Shedding info for Newbies

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey all,
While being a member of this forum for a few months I've seen quite a few posts concerned for their dragons that turned out to be shed. While holding Richter tonight, I noticed he is shedding basically all his extremities to various degrees and thought maybe some visuals would help those starting out. Below are some photos of sheds in progress with flash and no flash.

It's worth noting dragons shed in patches, not full body like a snake. This may be small patches, large patches, or even full body pieces at a time.

89300-8237678618.jpg
89300-8342497828.jpg
Foot shed, in patches. Almost completed!

89300-8339289124.jpg
89300-5254931082.jpg
Hand shed, in patches. Just starting

89300-799546941.jpg
89300-110958475.jpg
Tail shed, just the end. Just about done

89300-1992940158.jpg
Head shed, no flash on this one because I didn't want to blind him. Shed is complete and shiny, should be popping off any day now.

Here are some older photos of the same dragon, showing how different their sheds can be

89300-2075879528.jpg
89300-681315004.jpg
89300-9594043865.jpg
89300-5110890050.jpg
89300-550828218.jpg
89300-9375773835.jpg

I am unsure how helpful this would be to anyone, feel free to add your own shed photos as a resource.

Enjoy the dragons, all!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
YoursTruly":2percjyf said:
Excellent post! My girl is in torso shed and also, randomly, her nose. And she is SO CRANKY. "DO NOT pick me up, Mom!"

Richter has never been a crabby shredder but this round he is just not having it, so grumpy! His shedding pattern just changed though, so instead of one area at a time it's like half of everything, and I'm sure that's more irritating. His tail shed is just popping off now but his head shed has been in progress about a week longer

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
That's completely it. Thane sheds in stages. This time half her torso she'd already and now the other half has begun. It's very strange looking! See how her color changes halfway down her back?

89594-996544999.jpg

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I do! I'd be interested to see if Richter's does that, his torso is the only thing not shedding right now which means it's next. I don't recall Simon ever having any weird shed patterns but she has since being an adult

my little man, Bubba, seems to shed A LOT. He's already looking white again
91657-1966737635.jpg
and it seemed like last week he just went through a complete shed. This is his usual coloring.
91657-1828377848.jpg
He's at 7" give or take. I guess with him being little and growing fast they probably do shed often. (We've had Bubba for a little over two months and just purchased our female, Jane
91657-6568732117.jpg
, from this last weekends repticon, so we are new parents and still discovering. Lol.)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Get ready for LOTS of that :D
I haven't seen Richter not in shed for months now. As soon as he sheds one spot, another was beginning, or in this case half of everything is going at once.

traildrifterphalanx":33gx6n4r said:
Get ready for LOTS of that :D
I haven't seen Richter not in shed for months now. As soon as he sheds one spot, another was beginning, or in this case half of everything is going at once.

Cool. Lol. Bubba looks like a cat when he goes to shedding and its so funny when he runs and rubs between our fingers. He get so ichty and acts like he want us but I think he just uses my husbands rough hands to his advantage in these situations. Lol.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
:lol: I know that all too well.
I pet along my dragons lips, and Richter (photo'd above) will start to rub his face against my hand for some scratching assistance. Even when not shedding he'll do it, it may just feel nice, but regardless it's adorable

traildrifterphalanx":j1j88tcr said:
:lol: I know that all too well.
I pet along my dragons lips, and Richter (photo'd above) will start to rub his face against my hand for some scratching assistance. Even when not shedding he'll do it, it may just feel nice, but regardless it's adorable

I just saw the funniest thing last night! Bubba would wave his butt in the air for me to scratch his tail base! Or would shake his back end when my finger was around his shed. Lol. He reminds me so much of a cat rubbing on you. Lol.

MrsWolvie

This is Rey's first she'd since we brought her home on Sunday, the 16th. I was worried about her behavior yesterday she was pretty skittery and didn't eat much, plus she was puffing up randomly yesterday. She has been scratching at her head like a dog, which is actually kinda cute lol
91766-3183673681.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I wish we had taken pictures of our beardie when he was shedding on his back and one shoulder -- when it started to come loose, it looked like he was wearing a little Greek toga. Then about a day later, the toga turned into a loincloth, and then the loincloth turned into a G-string -- could have posted it under the title "shedding as an art form". 8) We've also seen T-shirts and gloves. Talk about weird shedding patterns... :lol:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Loki almost looks like a dragon with wings. That tops Puff's toga. :lol:

He's got ring around the tail right now. I'm going to have to make sure it comes off before it turns into a tourniquet. :roll:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom