My Bearded Dragon Won't Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new bearded dragon owner. I've had my beardie for about 2-3 weeks. I usually feed her a Flukers cricket and give her 3-4 pieces of baby kale. I was on vacation for three days and my older brother looked after Hazel (my bearded dragon's name). He told me that she wasn't eating but was doing fine. I got home to find that she was shedding. Could shedding be the cause of her not wanting to eat? She is also acting strange because, she usually sits on the warm side but, she is sitting on the cool side right now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is she? If she's young she should be eating lots of bugs. Shedding can certainly have an effect on her mood and appetite so that may be playing a role. What do you have in place for her lighting and what are the temps across the tank? That can also have an effect on appetite.

beardeddragonlover21

Original Poster
Shes about maybe 3 months or so, not longer than my index finger (not counting tail). Her temperature in the tank only gets to about 90-95 degrees (on the warm side).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah at that age I would offer 2-3 bug meals per day, all she wants to eat in about a 10 minute window or until she loses interest.

It's important to have accurate temperature readings of both the basking area and cool side. I recommend using a digital thermometer with a probe - one for the basking surface and one for the cool side surface - like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ or an IR temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK You want to create a nice gradient between the hot side and cool side so there are plenty of options. The basking area should read around 100-110 and the cool side should read around 75-85 or so.

In addition to that, it's critical to provide proper UVB exposure. Which type of UVB light are you using? How far is it above the basking area?

Both proper heat and proper UVB exposure will have a direct impact on appetite and overall health so it's important to get everything dialed in really well in the lighting department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom