Nail clipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirth

I have an 8 mos old beardie, Mordecai. He is very tame, but those nails.. man, they are sharp!! Is it okay to clip them? If so, what is the best technique?

Here is the currrent state of his nails before I do something about it (He did not approve this post... :lol: )

34308-3034196967.jpg
34308-5217268961.jpg

roddy

I would not advise clipping a beardies nails, however from your pics I can only see a soft fabric substrate layer, provide it with some hard surface in your viv and this may well blunt them a little.

Beardies are meant to have sharp claws. On occasion I get a few scratches from mine if they want handling and I reach into remove or add some food, they sometimes will both scurry up my arm, but this is part of having beardies and also a lesson to handle them more.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
That's about the length I clip to.... and I can not see any needle sharp points on those nails so , I would leave them be for now.

If you are going to clip them, only take a mm or 2 off the end of each nail with cat / bird nail scissors like these : https://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/45643

I've used this type of scissors to trim all my lizards' nails , even little water skinks like Lucky (who was about 8g when I first clipped his overgrowing nails) and Wriggles, and the BTS as little juveniles and my beardies as 3 or 4 month old hatchlings.
Granted with the smaller lizards I needed a jeweler's loop (magnifying glass) and my super bright miner's style headtorch (leaves hands free) to do the job as the nails and finger and toes were so tiny.
All my lizards never ever seem to even notice what I'm doing to their nails as I am super gentle and do it when they've had a nice long relaxing snuggle .... I think they just think I'm ticking their toes and fingers and just accept it as a one of nutty human querks.... LOL

If you have carpet bedding, I recommend getting rid of it as IT WILL HOOK UP / SNAG even blunt nails like shown.

Zirth

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback. I will leave them for now. I would only clip them if it was good for him. Somewhere I read that if you let them get too long, they curl under and pose a health risk, but if that's not an issue then I can deal with it... but will take your advice to add more hard surfaces to his cage (like slate rock) to file them down naturally.

I don't have fabric bedding. That is just a hammock in the upper corner of his cage that takes up less than 10% of the space. And not like those mesh ones that snag. Thanks for the concern, but I think it's safe, and it helps him get closer to his light for better UV absorption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom