My bearded dragon had to be put down, just want some closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I got Bart in May, she was about 2 months old. From the get-go, I had perfect husbandry and no mistakes were made to my knowledge. Great appetite, eats her crickets and salad occasionally. In September, she started slowing down, but I just attributed it to a crazy baby starting to chill out. In mid-November, her appetite dropped and slight swelling in her limbs began to occur. Cue panic.

A vet visit (in Houston) and an expensive blood test showed high uric levels. She was prescribed Allopurinol. Two weeks into treatment, she has stopped eating completely for a few days, so I stop giving her Allopurinol as her condition was declining and begin force-feeding. I immediately call the vet (in Houston) and say I need a new plan as this isn't working and I get "Okay, we'll have a tech call you back soon". I wait a few days, and her condition seems stagnant. I soak her many times a day at this point, even use pedialyte. I send a fecal sample off to test ADV. One week after calling my vet (in Houston) with no response, Bart begins bleeding from her mouth a few minutes after warming up in the morning. Not just a little cut, this is a puddle of blood under her. She was having a horrible time breathing (I am currently in College Station, 1.5 hours away from Houston vet).

I found a vet in College Station and had her put down. The reason for the visit aside, this was the most wonderful dealing with a vet I've had. The vet offered free cremation (normally 50), free necropsy and report (normally 150), and the vet called me multiple times to check on me and report back. I even got a handwritten card along with a paw print. Best possible outcome, given the circumstances. On the other hand, the Houston vet called me one week after her death, TWO WEEKS after I called them. It was really upsetting.

I got the lab results back, ADV negative. The vet called for the necropsy report. Uric acid build up in limbs and around the heart. Fatty liver disease (she says once Bart stopped eating, this disease probably set in). All this lowered her immune system and she contracted a blood infection, which ultimately caused bleeding in her lungs.

I just want to know what led to this. The vet went over my husbandry and she says it could just be genetic, as there weren't any care issues. Thank you all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so very sorry to read this sad end for Bart. :( Treating reptiles is still not as advanced when symptoms present like this and sometimes the true cause of infections + certain conditions are not always known.

Thankfully you found a kind + competent vet in the end, at least that brought some comfort. But all my sympathy goes out to you, it's SO sad to lose a beloved pet in such a way.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so very sorry you lost Bart this way, heart wrenching! :cry: She was so very young.
I'm glad you at least found a good vet, if only to help at the end, with end care.
All I can think of is genetic predisposition from all of the horrendous inbreeding that is going on now. Was she a specialized morph such as a leatherback or a hypo/trans, etc?
My sincere condolences to you.

Tracie

label

Hatchling Member
Very sorry for your loss. My prettiest and friendliest southern angle-headed dragon went off her feed a few years ago and I thought it was just pre-shedding discomfort. Then a few days later she became sluggish, drank a lot of water and threw it up. Got to her to the top vet in the Melbourne area and a few minutes later she died; necropsy showed a massive liver infection. Reptiles are really good at hiding illness but they can get sick just like we can.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry you lost your dragon.
I agree with Tracie...lots of inbreeding going on. The gene pool hasn't been replenished in a very long time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
label":49u7dxsk said:
Very sorry for your loss. My prettiest and friendliest southern angle-headed dragon went off her feed a few years ago and I thought it was just pre-shedding discomfort. Then a few days later she became sluggish, drank a lot of water and threw it up. Got to her to the top vet in the Melbourne area and a few minutes later she died; necropsy showed a massive liver infection. Reptiles are really good at hiding illness but they can get sick just like we can.

Yep vomiting followed by lethargy seems to be a VERY INDICATOR with lizards. Little Lucky my wonderful first pet lizard ( who I rescued from next door's cat after he's been bitten or clawed in the head and was running across my front lawn with that cat in hot persuit ) seemed to good , was thriving and doing so well in my care the vet thought he was wonderful (too) and cured , but permanently blind in his right eye and so not fit ever to be released back to the wind ) after 9 months months and growing an entire new tail and growing from 5g to about 30g , suddenly sicked up one night after his meal and a big drink , he died in on my chest when I found him next morning laboring for breath.
It all happened very quick and I never managed to get him the vet in time , necropsy received a huge hidden abscess full of nasty bacteria in his body cavity which had burst causing a massive and fatal SI.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
{{{HUGS}}} Oh hun, I'm am so sorry :( I lost my Evee just last month - one day she 'seemed' ok, and the next was showing signs of not feeling well...and the next morning she was gone. The others are right - you probably did everything exactly as you should, they are so incredible at hiding their pain and illness. Your post makes me tear up because I felt the same way. I'm so glad the last vet you saw did all that for you (especially the paw print - oh my heart, that is such a sweet gesture). It's hard because you keep wondering what you could have done differently. It sounds like you did everything right.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I'm very sorry to hear about Bart - this story makes my heart ache and worry about my own buddies.

It's always hard not to blame yourself for the passing of a loved one, whether it be critter or human, but please don't look back and blame yourself. As others have said, it sounds like you did everything you could for Bart, and unfortunately some things are just genetic or happen suddenly.

I understand this may not do much to console your aching heart, and you will likely continue to think of what you could have done differently to prolong her life, but please know the result would have likely been the same :( You gave Bart a happy life, and though it ended suddenly, it does not mean you failed. It's very clear how much she was loved.

I encourage you to introduce a new loving beardie into your life when the time is right. Caring for another beautiful creature will help ease the pain of the loss and give you so much more to love.

Best wishes to you, and I am so sorry for your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom