Attacked by Hawk; PSA To Beardie Owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonism

First of all, if this is in the wrong section of the forums, I apologize.

Alright so, yesterday afternoon I was just getting off work at around 1:30. The sun was shining after a rain and it was pretty hot out. I decided to take Jupiter out of his tank to get some natural sunlight and check the mail. I had him sitting in my lap in the middle of the driveway, soaking up the sun. I was holding the base of his tail firmly in case he decided to dart or anything. Now since I rarely take Jupiter outside, he was naturally nervous about every little sound and movement (especially eyeing the cars that kept passing by on the road.) He's always been a nervous little guy since I got him so I thought nothing of it really. Well, that was my mistake.

I started noticing him glancing up at me alot. At first I figured he was just making sure it was me. But then I saw this shadow from my peripheral vision. Curious, I looked to see what it was while covering Jupiter with my hands. Next thing I know, I feel razor sharp talons gripping my right hand and wings flapping. It was a hawk! Fortunately, Jupiter managed to dart away unscathed under my car while leaving me to the mercy of the hawk (gee, thanks buddy.) After realizing it missed its intended target, the hawk flew away before I could swat it, leaving my hand a bloody mess. I've got deep scratch wounds which I had to treat and cover, and now I have to miss work until they close and heal (I work in a food based industry). While I'm super thankful that Jupiter is ok, the experience itself was scary and if I hadn't reacted in that one second, Jupiter would have been gone. :(

Thankfully, after the incident, he was still under the car; black bearding and looking every which way. I brought him inside, gave him a bath, and put him back in his tank. This is a PSA to beardie owners. Please pay attention to your beardie's body language when you are outside, be aware of your surroundings, and check the sky every often or so. Just so you know, I live on a busy street where cars pass by constantly, I was partly in the shade of an oak tree we have in the front yard, and I live in a residential area. And despite all of that, the hawk still came down on us thinking it had an easy meal. NEVER think that you are safe just based on your environment! Danger can lurk and strike anywhere. I know I sure learned that lesson the hard way!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
We have two pairs of red tail hawks within 2 miles of or house out in the county. I have to keep a watchful eye out for them when Peaches is outside as well, they are very stealthy birds for sure.

I am glad Jupiter was crafty as well, make sure you get that wound cleaned cause those talons are not very sanitary.

MIMI510

Wow that is crazy! That hawk must have been really hungry to try to get to Jupiter especially with you there! I would have been shocked! Man Im glad he is okay and hope your hand heals fast!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad it worked out well aside from your hand. It's amazing how lightning quick dragons can be if they feel they're in danger from something overhead. I've seen my guys dart away from the hospital helicopter a few times and there's no way I could catch them.

So glad you and Jupiter are ok. I really think that you need to see a doctor to get your hand checked out and possibly some antibiotics. I was scratched by a cat many years ago, and ended up with a nasty infection due to the bacteria on claws. Birds, especially raptors like hawks are even less clean.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lucky for Jupiter that you was protecting him else he would disappeared and you wouldn't have ever known where he went or what had happened to him.

Closest I've seen was a wedgetailed eagle taking a neighbourhood cat. The cat never knew what hit it, one less free roaming cat.... cats regularly disappear around here as do smaller dogs, I suspect the local breeding pair of wedgetailed eagles are taking them). Some info about them - http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Aquila-audax

Another reason apart from the danger from local free ranging pet cats, the pack of dogs living nextdoor , and risk from local kookaburras and magpies , while my pet lizards don't get to roam about in my garden and backyard. Just too dangerous for them out there.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That is indeed a terrifying encounter!

I haven't yet seen a hawk or any other bird of prey floating around my house, but plenty of crows hang out seasonally around fall.

I would have thought you being there would have been enough to deter the attack, but thank goodness you looked when you did and Jupiter was quick to react.

I'll definitely have my eye on my dragons this upcoming summer. I plan to get them a pop-up "puppy playpen" for outside/travel with a zip on screen top if needed.

Dragonism

Original Poster
To everyone worried about my hand, don't worry. I went to the doctor and had it properly disinfected. Had some puss forming that wouldn't go away but after a clean (and painful) scrub, the doctor applied a topical treatment and wrapped my hand back up. If the hawk had scratched me any deeper, I would have needed stitches! x.x

Geez, its not safe to go outside these days, whether you're a lizard or a person. But all is well with me. I just want this post to serve as a warning for others who go outside with their beardies. Birds sure are hungrier and bolder these days....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Dragonism":rdiqpq3z said:
To everyone worried about my hand, don't worry. I went to the doctor and had it properly disinfected. Had some puss forming that wouldn't go away but after a clean (and painful) scrub, the doctor applied a topical treatment and wrapped my hand back up. If the hawk had scratched me any deeper, I would have needed stitches! x.x

Geez, its not safe to go outside these days, whether you're a lizard or a person. But all is well with me. I just want this post to serve as a warning for others who go outside with their beardies. Birds sure are hungrier and bolder these days....

Considering the nasty foods hawks and eagles eat (most them have no reluctance in tucking into carrion even if it's rotten and full of maggots) , I'm surprised the doc didn't put you onto antibiotics for a week or two.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

WOW, amazing! You took the attack, saving Jupiter. I am sure poor Jupiter is traumatized. You will need to get a playpen for him, so he can go back outside. That's what we have, because I am paranoid. I do let them roam some but I am a mother hen around them.
Several years back, someone here on the forum was sitting on their deck, with their dragon that had a harness on. A hawk swooped down & got him so fast that there wasn't anything he could do. All he saw was his dragon fighting, trying to get away & the harness trailing down. I had nightmares about that for years.
I am so glad that he is alright. Bless him.
I'm glad your hand is going to be alright.

Tracie

Dragonism

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3jt69y0a said:
Dragonism":3jt69y0a said:

Considering the nasty foods hawks and eagles eat (most them have no reluctance in tucking into carrion even if it's rotten and full of maggots) , I'm surprised the doc didn't put you onto antibiotics for a week or two.

He told me that if the puss comes back, that he'll prescribe me antibiotics. He scrubbed and scrapped away all the puss until my hand started bleeding again, then sanitized and put this cream on my hand which I need to apply twice a day. Right now, everything seems clear. But I'll definitely keep a watchful eye on my hand and go straight back if anything feels amiss. Thanks for your concern though~ <3

Dragonism

Original Poster
Drache613":3nvfdb2o said:
Hello,

WOW, amazing! You took the attack, saving Jupiter. I am sure poor Jupiter is traumatized. You will need to get a playpen for him, so he can go back outside. That's what we have, because I am paranoid. I do let them roam some but I am a mother hen around them.
Several years back, someone here on the forum was sitting on their deck, with their dragon that had a harness on. A hawk swooped down & got him so fast that there wasn't anything he could do. All he saw was his dragon fighting, trying to get away & the harness trailing down. I had nightmares about that for years.
I am so glad that he is alright. Bless him.
I'm glad your hand is going to be alright.

Tracie
Holy cow, that sounds even more terrifying than my experience. If that had happened to Jupiter, I think I'd give up owning beardies. :( I think its the fact that the hawks fly so close and boldly even though humans are present is the scariest thing. I guess they've just finally figured out that theres no way we can hurt them with how swift they are. Thats truly sad though; to just see your beardie taken away fighting. My heart goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom