How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemonizer

Hey everyone :)
I'm a teen from AZ, 13 years old, animal obsessed.
We live in a 3-bed 2-bath flat, and our complex doesn't allow rodents, ferrets, or dogs >50 lb. I used to have a tortoise about 8 years ago, but I wasn't able to take proper care of it (impulse surprise present) and my folks gave him away to some dumb girl who didn't like the idea of caring for a living, breathing creature and thus gave him away to someone else. I didn't know anything about it until I saw the empty tank, and I was bawling my eyeballs out.
There was no compensation nor compassion, and all attempts to let them get me a pet later failed miserably. They gave tons of even the stupidest reasons to avoid getting me a pet.
And then I met bearded dragons.
Actually, I've never seen them in real life. But if the pictures were cute enough to make me sit and stare at them (not something I often do), seeing a beardie in real life would probably make me melt.
So I earned some money (and still at it, actually!) and decided to write an essay on beardies to present to my parents. And, well, guess what? My mum saw it before time and said I was making up stupid things.
I asked them for a snake earlier and my father announced that snakes are Satan (we're Christians, and someone didn't read his Bible recently!) and there will never be one in his (!) house. :banghead:
Beardies are not snakes. They are sweet and cute. I absolutely love them.
I researched everything that could be researched - the right kind of environment, parasite treatment, feeding habits, etc. :study:
I currently have $40~, I'm sure I can make more. I can get a summer job because I'm old enough for that. On the money I make I'll get the supplies and food for him.

Now, I do not want them to buy me a dragon. I want their permission to buy one on my own money and to keep him in the same house. My parents think it's a silly idea that will pass. Interestingly enough, ever since I loved scaly-"creepy"-crawly things at the age of 3, and eventually getting one at the age of 5 (poor tortoise), my love for them hasn't died - on the contrary, now it's only stronger.
I have a lot of family issues and stressful situations. I feel like I not only want a bearded dragon pet - I need one.

Thank you for trolling-free answers.

P.S. For those of you who are so smart you think I'll stop caring for the beardie like I "stopped" caring for the tortoise: I didn't stop caring for him. I just wasn't consistent with his care because I was five and toys existed. And he was never abused - even though I was but a little child, I understood that he also had feelings. I always tried to make him happy (in my understanding of happy) by putting him in the back of a toy lorry and giving him free rides. I would also take him outside so that he had some freedom in the sun. And whenever someone tried to hurt him or take him away, I became a highly aggressive individual 3.5 feet tall. I would yell and take my tortoise and go to a corner and feed him lettuce. He was taken while I was at school. And I don't want another tortoise because I feel like if I do, it would be like betraying Torty.

P.P.S. Whoa, that turned out long.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Heya, I was in the exact same situation as you!! I had guinea pigs when I was really little, same thing happened (parents got rid of them without telling me)

I first asked for a reptile when I was probably 9 or so. The answer I received is "There is a less than 0% chance of you ever getting a reptile" But I was destined to prove them wrong (please don't get me wrong- I am not a rebellious child and my parents are kind and loving- they simply were afraid that they would end up caring for him) So I started doing some research. Yes, $40 is a good start, but let me tell you, it takes about that much PER MONTH to feed a baby. I started with roughly $200 for all the lights, enclosure, and of course, Loki. I was expecting to spend maybe $20 or so a month for food. Boy, was I wrong! 1k dubias (roughly 1m supply) cost about $30-40+ per month, not including greens and other supplements. Then, every 6-12m (depending if you have a t8 or t5) your UVB needs to be changed. This is mandatory, and if you don't, he'll develop MBD. Personally, I would try to get an adult, as they will probably be more laid back and WAYYYYY cheaper to feed. Good luck!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
While I respect your enthusiasm I'm going to encourage you to be patient and forward thinking about your possible new pet.

As mentioned by Jess, their care is not cheap; setup costs $300-500 for a good one, and food/etc. Perhaps devising a plan for how you will care for it (research more, I assure you there is always more to learn), saving up (have enough money for a setup, food and maybe even potential vet bills) and demonstrating to your parents that you have a long term invested interest might help them agree in the future. Maybe ask them what it would take for them to be ok with it?
Even as an adult without anyone to get permission from I exersise these techniques before getting a new pet to make sure it's not a passing whim or that I'm really as ready as I think I am.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
JessPets and, Taterbug hit it on the head. Dragons (unlike the brochures say) are not by any stretch of the imagination a beginner reptile. They require more care than any reptile I have ever owned (super needy). They can run into a lot of $$$$ on the setup. Keep saving and researching and, you will have shown your parents how serious and, devoted you are about this.
You have to be willing to go the long haul because they depend on you for everything in their lives and, they tend to get attached to you over time. So in short, it is a 10 to 15+ year commitment. I know that in 5 or 6 years you will most likely want go to college and, you will have to do something with your dragon unless mom and pop step up and help somehow. He will miss you because of the bond he has with you.

These are just some things to consider.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
As already stated .... beardies are expensive , you'll easily spend $30 per WEEK on crickets or roaches or silkworms , add the basking globe MANDATORY and the NOT STANDARD HOUSEHOLD light fitting for it (you will need a high temperature ceramic fitting MANDATORY and A MUST FOR FIRE SAFETY , add a fitting for the UVB/UVA light source (not cheap) and a new 10%UVB or higher tube or compact every 6 months (ESSENTIAL), the hide, the tank (a full sized tank for an adult will be 4ft x 2ft x about 2ft tall and wont be cheap).
Provision for vet bills (not cheap).
Buying a beardie is a LONG TERM COMMITMENT and they will need lots of contact, lots of care, and they are very sensitive and emotional beings.... if you can't commit to daily tank spot cleaning, daily feedings and contact and socialization time, establishing a set in concrete feeding and lighting schedule that might well involve being awake at the crack of dawn to turn on the heat and lights, 7 days a week !!! , feeding with LIVE bugs before leaving to go to school, and again when you get home , same feeding schedule on holidays and weekend (no breaks).... then maybe a beardie is not for you ( or your parents - who more often than not wind up picking up the slack when kids loose interest or get bored or the novelty wares off ). A beardie can live as long as 20 years , more commonly 5 - 8 years .

Keep on saving , and prove to your mom and dad you will be a great beardie parent / slave ( your past will work against you on this - a very poor pet carer's record so far ).

My suggestion is perhaps get a terrestrial gecko ( a small one ) or a medium sized (up to 1 ft long) skink to start off , will require less food (insects than a beardie , even a hatchling) and skinks can be great pets and very affectionate see viewtopic.php?f=26&t=217016 , cheaper easier all round .

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":2kgz7hd6 said:
As already stated .... beardies are expensive , you'll easily spend $30 per WEEK on crickets or roaches or silkworms , add the basking globe MANDATORY and the NOT STANDARD HOUSEHOLD light fitting for it (you will need a high temperature ceramic fitting MANDATORY and A MUST FOR FIRE SAFETY , add a fitting for the UVB/UVA light source (not cheap) and a new 10%UVB or higher tube or compact every 6 months (ESSENTIAL), the hide, the tank (a full sized tank for an adult will be 4ft x 2ft x about 2ft tall and wont be cheap).
Buying a beardie is a LONG TERM COMMITMENT and they will need lots of contact, lots of care, and they are very sensitive and emotional beings.... if you can't commit to daily tank spot cleaning, daily feedings and contact and socialization time, establishing a set in concrete feeding and lighting schedule that might well involve being awake at the crack of dawn to turn on the heat and lights, 7 days a week !!! , feeding with LIVE bugs before leaving to go to school, and again when you get home , same feeding schedule on holidays and weekend (no breaks).... then maybe a beardie is not for you ( or your parents - who more often than not wind up picking up the slack when kids loose interest or get bored or the novelty wares off ). A beardie can live as long as 20 years , more commonly 5 - 8 years .

Keep on saving , and prove to your mom and dad you will be a great beardie parent / slave ( your past will work against you on this - a very poor pet carer's record so far ).

My suggestion is perhaps get a terrestrial gecko ( a small one ) or a medium sized (up to 1 ft long) skink to start off , will require less food (insects than a beardie , even a hatchling) and skinks can be great pets and very affectionate see viewtopic.php?f=26&t=217016 , cheaper easier all round .

Just saying, if you do it right, it will not cost $30. Sure, if you buy crickets from PetSmart every single week, then yes, you probably be spending close to $30 a week. I buy my dubias online, and $30 gets me a month's supply.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
JessPets":yneh53yf said:
kingofnobbys":yneh53yf said:

Just saying, if you do it right, it will not cost $30. Sure, if you buy crickets from PetSmart every single week, then yes, you probably be spending close to $30 a week. I buy my dubias online, and $30 gets me a month's supply.
Ya, I was thinking the same thing. I spend around $15 a week on all greens and dubias of course mine is an adult and eats more greens than bugs. Things must be a bit higher in Australia, :shock: :shock:

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Hello again everybody!

Yes, I know they aren't a beginner reptile. I've had a tortoise (mentioned) and a few lizards for a couple of days (pet sitting-ish). I doubt my parents would allow roaches or crickets (please save the world from these beasts!), but I'm willing to buy mealworms and superworms.

When I go to college, I will still most likely live with my parents, so I still will be able to take care of my beardie. And I'm glad it's a commitment - I like keeping myself busy. And the fact that my bd will get attached to me is one of those things I love in them.
And one more thing I forgot to add - I also take care of four horses.

Our family eats more greens than any of the aforementioned horses - we could share with a beardie, partially because I'm not exactly a fan of certain greens :lol:

Oh, but I do wake up at the crack of dawn. Horses, remember? Those beasts need to be fed early. And I have to wait 30 mins before breakfast because of my medicine, so while I'm at it I can turn on all the lights and feed him. I'm not afraid of live bugs as we live close to the country and bugs are as common as air. Besides, I like worms. My brother used to keep a mealworm.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
That's the thing - mealworms and superworms shouldn't be fed on a regular basis- especially mealworms. BSFL and silkworms are great though!

Lemonizer

Original Poster
JessPets - that's it! Silkworms. I was like - hey, there's this other one, that thing that turns adorable, and I couldn't remember the name, although it was on the tip of my tongue.
Or, rather on the tip of my fingers. Or is it on the tip of my keyboard?

Anyway, my bro would probably steal half of the mealworms anyway :lol:

And then they will morph.
And run around the house.
And maybe, just maybe - those cockroaches coming from nowhere are actually my brother's escaped mealworms from the future.
And they take over our flat.
Then the complex.
Then the city, country, continent, and eventually - the world.
All because a certain teen got a beardie and fed him mealworms every once in a while, some of which got stolen (or escaped).

Man, I just hope my mum doesn't find this. I'm sure she wouldn't like the idea of her child's pet's food taking over the world.

Now, back to the serious stuff.

Any recommendations where I can acquire good quality BSFL and silkworms?

I just really hope one of those darn things doesn't escape and morph into whatever. I have no desire to turn a beardie viv into a silk/fly farm.
(Please someone stop me. There's no limit to my imagination. Before we know it, I will make up a story about how every beardie in the world turns into a real dragon...)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: :lol: :lol: There is a very very slim chance of them actually getting out, surviving, and populating.

BSFL (black solider fly larvae/phoenix worms/calci-worms/repti-worms) and silkworms can readily be purchased online.

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Welllllll.... knowing my obsession with oatmeal, I'd say that maybe they could actually get out and feed on my oats.
Which would be nasty.
Worse than being sneezed on by a horse.

Do pet stores sell them, though?
Cause since we drive past pet stores every Sunday after church, I feel like it would be a bit less of a headache.
And on some websites the shipping price is astronomical, and you only get free shipping if you spend, like, $100 or something like that.

kingofnobbys:
Naskrecki_013-L.jpg

Buy a gecko, they said. They're cute, they said.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Lemonizer":1bdw87ht said:
Welllllll.... knowing my obsession with oatmeal, I'd say that maybe they could actually get out and feed on my oats.
Which would be nasty.

Do pet stores sell them, though?
Cause since we drive past pet stores every Sunday after church, I feel like it would be a bit less of a headache.
And on some websites the shipping price is astronomical, and you only get free shipping if you spend, like, $100 or something like that.

kingofnobbys:
Naskrecki_013-L.jpg

Try eBay - they have some really awesome deals. Some petstores have them, most do not. And if they do, they will be really expensive.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Lemonizer":20rj448z said:
JessPets - that's it! Silkworms. I was like - hey, there's this other one, that thing that turns adorable, and I couldn't remember the name, although it was on the tip of my tongue.
Or, rather on the tip of my fingers. Or is it on the tip of my keyboard?

Anyway, my bro would probably steal half of the mealworms anyway :lol:

And then they will morph.
And run around the house.
And maybe, just maybe - those cockroaches coming from nowhere are actually my brother's escaped mealworms from the future.
And they take over our flat.
Then the complex.
Then the city, country, continent, and eventually - the world.
All because a certain teen got a beardie and fed him mealworms every once in a while, some of which got stolen (or escaped).

Man, I just hope my mum doesn't find this. I'm sure she wouldn't like the idea of her child's pet's food taking over the world.

Now, back to the serious stuff.

Any recommendations where I can acquire good quality BSFL and silkworms?

I just really hope one of those darn things doesn't escape and morph into whatever. I have no desire to turn a beardie viv into a silk/fly farm.
(Please someone stop me. There's no limit to my imagination. Before we know it, I will make up a story about how every beardie in the world turns into a real dragon...)
No more Skittles chased with RedBull for you my little friend, lmao!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":3sw52zea said:
Welllllll.... knowing my obsession with oatmeal, I'd say that maybe they could actually get out and feed on my oats. <<< dry oatmeal is a great superworm/mealworm food / bedding.
Which would be nasty.

Do pet stores sell them, though? <<< yep , but you'll pay through the nose at a pet shop.

Plenty of schools have silkworms in the class room so the little kiddies can see the life cycle of moths , and can wind up with thousands of unwanted eggs to sell , check your local classifieds and ebay and etsy and the like as well a google.

kingofnobbys:
Naskrecki_013-L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom