Some Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkSorrow

So I bought a Bearded Dragon setup about a month ago. I spent about $700 on things. I have a 40g tank. The Bearded Dragon is only about 2 months old also. When I was at my old apartment the Bearded Dragon always sat on his basking tree under the dual lights. I moved about 3 weeks ago and set the tank on top of a stand against a wall in the Kitchen/Frontroom. About a week ago the heat light went out so I bought a new one. I was using a 100 watt bulb. I purchased a "Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 watt". I'm using this in a Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture LF-25. The problem is he's been hiding in the cave for about 2 weeks now and doesn't bask. When I pick him up he's expanded and feels cold. When I place him on the basking branch he just jumps down and goes back into the cave. He seems to be eating a little less too I think. I still seen some baby crickets in the cage an hour after I feed him. The temperature on the basking branch is only reading about 80-85F

Bearded.jpg

Bearded%202.jpg

Bearded%203.jpg

Bearded%204.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. A che is for night and he needs a bright white basking light. Is the uvb a coil/compact? Those cause their eyes to bother them. I'd replace it with a reptisun 10.0 T5 Tube light. How are you taking the temps?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DarkSorrow":1hmzfgwc said:
So I bought a Bearded Dragon setup about a month ago. I spent about $700 on things. I have a 40g tank. The Bearded Dragon is only about 2 months old also. When I was at my old apartment the Bearded Dragon always sat on his basking tree under the dual lights. I moved about 3 weeks ago and set the tank on top of a stand against a wall in the Kitchen/Frontroom. About a week ago the heat light went out so I bought a new one. I was using a 100 watt bulb. I purchased a "Zoo Med ReptiCare Ceramic Infrared Heat Emitter 150 watt". I'm using this in a Combo Deep Dome Dual Lamp Fixture LF-25. The problem is he's been hiding in the cave for about 2 weeks now and doesn't bask. When I pick him up he's expanded and feels cold. When I place him on the basking branch he just jumps down and goes back into the cave. He seems to be eating a little less too I think. I still seen some baby crickets in the cage an hour after I feed him. The temperature on the basking branch is only reading about 80-85F <<<< how are you measuring temperature at the basking spot ?
I see you have one those dial type analog thermometers , those things are hopelessly inaccurate and can be 25% in error so you really have no idea what the temperature at the basking spot is if you are relying on the indicated temperature shown by it..... recommend you buy some of these :
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-LCD-Electronic-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water-Detector-Practica-BU/252762165947?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ac464a2a1b24339be32c744b2ff5cf9%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201577608563 , I use these in all my tanks and tubs, at least two each, and they are accurate, easy to read , give you temperatures where the probe is located (on the end of 1m cable) at a glance and the their batteries last years.
and
one of these http://www.dshop.com.au/buy/infrared-non-contact-thermometer-with-laser-aimpoi/GM300?gclid=CITw5r2ay9ICFRSAvQodMBQGXg
to get surface temperatures , note this one has a spot 12:1 (means the measuring spot is 1" diameter at 12" from the target).

I also noted that you have the UV and basking lights mounted onto the top which is mesh .... got good, the mesh will block about 25% of the UVA and UVB from the UVB source (a compact UVB bulb I assume).
remedies :
1) cut a whole on the mesh to permit the UVA and UVB to pass unimpeded from the UVB globe to the basking spot
and ensure the UVB is rated at least 26W and 10% UVB at least until you can afford a T5 10-14%UVB tube and / or a good MVB..

or
remove the mesh top entirely and replace with a precut plywood lid with holes cut for the lights

or even better
remove the mesh top and replace with a precut plywood lid and hang the light fitting under it (will bring the basking light and UVB light closer to the lizard.

Insufficient heat , and insufficient exposure to UVA will result in lethargy and a cold lizard.
If the hatchling is too cold it can not digest it's food.
Insufficient UVB will result in very vitD in the blood , and the hatchling will not be able to metabolise dietary calcium and will not able to grown and can over time result in MBD.

Bearded.jpg

Bearded%202.jpg

Bearded%203.jpg

Bearded%204.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DarkSorrow":2yzy3wiy said:
I have a contact list thermometer that I can hold in my hand and scan an area. I was pointing it at the top of the basking branch which was reading 80-85F. He never had a problem before I moved. The only thing I changed was going to the ceramic heating bulb 150 watt. I'm going to buy some probe meters though next week when I get paid.

Be aware that it's very easy to get the wrong temperature using a non-contact thermometer which is held too far away and as a consequence measuring the spot of interest and the temperature of the background (unusually cooler by several degrees) as they measure the average temperature of everything they see inside the "measuring spot". Very import to measure from close enough so the surface who's temperature you want to measure FILLS the measuring spot.

Also very important to ensure you are not measuring the reflection of the basking light on the surface = specular error , so it's good practice to ensure you can't seen the reflection of the light source on the surface through the non-contact thermometer.

This the unit = http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=373&SearchID=5 ?

Unfortunately the unit you have is not very good , and unlikely to give a good reading of the surface unless you hold it's sensor within an inch or so of the surface who's temperature you require. It gives no information on the measuring spot size at given distances from it's sensor. NOT GOOD. Essentially a waste of $.

DarkSorrow

Original Poster
I removed the cave from my cage yesterday and my Bearded Dragon seems to be basking now and not hiding. Not sure why he would just hide with the cave rock in there and now he doesn't. Maybe he was fine and didn't want to bask?

Bearded%205.jpg

Bearded%206.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom