how to beardie proof a room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesuezee

Kingslys cage is in my daughters room. There are dressers he can get under along with the bed. We also have base board heating that concerns me. For now to get him out of the cage we have used cardboard to make a pretty big enclosure in the middle of the room. We have put out a log and some books to climb over and a rock but I feel like he wants everything outside the enclosure. We hang out with him while he is out too. Any suggestions to get him more space as he adjusts to his new surroundings?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just check to make sure there aren't heavy things around that could fall on him. Make sure any furniture he goes under (and he will love to go under furniture) is light enough for you to move or you can reach the furthest areas under it to get him out. Grates are on the vent ducts. No other animals in the room. Things like that. If you can't secure an area, barricade it off with something so he can't get to it. If he throws a fit, give him a spot in a window sill. You can almost always distract them by putting them near a window. You can also set up a basking lamp (clamp lamp or on an adjustable stand) somewhere in the room so he can return to it to warm up while he's out and about. I have 3 set up across my house - 2 MVBs and 1 regular halogen flood light in case he doesn't want UVB and just some higher heat. Keep a close eye on him while he's out, especially until you learn his usual hides. They like to find dark cozy spots to curl up and nap when they get cold or tired of roaming around.

mesuezee

Original Poster
We have a dog and a cat so that is why we are limiting him to free roaming in my daughters room, supervised with the door shut. We will have to baby proof a little more. She gets morning sun in her room so maybe we can set up a warming area near her window.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
We find postal tubes or long postal boxes are good barriers to stop beardies from crawling under furnature. Can block door ways with a long postal boxes (as long as they are about 10" tall laid on their side) , this way you can have door open and the doorway blocked, no risk of someone forgetting there is a lizard on the floor who could very easily curled up next to the door, or trying to look under it (who will he injured by an door being swung open against them).

No mouth sized toys , or bits and pieces on the floor , inquisitive young beardies are apt to try to eat them (esp if brightly coloured).

We only have lizards as pets, but if you have other animals as pets, (cats especially, and dogs) best to not let them be out on the floor when the other animals are present.

We never let two beardies share the floor together , but we do let a beardie and bluetongue share the floor on a regular basis buddy style. Both as adults are very similar size and neither sees the other as food, or a compedator .... (we found this out by careful trialing , more often than not the BTS and the beardie will pretty much ignore each other).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mesuezee":26eidt12 said:
We have a dog and a cat so that is why we are limiting him to free roaming in my daughters room, supervised with the door shut. We will have to baby proof a little more. She gets morning sun in her room so maybe we can set up a warming area near her window.

This is doable ... 3 precut sheets of Perspex (6mm x 1.2m joined by hinges so you can form 3 sides of a Perspex box with the window the other side).
When not used, simply fold up and slip under a bed.

All my BTS and beardies love to hang out at our floor to ceiling window next to the front door, get's sun in mid to late afternoon. They also like sticky beaking through the glass and watching the birds on front lawn, the wild skinks who visit them on the other side of the glass (regularly ---- hoping for a free feed from me or my wife) and to watch the people walking by.

mesuezee

Original Poster
Can you post a picture of the enclosure? I would really appreciate it. Sounds like exactly what I need!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom