles.

These are difficult animals to harbor and it takes zoo level commitment to do it. You can get a cat or a dog do almost nothing other than put cheap dry food out for them and they'll be okay. Even hamsters and such are pretty easy.

I just think a perception has been created that many reptiles are animals that you can just buy, throw in a tank and treat them kind of like fish. I mean even fish can be pretty difficult to care for, but still nothing compared to reptiles. And this perception is created largely by big box pet stores and by advocates on the web IMO.

Anyway....

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You can really make the same arguments for most any animals you find at a pet store though.

Regarding life span: Most pet store pets die young. I would put money on it without flinching. 1-5 years is accurate only for small rodents, really. Just thinking of the animals my local chain store sells...Budgies and finches have a 5-8 year life span even up to 12 years, similar to dragons. Cockatiels 10-20 years. Conures 20-30 years. Rabbits 8-12 years. Comet goldfish 5-14 years. Plecostumus "algae eaters" 10-15 years. Chinchillas 10 years. Guinea pigs 4-8 years. Ferrets 6-10 years. Hermit crabs 20-30 years. Mice 1-2 years (prone to tumors). Rats 2-3 years (prone to tumors). Most fish are sold as babies and die before ever reaching adulthood.

Diet: Many pet stores don't sell food that's great for any exotic. I had to order mouse food from eBay when I had them. (And honestly the mice were way more upkeep than the lizard). Birds too, many "diets" sold in stores are not great.

Welfare and quality of life: really it doesn't matter how long they live pets aren't cheep to keep in a really quality way. Rodents live relatively short lives but the amount of cleaning to keep them from stinking is more than any of my reptiles have been. They are also very smart and require lots of enrichment and interaction, often with others of their species, to be happy. Even the space requiremts for rodents are bigger than the garbage they sell at the pet store. Same goes for many birds - few birds are given the appropriate nutrition, UV lighting and enrichment to keep them happy.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with a lot of the points brought out but another huge factor is that people simply lose interest after a while or decide they have more important things come up in their lives which may include traumatic life events [ which could make it understandable ....and I'm not saying that about anyone here ] The same thing happens with dogs + cats....and these can be listed in the abused/neglects category way near the top of the list. Feral cats, uncared for dogs tied up for most their lives or shuffled to another home or shelter number in the millions .

Some reptiles make good pets, and people may initially shovel out large sums of money [ admittedly on improper equipment many times ] but thanks to the internet they CAN find pretty good advice if they take time to look in the right place.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, they make great pets, in some cases better than dogs or cats because they are quiet, won't tear up your house and won't do their business in your floor.
But unlike cats and dogs reptiles are totally dependent on you. It takes commitment and the willingness to go the distance. If a person is not willing to make the commitment, they should even consider it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wanted to address something that Tater mentioned, the fact that Reptisun 10.0 t8 is still recommended on the guide here. Back in the 90's we didn't even have the 10.0....we all used the Reptisun t8 5.0 and my [ and other owners + breeders ] had healthy dragons back then. I can remember using a display case and mounting my " top of the line " uvb 5.0 about 7-10" from where my dragons basked. I had big, healthy dragons so those bulbs worked. Here are pics from a page out of a 1996 vivarium magazine [ Reptiles mags. had the same ads ] advertising the Reptisun 5.0 as the best bulb on the market in 1996.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29955/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29997/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30022/full

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
AHBD":3brrj21d said:
I wanted to address something that Tater mentioned, the fact that Reptisun 10.0 t8 is still recommended on the guide here. Back in the 90's we didn't even have the 10.0....we all used the Reptisun t8 5.0 and my [ and other owners + breeders ] had healthy dragons back then. I can remember using a display case and mounting my " top of the line " uvb 5.0 about 7-10" from where my dragons basked. I had big, healthy dragons so those bulbs worked. Here are pics from a page out of a 1996 vivarium magazine [ Reptiles mags. had the same ads ] advertising the Reptisun 5.0 as the best bulb on the market in 1996.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29955/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29997/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30022/full

I'm not sure the intent of this? Is it to suggest that a 5.0 would be just fine too? Or that there is no need to keep advancing the "standard" equipment referrals?

From a welfare stand point - is it better to try and emulate the environment these critters evolved in or to give them what's been shown as "enough to keep them alive and breeding"? This is a debate across the whole reptile industry, not just dragons so again not a personal statement against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom