New beardie not basking or eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniferr

Hi all,
I have just adopted my first beardie and got him home 3 days ago now
The first night he seemed fine, he ate 5 worms and had a run around the floor, then next morning he ate 1 locust and hasn't eaten since.
I put it down to stress and probably being very tired from the move and everything
But since yesterday afternoon he has been in the cool side of his tank (in the far corner) kind of standing on his hind legs, he looked sleepy and he'd been up about 11 hours so I turned off his lights and everything hoping he just needed some time out. I also covered up the tank so he didn't get disturbed
This morning I have turned on his lights and left him for about half an hour, when I came back and uncovered him he was still in exactly the same position, I stroked his head and he was so cold so I have moved him myself under the basking light and he has stayed exactly where I put him.

He hasn't eaten, or drunk from what I've seen, and he's just letting himself get cold?
I am now a little concerned so I am turning to you guys :(
As for the tank, I am not sure of brands of lighting but he has a UVB and a basking lamp in there, he is in a 4ft viv.
The temp is a little dodgy in there but we think that is because it's new set up and it needs some time to kind of roll into a working pattern, it's on about 90 on the hot side and just below 90 on the cool side. I know the hot side needs to warm up so I am going to get a ceramic heat lamp for him?
He is 9months old and I am now getting concerned. I don't want to keep touching him if it's stress but I don't want to leave him because I'm a new beardie owner and I might be missing something!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jenniferr":1wsed5xq said:
Hi all,
I have just adopted my first beardie and got him home 3 days ago now <<< how big is he in grams ?
The first night he seemed fine, he ate 5 worms and had a run around the floor, then next morning he ate 1 locust and hasn't eaten since. <<< what kind of worms ?
I put it down to stress and probably being very tired from the move and everything
But since yesterday afternoon he has been in the cool side of his tank (in the far corner) kind of standing on his hind legs, he looked sleepy and he'd been up about 11 hours so I turned off his lights and everything hoping he just needed some time out. I also covered up the tank so he didn't get disturbed <<< Glass walled tank ? check the tank temperatures, he may be feeling too hot ?
This morning I have turned on his lights and left him for about half an hour, when I came back and uncovered him he was still in exactly the same position, I stroked his head and he was so cold so I have moved him myself under the basking light and he has stayed exactly where I put him.

He hasn't eaten, or drunk from what I've seen, and he's just letting himself get cold?
I am now a little concerned so I am turning to you guys :(
As for the tank, I am not sure of brands of lighting but he has a UVB and a basking lamp in there, he is in a 4ft viv. <<<< very important to know exactly what the lights are , especially the UV source ...
The temp is a little dodgy in there but we think that is because it's new set up and it needs some time to kind of roll into a working pattern, it's on about 90 on the hot side <<< sounds OK , but your measurement may be in error if you are using dial or strip type thermometer (they are highly inaccurate) and just below 90 on the cool side. I know the hot side needs to warm up so I am going to get a ceramic heat lamp for him? <<< A CHE will be very helpful if your basking bulb is not producing enough heat during the day and to keep his tank warm overnight (good to have the tank warmer than 21degC overnight IMO for a beardie.
He is 9months old and I am now getting concerned. <<<< at 9 months old I was still giving my young dragons two live insect meals per day.
I don't want to keep touching him if it's stress but I don't want to leave him because I'm a new beardie owner and I might be missing something
<<<< Sounds like he is very depressed due to the relocation and stressed and there are likely issues with the tanks daytime temperatures and the amount of UVA he's being exposed too, and likely that his lighting and feeding schedules can do with some tweeking.

So that we can help we need a LOT EXACT DETAIlS about your dragon's setup and it's very wise for
you need to double check the following

... TEMPERATURES ?
........daytime warm zone
........overnight
........basking spot
........ how are you measuring your temperatures ?
........ TOO COLD = SLEEPY DRAGON

... UVA AND UVB ADEQUATE ?
........is the uv rated AT LEAST 10%UVB ?
........COMPACT & WATTAGE ? , T8 ? , T5 ? OR MVB ?
........is it covered ? == BAD
........is it sitting ontop a mesh top ? == BAD
........how far from basking spot ? too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
........UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term ,
and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too long long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

... TANK
....... size (L x W x H) and construction , photos of the setup are often helpful .

... SUBSTRATE ?
........is it sand ? == BAD AND IF CALCISAND EXTREMELY BAD/LETHAL
........is it particulate ? == BAD

... SHARING TANK ? == BAD

... TOO SHORT A PHOTOPERIOD (lights are not kept on long enough each day , will make beardie think it is winter , recommend at least 14 HRS PER DAY)

... FEEDING SCHEDULE (I recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)
....... when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ?
....... when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ?

... What season is it (there where you live)

and

... weather can have an impact on your beardie's behavior, so what had the weather been like in the problem period ?

Jenniferr

Original Poster
Hi, he seems to be doing a lot better now. Thankyou
He has eaten locusts and a few super worms (they're only treats i know but it's better than nothing) this morning and his stress marks have lightened up a lot.
I think it was just the stress of moving, plus I think he might be going into shed which will add stress. I will see how he goes this morning and then bathe him today if he seems ok
I have ordered a heat lamp for him to get the temp up on the hot side but he is doing much much better now :)
Thankyou x

Jenniferr

Original Poster
Also, sorry, yeah he isn't on sand I know that's bad for them. He is on Repti carpet at the moment and seems to like it. His last owner gave what they had left to me so I think I will keep using that:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom