A couple of questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinn

Hello! I'm new to the forums, this being my first post and all. I plan on getting a beardie sometime in the future, but not before I'm sure I've got the time, and information necessary to keep one thriving. Thus, I've got a few questions. I haven't been able to find the exact answers to these anywhere, so I'm hoping that those of you with years under your belt might be able to give me some answers.

1. I've heard people say that porous surfaces aren't good for the bottom of a cage, yet people have recommended ceramic slate tile. (I've also seen people recommend vinyl, but the chemicals that would be released are a no go.) I know that the unglazed slate is porous, so I'd be nervous to put any down. I believe I read something about baking the tile when the cage is cleaned though? I guess my real question here is, 'What would be a good, more 'permanent' bottom than paper towel or newspaper, and if it is some sort of tile, what do you do about the spaces between them?'

2. I read in the articles here that a mercury vapor bulb isn't for beginners. How come?

3. I know this question is probably the most ridiculous one you've ever heard, but as for those cages that have the lights on the inside (not sitting on the mesh covers) is there caging around them, or are they just out in the open, and if so, isn't anyone afraid they might touch them on accident? In some cages they seem pretty low.

4. What are the most common mistakes that you see first time beardie owners make, and how can I avoid making them?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these questions. I know they are very newbie-ish questions, and they're things that probably have everyone eye-rolling at me, but I want to assure you that I have no intentions of 'jumping the gun', running out, and grabbing up a dragon before I have all the necessary tools, and a much better understanding of their care.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Many people use shelf liner. There are lots of different styles and colors. I use vinyl shelf liner and a large piece of porcelain tile. I think you just pull up the tiles if cleaning is needed for those that use many pieces. Using a steamer works well for sanitizing the enclosure instead of using harsh cleaners. I like to use a handheld steamer and F10 cleaner.

The mercury vapor bulb is a fine choice too but the problem is they put out heat also. It might be challenging to get a proper heat gradient, especially if it's too hot. They cannot be put on a dimmer so you're only option is putting it further away thus diminishing the uvb. Some people also use it with the tube style elsewhere in the enclosure if it is a larger type. I have an MVB on hand as a back up or I use it in the window when it's cold so they can at least look through the glass when I give them window time.

Hopefully your cage is not too low since they like to be semi-arboreal. Ideally you don't want anything between the uvb and your baby. The less uvb being blocked the better. I have seen wires for heat bulbs. Personally I don't use anything and they are several inches away from it.

I read about a lot of MBD cases. Usually because of the UVB or lack of calcium. One thing for sure to watch for is having plastic lens over the uvb fixture. A mistake that happened to me. Make sure you have the correct type and change it when the suggested time for that bulb. But I think the most common mistake is not finding out enough information. The problem is you don't realize that till you have a problem with your first beardie. So I'm very happy you are doing your homework before hand. Getting them routine parasite checks is another. With our first beardie I didn't even think you had to do those for a lizard.

Pinn

Original Poster
Ah! I never thought to use shelf liner, which would be perfect since it doesn’t have that pesky adhesive, and I actually have a steamer so no problems there. I know with my rats I’m always terrified of using anything too harsh since they are so sensitive. (Although it’s sometimes unavoidable.)

That’s actually perfect. I live in Michigan, so there will be times when its too cold to sit in the windowsil. So I think having one hanging around would be a good idea, just maybe not for the cage at first? Unless of course I can figure out the gradient. I want to have the tank up and running for a while before I get the beardie, just to make sure that the temperatures will be perfect and I won’t have to make the poor beardie wait while I make adjustments. I also want to make sure I've got a small stockpile of back-up lights, because again it can get cold here sometimes.

I was looking into those front-opening, stackable cages, which is why I asked that question! I prefer the look of them, of course, if it wasn’t in the dragon's best interests then I could do without a more aesthetically pleasing tank in favor of something more comfortable for them.

I will be looking into an exotic vet beforehand as well. I know that the vet I take my rats to does well with them, but mammals are a lot different than reptiles, and I want to make sure that they know what their talking about. I mean any vet can slap ‘and exotics’ on their door, but through my mischief I’ve learned that it doesn’t always mean they know their stuff.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to this! I know you guys probably answer a bunch of questions from to-be owners, so the fact that you take your time and answer everything in depth is really nice.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I started out with a 40g breeder tank and have since then made 3 of my own enclosures because I wanted not only bigger enclosure but front sliding doors too and stackable.
88370-7761897379.jpg
By all means if you really like the MVB idea then go ahead with it. Depending how big the enclosure would be you might want to have a tube in the other part though. Just make sure they have places to hide so they can regulate.

Pinn

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure I'll get a dragon that's a little older if at all possible, since a lot of people have recommended them to first time reptile owners, so I'll be jumping straight into the larger sized cage. I think I'll have to play around with the lights, until I find a gradient that I'm confident about.

Wow, your cage looks amazing! I wish I was handy, but as far as building goes, I'm out x.x I might be able to coerce my dad into helping me out. He's really good at that stuff, but of course, I will have to study up on cages a little more before even considering it.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
It's not really hard at all I could help you out if you wanted to do it. That is 4x2x2. Depending what tools you have it would cost as low as $100 to make. It took me a while to make the first one but I made the last two pretty quick. The only thing that takes time is airing out sealant and paint. I couldn't find any sliding door enclosures that were big enough and in my price range.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
You seem to have found your answers, but I'll throw in my two pennies here as well.

1. I use tile for mine, but use as large of tile as you can. It's a pain when the poop seeps in the cracks and spreads to 8 other tiles underneath :banghead: When my dragon poops, I wash the tiles with castile soap and then bake them in my oven to santize them. If you have a steamer, you can also use that for effective cleaning.

2. As for MVB, from what I hear, it can be tricky to get proper temperatures. Sometimes the MVB is too far to heat the basking spot, so an additional bulb is needed, or sometimes enclosures aren't big enough for how hot they get. I prefer having separate lights because it allows for more adjustments. Plus, if either of my lights goes out, at least it's either the heat or UVB, and not both.

3. For mounting lights inside, you need a cage tall enough that the dragon won't be able to touch the lights. Heat lamps tend to come down 5+ inches depending on the hood used, so I wouldn't recommend mounting inside in anything smaller than a 2 foot high tank. I think the Exo-Terra's are the front opening tanks you are thinking about? Or are you looking at vision cages (which are pretty ugly IMO so I imagine you mean the Exo-Terras). If it's the Exo's, get the "Tall" version of the large, which is 24" tall. That should give you enough wiggle room to mount lights inside and also provide fun climbing opportunities. They really are more arboreal than people think. They don't climb trees or anything, but will typically seek out the highest spot since in the wild, that would be safest. It gives them a good vantage point.

4. Common mistakes are too hot of temperatures and incorrect measuring devices. Most people prefer Infrared Temperature guns as they are more accurate and give instant read-outs. You can also use probe thermometers, but they take a little bit to heat up. Stick-on dials are just junk. Other mistakes are no UVB, so get a good bulb like the ReptiSun T5 10.0 or the Arcadia 12%. Parasite checks should be done at least every 6 months and before every winter to make sure they don't brumate with parasites. Finally, DON'T buy from a pet shop. Find a private breeder or local rescue. Craigslist has these guys all the time and they are kept in such poor conditions. They just need some TLC sometimes. I would also recommend getting your dragon tested for Atadenovirus. It's an extremely common virus that has been doing immense damage to the gene pool. My dragon is a carrier of ADV and is constantly battling parasites, poor baby. I also have him on a daily supplemental slurry to help boost his immune system and protect his liver and kidneys. Knowing the ADV status of your dragon will let you know what future care might entail and whether or not they can ever have contact with other dragons or even other reptiles. My dragon would not be as healthy as he is today if I treated him like a dragon without ADV. It's a very important thing to know and so easy to test. A moderator here, Drache, runs a testing project: http://thepats.info/sign_up.html

Pinn

Original Poster
Kyleena29:
Really? I would be so grateful for any help! I wanted to build one, especially since everybody seems to recommend the 4x2x2 size. I should have all the tools, or at least, I should be able to borrow them from my dad. He's got just about anything you can think of! Time isn't an issue either, since I won't even be looking for dragons until I have my set-up. I'm also considering starting up a colony of dubia, so that would come before the bearded dragon as well! (Provided it's something I can do. I don't mind touching them, or anything, but they would be a new experience as well.)

Varalidaine:
What kind of tile do you use?

I'm definitely going to play around with it, and make sure that all my temps are correct. I will most likely post here with my set-up and whatnot before purchasing the dragon as well, just in case someone catches something that I don't have the experience to recognize yet. It's good to know that even people who have owned beardies still use the -seemingly- easier light set-up.

I was actually looking at both. The look of the exo-terras is far more pleasing than the vision cages, but the stack-able feature was definitely a plus. My biggest issue with the vision ones, aside from the look, was the fact that they seem very low. I have my eye on a couple themed caves, and basking spots, so I want to make sure I'd have the vertical space for it all!

Are there any breeders that you'd recommend? I know as far as adoptions go there are a couple websites like petfinder, and I'm sure there has to be a rescue somewhere around me. Oh no, your poor beardie! I'm glad to hear that you've taken such good care of him. I'll definitely make sure I find a good vet beforehand, that way I'll be able to rush out at the first sign of anything abnormal. Thank you so much for your answers! There is no such thing as too much information, so I welcome it all!

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
I used an un-glazed poured ceramic type I found at Lowes.

For breeders, I highly recommend Spice Dragons: http://www.spicedragons.com/ They have beautiful dragons and Dan is very caring and kind person. He only has around 20 breeders, and his children play with the dragons, so they get love and attention versus a place that has 50+ breeders is bordering on a mill in my opinion. Spice Dragons also has tested some of their breeders for ADV and they showed negative, so you have a higher chance of getting an ADV negative status as well. Stay away from Dachiu Dragons. It's run by a miserable person who knowingly breeds ADV positive dragons and ships them much too young.

Pinn

Original Poster
So far Spice Dragons has been the breeder I've had my eye on. I like just about all of the dragons I've seen from there, and their reviews are always really good! I haven't really thought too much about the type of dragon I want yet, but I'll be happy as long as it's healthy.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Glad you like Spice Dragons! I appreciate how much he cares for his animals. Of the breeders I talked to, he was by far the most pleasant and patient. I talked with him for about a month before picking a dragon and since I lived an hour away, he allowed me to drive to pick up the dragon instead of having him shipped. If you look on their instagram, they usually have pics of more recent clutches there and on Facebook as they aren't always the best at updating the website. I've never heard anything bad about Spice Dragons and the fact that he even considered testing for ADV is way more than any other breeder I talked to that flat out stated they don't test, which is irresponsible and detrimental to the species. I worked at a chain pet store and had to euthanize 4 baby dragons in a row due to ADV and another just died on it's own, so I've seen how common it is from people not testing. The whole ADV testing thing was why I chose Spice Dragons in the first place and even months after I purchased my dragon, I would text Dan occasionally for help or advice, and he always answered and was never bothered by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom