Gathering Info for Big Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemberger

I am a potential first time owner of a beardie! Trying to learn as much as possible and start off right. Going to the store today to purchase everything I need and hopefully put a beardie on hold till I get everything set up correctly. May be posting pics of the set up to make sure I am doing it correctly.

A couple questions:
1. On feeding live insects, I can buy in bulk to help with cost. How do you keep them alive for a month?

2. I am having a hard time seeing what it will look like with the lights inside the tank using the command hooks. Is the light off to the side of the tank and not top center? Can I see some pics of how you guys have your lights?
I was planning on getting (for lighting):
Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or T8 10%
Reptisun 10.0 fixture
For the basking light I was planning on the ExoTerra 50 W intense basking bulb or Bright White household bulb
Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp 5 1/2 in 100wt
Does this sound okay?

3. What are the guidelines or advice on transporting the beardie around? In the car, do they need to be in a carrier??

4. We spray our lawn for weeds and put fertilizer on. Once the chemicals have dried and I've waited a couple days, should it be okay for the beardie to go into the grass? And for the driveway which is cement, if my hand can be on it without burning me then the beardie should be okay to walking on it during the summer months?

Thank you for any advice!

Hemberger":209pw1eb said:
I am a potential first time owner of a beardie! Trying to learn as much as possible and start off right. Going to the store today to purchase everything I need and hopefully put a beardie on hold till I get everything set up correctly. May be posting pics of the set up to make sure I am doing it correctly.

A couple questions:
1. On feeding live insects, I can buy in bulk to help with cost. How do you keep them alive for a month? <<<< It really depends what insects you have. I'll assume crickets as they are the most common feeder. Get a large plastic storage bin or tank with tall walls (you don't want any escapes) and a secure lid. Pile egg crates (not too close to the top) or other cheap disposable item to give them more surface area. Keep them at ~70F to keep them at about the same size,
or ~80F or slightly higher to make them grow. Give them carrots or potatoes for food and water, they will drown in standing water. I have also seen commercial cricket diets and water crystals,
but I don't have experience with those.

2. I am having a hard time seeing what it will look like with the lights inside the tank using the command hooks. Is the light off to the side of the tank and not top center? Can I see some pics of how you guys have your lights? <<<< The UVB should cover about 1/2 - 2/3 of the tank on one side to create a gradient.
I was planning on getting (for lighting):
Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or T8 10% <<<< Go with t5. It is more powerful, gives you more options for where to mount it, and is easier to find fixtures for.
Reptisun 10.0 fixture <<<< If you go with t5 and a reflector (I think this one has a reflector) you can mount it above a screen, about 9" away from the basking spot.
For the basking light I was planning on the ExoTerra 50 W intense basking bulb or Bright White household bulb <<<< As long as it gives off heat basking bulbs don't really matter,
but I would suggest a halogen flood light with a lamp dimmer so you can adjust the power based on the temperature of the room.

Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp 5 1/2 in 100wt <<<< That's good, but bigger fixtures can handle more watts and have better balance.
Does this sound okay?

3. What are the guidelines or advice on transporting the beardie around? In the car, do they need to be in a carrier?? <<<< To transport on short trips you can use any large bin or container, I use a duffel bag with a towel, if it is cold get heat packs.

4. We spray our lawn for weeds and put fertilizer on. Once the chemicals have dried and I've waited a couple days, should it be okay for the beardie to go into the grass? And for the driveway which is cement, if my hand can be on it without burning me then the beardie should be okay to walking on it during the summer months? <<<< If the driveway isn't too hot they can run across it, but if they are confined there you can create a shaded area. I don't have experience with chemicals on the lawn, hopefully someone else can chime in.

Thank you for any advice!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
A lot of your questions were answered very well, I just wanted to add my two cents as well.

Definitely buy bulk feeders, and online is usually the best way to do this. You'll basically want to create a mini habitat for your feeders as well to be sure they stay healthy, alive, and flourish :) many forum members will recommend that if you're getting a beardie to start breeding your own feeders to save cost and know what condition they are when you're feeding them. I, and many others, have a dubia roach colony as they are super easy to maintain and breed. Just a big tote or other container, heated, and provide fresh veggies, usually the remains of dragon salads.

As mentioned, if you can afford to do it right off the bat, T5 uvb is the way to go and will ultimately save you the most money. Bulbs only need to be replaced once a year opposed to once every 6 months like a T8, not to mention you know your dragon is getting the best lighting it can and that could ultimately save on vet bills.

Regarding outside, I'm unsure about the chemicals as I haven't personally sprayed my lawn with anything yet, but be sure to keep your eye on the dragon as he could become easy pickings from any bird of prey or other predators. If you'd like your dragon to be able to frolick safely, I'd recommend an outdoor screened enclosure. I'm looking to get myself one this upcoming summer

Hemberger

Original Poster
Okay thank you guys so much for the advice!
Went to a reptile pet store, thinking they might know what they are they doing a little bit more than say Petco would. Not so much!! Glad I am doing research and could see the red flags! I bet they weren't too happy seeing me come in with a handful of papers :D

Anyways, this is what I ended up getting: (Let me know if I need to make changes or it will work to get started)
40 gal breeder tank
Reptisun Terrarium Hood 20 in w/T8 UVB lamp 18 in Reptisun 5.0 UVB linear lamp this came as a set, seandeangelis I see you said to get a T5. will this be okay? I am still a little confused about the different lights, especially when you stand at the store with all the options.
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100 W seandeangelis I didn't know what W to get on the Halogen flood light you were talking about so I just went with this.
Fluker's Deluxe Clamp w/dimmer 8.5 in clamp lamp. only brand they had

Looking into getting an under-the-counter fluorescent fixture hanger from walmart to try and hang the light inside the tank.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
You'll unfortunately need to take that reptisun bulb in for exchange. T8 and T5 refer to the bulb size, and by proxy the fixture needed. The reptisun 5.0 is a bulb meant for shade dwelling reptiles and will not have enough uvb output for a desert type. Please swap this to a reptisun 10.0 t8 as it sounds as though you have purchased a t8 fixture.

I use 65w halogen flood bulbs in both enclosures and since my basking spots are about halfway up the enclosure for each, they're both at perfect temp and have room to adjust. I do not use a dimmer. Be sure to monitor temps with a laser temp gun or digital probe. I use a temp gun myself

Hemberger

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":aohlvd8e said:
You'll unfortunately need to take that reptisun bulb in for exchange. T8 and T5 refer to the bulb size, and by proxy the fixture needed. The reptisun 5.0 is a bulb meant for shade dwelling reptiles and will not have enough uvb output for a desert type. Please swap this to a reptisun 10.0 t8 as it sounds as though you have purchased a t8 fixture. So I am good on the fixture, but need the reptisun 10.0 t8 bulb?

I use 65w halogen flood bulbs in both enclosures and since my basking spots are about halfway up the enclosure for each, they're both at perfect temp and have room to adjust. I do not use a dimmer. Be sure to monitor temps with a laser temp gun or digital probe. I use a temp gun myself
Yea I got a temp gun.

Thank you! I will make the changes.

Hemberger

Original Poster
I am having a hard time finding a light fixture. I am ordering the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO light from petmountain.com today. Went with that one instead of the T8 after re-reading your replies.
This is what I am looking at. http://www.petmountain.com/product/...eptisun-t5-ho-10-0-uvb-high-output-bulbs.html

I am wanting to place the light inside the tank. I am looking at this one from Amazon. What do you think? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DN94IG/ref=twister_B01337BHAS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Probably making this way harder than it needs to be! But I am just confusing myself with these lights! Now is http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/exo-terra-light-bracket-light-dome-support-fixture okay to use for the basking light? If I put it all together and the temps work out then I should be okay? If I can I would like no lights on the screen top, but I don't know if that is okay.

That fixture looks good, but if it has anything in front of the bulb you'll have to remove it. I've never used that for a lamp, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hemberger

Original Poster
seandeangelis":3k972l38 said:
That fixture looks good, but if it has anything in front of the bulb you'll have to remove it. I've never used that for a lamp, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Okay thank you!!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I would make sure that fixture can hold a T5 bulb, photos appear to be T8 but I didn't look too hard at it.
T8
89300-5541783394.jpg
T5 (I left the light on, you can see the comparison next to the pen though)
89300-8113341778.jpg

I used a dome stand like that before. It's incredibly sticky, until you remove it. I prefer the lights to sit right on the screen without the clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom