Shedding info for Newbies

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great pictures & information, thanks! We always appreciate nice, informative posts that
are helpful. The pictures are terrific. :D

Tracie

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Ardbert's had his tail in shed for at least a week now (it was already greying when he arrived) and it doesn't seem to be coming loose. How long does it take to come off, usually? His feet are also starting to shed, but his body and front parts so far are still fitting.

I'm paranoid of missing something important and making him lose limbs and digits, so I just want to know how quickly a 3 month old beardie sheds its pieces on average. Thanks in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The shed time really varies. Both between dragons and between sheds. As long as the shed doesn't appear to be constricting anything (tail tend, toes/fingers) then it doesn't usually require any intervention and will eventually come loose on its own.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
CooperDragon":364ghe87 said:
The shed time really varies. Both between dragons and between sheds. As long as the shed doesn't appear to be constricting anything (tail tend, toes/fingers) then it doesn't usually require any intervention and will eventually come loose on its own.

Good to know, thank you!!! :mrgreen:

I'll just stay vigilant until they finally come off, haha.

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Poggerna":2he6irxk said:
CooperDragon":2he6irxk said:

Good to know, thank you!!! :mrgreen:

I'll just stay vigilant until they finally come off, haha.

Update: Tail shed finally started coming off after his bath earlier. It’s half-gone at this point, but the scales underneath a) still look off-color from the rest of him and b) feels very rough too. Does this mean he’s starting to shed underneath his shed? SHEDCEPTION????? :shock:

*stares at the tail tip in paranoia*

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
CooperDragon":3stjdt5u said:
Sometimes they shed back to back like that, but it could just be the color/texture of the new skin.

I know color can change, but not texture, :eek:

Still, it looks a lot like how the initial shed looked on arrival, so going to assume back to back shed until proven otherwise. :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's best to leave it alone. You can provide a rough surface like bark from a habba hut or a piece of carpet that they can rub up against to help with shedding though.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
I remember my 1st time with my bearded dragon shedding I was frantic and made a lot of vet calls/visits my female is currently doing parts the only area that I still have a problem with is when they shed their heads you really cant do anything besides a bath and some things for them to rub on ?

Shue562

My new rescue has shed everything but her back. Is that normal? I’m a new bearded momma, only had her for two months . She did the rest of her body in stages( legs and tail, then face and beard, then belly) but it’s been about 2-3 weeks. She’s a year old.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shue562":2l7tse32 said:
My new rescue has shed everything but her back. Is that normal? I’m a new bearded momma, only had her for two months . She did the rest of her body in stages( legs and tail, then face and beard, then belly) but it’s been about 2-3 weeks. She’s a year old.

Sometimes the sheds can be inconsistent and take a while to complete, that is normal.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom