How to give a beardie a bath??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wanting to give Mystic a bath for quite some time now. But I don't know how to properly do it. And I know Google is just going to give me a Wikipedia answer, like it always does, and I don't trust Wikipedia. Anyone who's ever given their beardie a bath, mind helping me out?

With my beardie I will usually put her in the bath tub with warm water not past her head. Or i have a container that i use when I don't want to put her in the bath tub. I've heard that many beardies like water and mine dosen't but, she has been getting used to it. So, if your beardie doesn't like water just gradually introduce the water to him/her.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Dragons generally do not need a bath unless they are soiled, soaking an injury, or need assistance "passing food."
There are some dragons that do enjoy just soaking and some enjoy swimming, but as a desert dweller they don't have a need for a bath and could cause more harm than good, i.e respiratory issues and stress. If your dragon does not enjoy them, don't force them, as they are not necessary.

My oldest enjoys soaking, so I will run the sink water on warm, not too hot, to about her chest level and gently set her in. She'll sometimes want a drink while there, so I'll drip bath water onto her mouth for her to lick up. She will soak for about 10-20 minutes before showing signs of wanting out.

My youngest hates baths, but I offer them in cases where I know he needs to poop and does not want to soil his vivarium. Same method, warm, chest level water. As soon as he starts to go, I drain the water, remove him after the deed is done, clean up the mess, towel pat him dry, put him back in his basking light, and go back to bleach/clean the sink thoroughly. I do not keep him in any longer than necessary as he does not enjoy soaking.

Ancline

I made a little "beardie bath" for about $12 that my beardie really enjoys. I bought a large pan from the dollar tree (pan for colecting oil when doing an oil change) make sure it's BPA free though. Also bought 2 bags of rocks from the dollar tree to give the floor some texture and gradient (one side of the pan should be higher than the other). Then on Amazon there's a tiny pump that's about $8.50 that spits water straight up to make a little fountain. Beardies tend to like moving water more than they like still water, my beardie likes to sit on the water jet and let the water massage his belly, lol.
By beardie hates the tub or sink but enjoys a nice swim in the beardie bath I made him.

Here's the pump I got from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EWENKXO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492546538&sr=8-1&keywords=fountain+pump

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a turkey roasting pan as a bathtub because it's portable, easy to fill/dump, and clean. It's about the right size for an adult dragon. I don't usually offer baths unless my dragon gets stinky and needs one but he likes baths so it's not a big deal. Some dragons are stressed out by baths in which case I would avoid them if possible.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A plastic baby bath (with a flat bottom) works for adult beardies, plenty of room to turn around and splash about.
A 2 LITRE Clearvue food tub works well for little hatchlings.
I put the bath on coffee table or on the floor depending on the lizard.

I use my non-contact laser thermometer to get the temperature , and essentially start with hot water from the hot water shower tap, the add cold water from a jug until I get the desired temperature (34oC for beardies, 32oC for skinks).

Gave Peppa her first ever bath today (she'd not been to the toilet for 13 days , and even olive oil every second day for the last week failed to get things moving). She's nearly 19 lunar months old.

She seems to like the luke warm bath , sat there and pancaked and brighten up for a while , then started scratching with her feet and hands and moving about (like she was trying to swim) and after about 10 minutes and a bit of tummy rubbing she delivered her log jamb..... I've never been so happy to see and smell poo.

I only had enough water in the baby's bath to come up to her side fringes. I think it's important that they be able to feel the bottom and they are likely to panic if they can't touch the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom