How can I convince my parents to let me buy a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeaston16

Honestly, I think she is going to do what she wants no matter what we reccomend to her. So I say we stop commenting on this persons post and go post on other people questions since they will probably take our advice

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
eeaston16":r3ruua31 said:
Honestly, I think she is going to do what she wants no matter what we reccomend to her. So I say we stop commenting on this persons post and go post on other people questions since they will probably take our advice
Kinda strange but I do both, I try to help where I can and, stay civil most of the time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Written by Administrator, posted as a reminder of the Site Policy on Rude Behavior:

As we regularly seem to encounter people being rude to others in varying degrees and ways, this policy is being defined to make it clear that this will not be tolerated. Rude behavior will now be handled by temporary banning users from logging into the site (you can still read public areas). Repeat offenses or more severe offenses will result in increased period of ban time. Attempts to circumvent bans (ie. registering with another account) will result in a permanent ban on you IP address/subnet. Public rudeness and attitude to moderators attempting to enforce site policies, or ignoring their warnings in threads will also be met with a temporary ban and treated more severely.

Examples of rudeness (not limited to these):
- Making fun of someone's spelling
- Calling someone a name
- Implying another member is stupid
- Unfriendly sarcasm
- Attacking someone seeking help, for other aspects of their care practices
- Making comments designed to evoke an emotional upset in another... aka "pushing buttons" (as determined by moderators)

There are polite and friendly ways of addressing all of the above. I do not find it acceptable that new members decide to leave after only a few posts, because they were jumped on for flaws in their care practices, or were made to feel stupid because they didn't know various things. I do not find it acceptable that what could have had the potential to be a good discussion or debate, degrades into bickering or unfriendly arguments. I also do not find it acceptable that rudeness on one person's topic often results in derailing the original posters thread.

If you cannot post something politely, don't post it at all.

The definition of what is and is not "rude" will be left up to the moderators and myself. This is to avoid people saying "it wasn't intended" or saying people just misunderstood. When it comes to deciding whether you think something is or is not rude, do not think of what you would find to be rude. Ask yourself if we (moderators and I) would consider it rude. If it's questionable, err on the side of caution. If you don't try to push things to the limit, you won't find yourself getting in trouble for it.

As always, if someone is being rude to you or to another, you are NOT to get involved yourself. This is not your role here. If you want to do something about it, report it, and leave it at that. Getting involved in a dispute risks having you also be warned/banned, so just stay out of it and let us deal with it. "They started it" will not be an acceptable excuse.

First offense will result in a warning via a PM that will also direct you to this policy (that way everyone gets one chance to be made aware of the policy). Subsequent offenses will result in a temporary and escalating ban (ie. 1 day, 3 days, etc.).

[Added 11/17/07]
Members are not to publicly point out others as being rude. Ever since this policy was defined I'm seeing a number of members using that accusation as a tool of "control", effectively using it as a threat, or a manipulation. If someone is being rude, report it. I believe I've already said that members should not attempt to moderate other members, and that includes deciding what does and does not fall under this policy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lemonizer":ujvnqjdy said:
kingofnobbys":ujvnqjdy said:
Most people who me know I spoil my gang of skinks and beardies rotten, that said, because they need heat and UVB to be healthy , even Puff and Rex , and George and Mildred , only ever got/get at most 1 - 2 hrs out to freerange under strict supervision per day.

I know of no one who lets their pet lizards have freerange time for most of the day.

Practical issues :
Now lets talk working : even a parttime job as a checkout chick , or serving burgers and fries at the local Macdonalds , is going to involve HOURS after / before school most days and perhaps if you become $ hungry on the weekends too, you can likely count on being required to put in 4 - 6 hrs per shift. Who is going to look after beardie while you are at school and at the parttime job (needed to fund caring for said beardie ?). I'm sorry, I believe there was a misunderstanding. Last I checked, I was a human, not a chicken. Or chick. Same thing.
After school I'm at the stables, so I'm not really planning on working anywhere else during school.
I just need a summer job. Then I can work at concession stands at horse shows - we have three to four shows per month starting August. On average I make around $35-$40 per shift. Sometimes more, depending on the number of spectators.
Now school. I will only be there until 2:15, on Wednesdays until 11:30. During the summer, while I'm working my brother would gladly look after the dragon, if needed.

Then there is homework - if high school is anything like it was when I was a teenager, there will be math homework, assignments for other subjects that you will be required to do (to get good grades) and homework will be set by most if not all your teachers each day .... so combine time at school (every day M-F), homework and assessable assignments (M-F and often if big assignments requiring you work on them on the weekends and over the holidays too - count on at least 2hrs of homework in the lower years in highschool (yrs 7 - 10)) and then you need to find money to support your beardie (4-6 hr shifts maybe 4 days a week on very low hourly rates , you'd lucky if you got $3/hr in the USA as junior , you'd have to put in a lot of hours to pay for a vet visit or new UV light , yet alone the insects - adult bearded dragons also need live insects in their daily diet) .... not a lot of time left to spend with beardie or caring for it.
I've mastered the art of doing homework before school and while I'm waiting for my instructor at the stables. Besides, there will be plenty of time after school since I usually go feed/muck at around 4-4:30.
Don't know about being lucky to get $3/hour. Babysitters with experience (I have 8 years of that)
get paid at least $12/h. Seems legit to me. Just as an example.
Is it just me or do people on this website contradict each other? Someone told me adults don't need insects on a daily basis, as do most repti-care websites. You're telling me they need insects every day. Wat?

Social stuff - you can't possibly know how you will be in 2 or 3 years especially when your hormones kick in , you are very likely to become boy crazy and very much into partying and dating. Again , who looks after beardie when you loose interest.
Okay, if I told you I'm ace and not interested in kissing and dating, will you be content? My hormones already did kick in. I ship myself with fictional characters.
Who told you I'll lose interest? If I don't know how I'll be next year, how do you, pray tell? I never lost interested in things I'm passionate about.

Some of you may think I'm being rude, but I'm just a bit tired of people not helping me convince my folks, but telling me not to get a beardie because this and that.

Another reality check :
Checked minimum ADULT wages in USA : http://www.paywizard.org/main/salary/minimum-wage
It is highly unlikely a child or anyone under the age of 18 yrs old will get paid these , if you can get 1/2 the minimum adult wage at 15-16 years old you are doing exceptionally well. see http://www.paywizard.org/main/salary/minimum-wage/students
When you are under the age of 20 a minimum wage of $4.25 per hour applies
...people working in rural areas are paid a lot less than that as a rule

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
eeaston16":3h67dvxc said:

Yes .... that's mostly likely what is going to happen , this is a case of "you can lead a horse to water BUT you cant make it drink" .

Lemonizer

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":werlcfxs said:
Lemonizer - show us the URLS where it is stated a 40 Gal tank is acceptable for an adult CENTRAL or EASTERN beardied dragon , are you sure they are not talking about Rankins Dragons ?

You do realise an adult bearded dragon will be about 2ft long and maybe 700g.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/
To begin with.

Gormagon, Volt, Babybeardie, BlueDragon - how sweet of you all <3

And, to think of it, you guys don't even know me.

In another response to kingofnobbys' long post.

1. Good luck upsetting a person who has no feelings.
2. Yes, not up to anyone else. Their biggest concern rn is the expenses and what people will say. Funny people, as the expenses will be my own and some people make fun of Jews and Christians so why exactly should we care?
3. Did I ask to change my parents' mind?
4. And more rude, seems like.
5. Tell this to my horses, how a pet will suffer in my hands. Go on, call me a sadistic sociopath.
6. Forensics. Homeschool, or, rather, homecolleged.
7. Social life? What's that?
8. Pets lol. I know a lot of people who go to college/uni and still have a house full of pets.
9. Nein.
10. Oh, poor them! Not planning to be one of those, sorry. But, sorry to brag, I am an artist.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[The rudeness on this thread needs to stop. I don't want to have to lock it. Personal warnings will be sent and will escalate from there if needed. If you cannot post something politely, don't post at all]

eeaston16

Moderators. Just lock this post already. This post had gotten far off topic and honestly I'm getting way to many emails about this. Please

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
eeaston16":1yfg71gl said:
Moderators. Just lock this post already. This post had gotten far off topic and honestly I'm getting way to many emails about this. Please
Go to your user panel and on the overview page you will see "manage subscription", hit that tab and you will see this........
87978-820302298.jpg

And at the bottom of each thread you can unsubscribe to each thread as well
87978-6106097931.jpg

I don't have much to help you with convincing your parents, but I do have a tip that might help you.
Since money is a bit of an issue, you could start a colony of a feeder of your choice now. That will save you some money.
As for trying to change minds, again i'm not much help there.

Lemonizer

Original Poster
Update/ my mum and I went to Petco today. Got gift cards for free and coupons. She liked the baby beardies, didn't like crickets.
Going to try to do it again tomorrow. We're definitely just going to see the poor pound animals (although if all else fails, I'll attempt a dog).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Petsmart does that here in this area as well. They allow the humane society to sell them at their store on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom