Brumation Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Kirby turned 1 year old in mid-Jan. He is trying his very best to brumate.

Background Information
- Male 1 year 1 month old
- hypo het trans leatherback - orange
- we got him from a great breeder in April who takes wonderful care of their animals
- Healthy at last vet appointment in summer
- was 20 inches last time we measured him sometime before Christmas
- tank 48x19x24
- uvb changed in September
- basking light changed in October
- he has a second basking spot near the patio door for when he is outside his tank (he loves to look out the window)
- our family's first reptile. He is completely spoiled with snuggles and love.

Since Semtember
- he really slowed down eating his crickets (80 a day down to 30-40 a day) but we assumed it was because he was getting older and growing less and that we live in Canada and it was getting colder and less sunny out. (No more basking outside in the sun) we assumed slowing his growth rate since he has hardly shed since September. Before he seemed to be in a never ending shed pattern

In the last month or so, he is
- Refusing to eat crickets, but will maybe eat a tiny bit once a week
- Refusing to eat his favourite fruit such as apples or raspberries, maybe a nibble once a week
- Refusing to eat his regular greens ( this really isn't a new issues for him)
- he looks so tired
- not really pooing since he really isn't eating

In the past 2 weeks he has started to hide from his lights under his giant cork ramp basking area. Every morning when we come downstairs he has moved from the top of the cork where I placed him after our nightly smuggle to under his cork ramp. I take him out and snuggle him and then place him under his basking lights. He has been staying in basking area for a while before hiding again. He hasn't eaten anything except for 2 small pieces of apple and 1 raspberry in the past week

But in the past couple of days this has moved to him refusing to bask at all and will smush further under his cork ramp if you try to take in out. He looks sooooooooo exhausted and of course his beautiful orange skin is looking much darker.

A couple of questions:
- Is he too young to be allowed to brumate
- if we let him bromate should we try to feed him crickets or just leave his greens in his usual spot? Trying to feed crickets would mean moving him to try to make him eat
- his last vet appointment was in the summer and he was perfectly healthy then. Should be bring him to the vet just in case or take a wait and see approach.
- when should we worry?
- besides his usual out of his tank time before and after work and longer on weekends, every night when we take our son upstairs for bed we bring Kirby up as well and after my son is in bed Kirby stays on my shoulder under a small blanket for nightly snuggles before we put him back on his basking log when we head up for bed. At this point Kirby isn't sleeping but looks terribly tired and his eyes are 1/3 closed. Can I still take him out of his tank to snuggle him under a blanket at night or should I leave him alone for now. Since he has had nightly snuggles since we got him at 3 1/2 months old, so I don't want him mad or upset that he isn't being snuggled.

I know I asked above, "when should I worry" but honestly we are worried because Kirby is a member of our family

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Kirby is plenty big for brumation and that's what I suspect it is. If you could get a poo sample you might have a fecal test done. If he's not losing weight [ more than 30-40 grams or so ] then I would let him sleep. Don't feed him or snuggle him. Offer water once every 7-10 days if he's awake. There are always a few exceptions but a large 1 year old dragon acting like Kirby is assumed to be brumating. They can do so with no harm, mine have in the past with no problem.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so very much for your input AHBD. It was very reassuring and helpful.

If he poos I will take it into the vet for testing.

Here he is hiding under his cork. Sorry that it's sideways. We're looking forward to him being back to his old self with bright eyes and looking energetic and happy again.
85940-4028153666.jpg

85940-2620143574.jpg

Linus is going through the same thing, almost exactly. It is so frustrating, isn't it? Since our beardies are almost the same age and length, (Linus is 20 inches and 600 grams), I think it really is seasonal slowdown.

SDragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hope that Linus is back to his old self soon as well.

Kirby came out into the basking area for 2 days but went back to the shaded area again today. We miss seeing him running around and snuggling him. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom