Dangerous trend : beardie on your shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I just wanted to bring more awareness to this topic, of beardies jumping/falling from shoulders. It seems that many people either don't know or because it hasn't happened yet that they think it is not a real problem. There are threads warning people of potential danger of sand, bad uvb, cohabitation, etc but it seems that perching a beardie on the shoulder is still acceptable. Please take note + warn other owners that this is not at all safe and ranks up there with [ and probably worse than ] some of the other potential dangers I listed . Some owners actually think their beardie knows how far it can jump....they really don't. So please pass this info on, it may look " cool ' to have the dragon on your shoulder like a little bird but it is definitely not.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yes .... I agree, IMO standing around / walking about with a beardie (irrespective of it's age and how much it seems it grips like Velcro) , is very bad husbandry and really stupid to do.

Beardies have problems judging distances and they are not made to be indestructible or to bounce. All too often I've seen threads here and elsewhere about a beardie that has fallen or leapt and had a bone breaking landing ....

Only time my beardies are allowed on my shoulder is when I'm sitting on a nice wide and soft lounge or bed or on the carpet and I make sure I keep my hand is on them to support them.

If you want pet to have as an adornment on your shoulder get a budgie or other parrot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting that, especially for new keepers. It is unfortunately a popular thing to do. While it is neat to have them on your shoulder, if you are not holding them or have them secured they can & will many times kamikaze off for no reason!

Tracie

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I agree this should be a sticky. I have seen too many ER forum posts about their dragon falling, and in a particular case, being stepped on immediately after. This is something that can so easily be corrected.

As beardie owners, I'm sure we're all too familiar with them attempting to climb up to our shoulders when being held. Luckily, I've already been paranoid about the falling so will always keep a hand blanketed over them and never got into the habit of allowing it, often removing them and lowering them back to my chest with a firm hand always over them.

I've seen my dragons take some spills from ridiculously low heights (off my knee onto the couch cushion while laying down) - they are not very graceful animals.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
AHBD said:
I just wanted to bring more awareness to this topic, of beardies jumping/falling from shoulders. It seems that many people either don't know or because it hasn't happened yet that they think it is not a real problem. There are threads warning people of potential danger of sand, bad uvb, cohabitation, etc but it seems that perching a beardie on the shoulder is still acceptable. Please take note + warn other owners that this is not at all safe and ranks up there with [ and probably worse than ] some of the other potential dangers I listed . Some owners actually think their beardie knows how far it can jump....they really don't. So please pass this info on, it may look " cool ' to have the dragon on your shoulder like a little bird but it is definitely not.

Very good awareness AHBD see a few post about this in forums. I know I use the hip leash when I get Dixie out of her cage I put it on her and she has dangled from it time to time when she was younger or shall I say skinnier! And that prevented a lot of injuries . I dont know why they think they can jump lol big fat pancake trying to be "agile" .
Dixie is up in her branch sometimes and slams duck at the bottom of her cage too lazy to walk down the tree of course lets just throw ourselves off it! I always think she is going to break something even tho its not that high...cant imagine jumping off someone shoulder...

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
Great topic. I feel like this should be a no-brainer, but I do understand the necessity of making it known, especially to new owners. Baby beardies are known to be jumpy and skittish. Right from the start, my girl Thane's favorite thing to do ha been to climb up to my shoulder. It's by far her favorite place to sit. She's never been skittish, nor has she tried to leap off my shoulder. But from the get-go, out of fear of her falling, I have only allowed her to sit there if I'm seated on the couch or floor. Otherwise I hold her to my chest with a steady hand (or two). I guess I had some prior knowledge from having a bunny. They are just as, if not moreso, squirmy as lizards.

joef

Hatchling Member
In my personal belief, you have to train your beardie to be on your shoulder. My beardie loves being on my shoulder, and he doesn't jump now. When he was littler, he jumped a couple of times, but landed ok. He has learned from that that it hurts to jump from my shoulder, so now if he wants down, he will climb all the way to the floor. Yes, there may be injury from jumping, but it's possible for a beardie to learn not to jump.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
joef":2uvysnc5 said:
In my personal belief, you have to train your beardie to be on your shoulder. My beardie loves being on my shoulder, and he doesn't jump now. When he was littler, he jumped a couple of times, but landed ok. He has learned from that that it hurts to jump from my shoulder, so now if he wants down, he will climb all the way to the floor. Yes, there may be injury from jumping, but it's possible for a beardie to learn not to jump.

While this may have worked in your situation, not all dragons are so lucky. I'd rather err on the side of caution and inform newbies that this could be fatal as it has been in the past. Not to mention, any injury could be prevented rather than the dragon learning a harsh lesson

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":3vb6pbk9 said:
joef":3vb6pbk9 said:

While this may have worked in your situation, not all dragons are so lucky. I'd rather err on the side of caution and inform newbies that this could be fatal as it has been in the past. Not to mention, any injury could be prevented rather than the dragon learning a harsh lesson

This is true, however if the beardie lands (even if it lands like a cat) on a hard surface such as a polished timber floor, or a lino covered timber, or concrete floor or on a tiled floor , or on concrete or even on hard packed ground with a very thin layer of turf over it, it is likely to seriously injure itself.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some of them do seem to like to climb up to the top of their human (shoulder or head), maybe so they can look around the room. When ours does that I try to keep at least one (or both, if possible) of my hands on him, and all of my attention. Once in a while he'll turn his happy golden color and settle down and just zone out there for a while, and I'll just sit there for a while with his head on my shoulder and my hands on the rest of him. If he gets too wiggly he gets deposited back in his tank on his basking platform where he's safe, and where he usually gives me "The Look" for a while and then goes back to his favorite "activity" -- worshiping light bulbs. :)

It's good to be reminded that they can be klutzy and it's not always a good idea to let them do whatever they want even if they get an attitude about it. :roll:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Why isn't this thread A STICKY?
.... obvious that we really need to keep harping on about the dangers of this very dangerous owner behavior for it to diffuse through the very thick skulls of some owners and for them to take the hint.

Keep on repeating ourselves and eventually it MIGHT SINK IN.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
I agree this should be a sticky. When I let Dixie out I put her on my chest and always have a hand on her body to make sure she is secure.I also have a hip leash if i take her out and about so I know whatever happens I will have double security if ever she would try and leap.

Ancline

I'll walk arround my apartment in the morning sometimes with my beardie on my shoulder. But when I walk arround I usually instinctively put my hand over his body so he can't fling himself off. Either that or he's underneath my robe where he'd have to work his way out to jump off. Is there any danger that I'm missing? I just want what's best for my dragon :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Best to keep both of your hands and all of your attention on him whenever you have him out of his enclosure, especially if you're standing up and carrying him from one place to another. They have a way of twisting around when you least expect it and falling before you know it.

But don't let that make you afraid to take him out and cuddle him. Cuddling is good as long as he enjoys it and as long as you make sure he's safe from falls and/or other possible injuries. :love5:

Being under a robe tends to make for a nice warm dark place to settle down for most beardies, but they can still get wiggly so you still need to make sure you know where they are and have your hands around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom