IS MY DRAGON A NORMAL SIZE FOR HIS AGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amr17

I showed these comparison photos to some friends and had a few people express concern with how big he is. Someone told me they had an older dragon that is much much smaller! I'm concerned we are over feeding him. He eats crickets 3x a day, as many as
90097-4100537649.jpg
he can eat in 10 minutes. Sometimes over 20-30 in one sitting! Other times less than 10. He has salad all throughout the day. He is 7 months old, first pic is at 3 months when we bought him, 2d pic is only 4 months later... is this normal growth??

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Looks like he might have some German Giant in him he looks real healthy to me. Magnificent dragon!
Maybe they under-fed theirs.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Looks like a big healthy dragon. Some grow bigger than others...there are giants and miniature ones. Kind of like people, they come in different sizes. As previously mentioned it could be some German bloodlines, true German giants are pretty difficult (impossible?) to find. When I was breeding bearded dragons I had pure German giants that I obtained through Germany. They were massive animals...really impressive critters.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
amr17":91cnikxy said:
I showed these comparison photos to some friends and had a few people express concern with how big he is. Someone told me they had an older dragon that is much much smaller! I'm concerned we are over feeding him. He eats crickets 3x a day, as many as
90097-4100537649.jpg
he can eat in 10 minutes. Sometimes over 20-30 in one sitting! Other times less than 10. He has salad all throughout the day. He is 7 months old, first pic is at 3 months when we bought him, 2d pic is only 4 months later... is this normal growth??

My gang when they were 7 months old

Peppa (F) 279.1g
Toothless (M) 182.9g
Puff (M) 176g
Rex (F) 221.4g

All beardies grow differently, ie Peppa and Toothless have had identical feeding (almost to the bug) and identical husbandry, similarly for Puff and Rex. But there is still a difference in size nonetheless.

Essentially the more insect proteins and fats and dietary calcium the lizard consumes when young and growing fast the faster it will grow if it has sufficient UVB and heat to metabolise it's food and dietary calcium. Some have faster metabolisms and are more active than others (even siblings can grow differently (Peppa and Toothless are siblings , Puff and Rex too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom