Coloring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there other bearded owners...I just have maybe a question..or just needing reassurance.I've kinda seen how other beardies will change color.our lil zelda girl is maybe 4 mos..maybe 5.had her about a month and a half now.I've noticed more and more she'll just be her usual basking self..finally got the lighting and Temps right..but there are times when she'll be almost black in color.she's acting fine,eating more w/the bugs I got her..example:crickets,superworms,wax worms,black fly larva and she loves her dubia roaches.yes dusted. .poops fine..very curious and cuddles.but she'll get almost black,on top and underneath on her belly and neck.when we have her out and she gets a lil cooler,she turns a very light tan color.sometimes she flattens out like a pancake.usually I put her back in her 100°+ tank to warm up again.she's also shedding again,cleaned her tank today and all kinds of shed on her carpet.idk if I need to worry cuz I haven't seen much of these stress marks that other owners have mentioned. Cuz when she turns black,she has these dark marks under her too.but she's just chill..just basking away all google eyed.sometimes,esp at night she'll scratch away at glass.idk of that means she wants out,or she sees her reflection??does this whether lights off or not.she has lots of out time in afternoon. Btwn my kids and i,she gets lots of attn.I've read that turning dark is just their way of soaking up more uv rays..??just need reassurance I guess that's she's ok.I mean everything else going ok.
91005-6810780964.jpg
91005-2471865076.jpg
91005-4385917336.jpg

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
The "stress" lines and darker colors do not always indicate stress. It's actually kind of a misnomer. It seems like you have your temps right, but is it the basking spot that is 100F and above? You need a good temperature gradient. The warm end ambient temperature should be about 95-100, basking spot should be 105-110, and cool end should be around 80-85. As far as the glass surfing, she may be intimidated by her own reflection. Any paper, cardboard, or background should help solve that. Do you have any other pets? Cats or dogs, if in the beardie's line of sight, can be intimidating for them, too.

Zelda1Jasmine

Original Poster
Hi..thx for reply..I have a small 10 gal tank starter set that I got at pet store where I got our zelda girl.they weren't very informative at all.best advice I've gotten was on here at this site or just searching up stuff on internet.her hot side is around 103°-109°..cooler side around 83°.she likes to climb and chill oh her branches,or gets on top of her wall thing or just wherever she roams.we do have 2 cats..one doesn't even pay her no mind but the younger one is more curious.even if I have to head out somewhere, we put our cats in Laundry rm where the food and such is.they have plenty of rm.our zelda girl is watched and esp when she's out having time w/us.she's a curious lil thing and darn fast..get her on the floor and it's a tiny jurassic wiggle waddle scurry across.thought about putting something on side of her tank..she got her wall and a background scene we drew for the back.I don't ever really see any stress marks other than when she gets all black from basking.I have 2 digital temp gauges on both sides of tank.she really likes chilling on the window blinds,just looking out.been gray rain here..ugh.she loves the sunny days but are few here.can't wait til summer and we can get her outside.she's also very flexible.she's got both her back legs stretched way out,or she'll have one leg all stretched out.earlier,her back leg stretched to her front leg when I was holding her.she does the splits alot,it's funny.she was out a bit ago and turned her lighter tan color, in tank now w/one back leg all stretched out,her front all propped up in their stance turning dark.I think she likes the fringes on my throw sweater.anyway..I know I need bigger tank,sooner the better,just gotta wait to have enough funds to do so.she seems content tho.but thx for the reassurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom