app for reptiles suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBrooks88

Hi
My brother and myself have recently created and published a android app to help take care of pets mainly reptiles and amphibians. We decided to create this app after we have both had our first bearded dragons for about a year and wanted to log their development.

We are both fairly new reptile owners and were wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any improvements or features they think we should add.

So far our app: logs and graphs each of your pet's growth(weight and length) ,logs your pet's feeding routine, including supplements and frequency of each feeding, logs your pet's lighting fixtures, on/off times and light replacement dates, and allows you to create a photo gallery for each pet.

not sure if i can post links but https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abrooks.u1.mypetjournal if anyone wants to try it, will remove it if links are not allowed

If anyone has any ideas give us a suggestions below the more specific, the better
Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a pretty good start. I keep a log of daily weight (along with a graph and trendline) that includes notes for days meds were administered and which days were bug days etc. in a google doc. It might be useful to include feeder rotation (dubia on monday, silk worms on tuesday, etc.) and when it's time to order new feeders or supplies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I sent in a crash report - I just got her name and such in - clicked 'create pet' and it crashed and just kept crashing when I tried to open it :( I love the idea though. Charlie is still really young (maybe 3 1/2 - 4 months), so it would be great to track her growth (I suck at writing things down).

Sidenote - I'll try it again. I restarted my phone so hopefully it will work now.

aBrooks88

Original Poster
NBGwen":ay0vr6up said:
I sent in a crash report - I just got her name and such in - clicked 'create pet' and it crashed and just kept crashing when I tried to open it :( I love the idea though. Charlie is still really young (maybe 3 1/2 - 4 months), so it would be great to track her growth (I suck at writing things down).

Sidenote - I'll try it again. I restarted my phone so hopefully it will work now.

Glad you like the idea, we are looking into the crash now. Did you add a image if so did you allow the app access to your photo gallery.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
aBrooks88":34x60r01 said:
NBGwen":34x60r01 said:

Glad you like the idea, we are looking into the crash now. Did you add a image if so did you allow the app access to your photo gallery.

I did add a photo and it crashed after I clicked create pet. Did it again after I rebooted and reloaded it. ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
kingofnobbys":17lmguiq said:
Have MS EXCEL , charging and keeping a reptile log is easy .... no app needed IMO.

That is true and it would be simple to do, but I like the thought of an app lol

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So...I uninstalled and reinstalled twice. think I know the issue and it could be on my end. Every time I try to upload a certain photo of Charlie it crashes. I uploaded a different one (to the gallery) and it was ok. I entered food, lighting, etc, totally fine. The moment I tried to upload the photo of her on my keyboard - BOOM - app crashed...weird. I like it though. BUT this time it would open for me after the crash where before it wouldn't - it would just keep crashing. Now, though, when I go into the gallery it is crashing. There must be something about that image it doesn't like...so weird. It's one that I cropped just to reduce some of the back ground stuff, maybe that's why? Still odd.

***edit - ok I just added my dog and two cats and the gallery works fine for them so it has to be something about that one picture. VERY weird. I like the comments section as you can record vet visits there.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
This looks interesting! I'll have to try it out when I get home.

I wrote a program on my computer to do something similar, but never published it as an app. Considering my computer is long since dead, this may come in handy.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Confirmed that it had something to do with my image. I tried the unedited version of the same photo and it works! Just that photo causes it...weird...

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
For the growth section would it be possible to add a selectable date and the type of measurement used (ie inches, cm, g, oz) :)

Thanks!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, this sounds awesome! I would use it, but my family is an Apple product user house, so we can't get it :( BUT, if you ever make a version with Apple, I would totally try it out!

aBrooks88

Original Poster
Just wanted to say thank you for the responses and suggestions.
updated the gallery so hopefully NBGwen your picture will work now be sure to back up anything you added just in case, and added dates to the growth page.
i'll keep adding the suggestions you guys made but i wont post it here to avoid thread necro, so if you have any problems feel free to email me.
Thanks again :D

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I just saw this now and think it's a great idea/start. I haven't been documenting my dragons like I'd prefer, so I take photos of measurements and weigh-ins for my growing dragon, but an app i might actually use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom