Odd behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately (last two days or so), Ripley has been gaping and puffing out her beard a lot in quick puffs (you can sometimes hear the ear in her mouth let out quick), in addition, she's been waving her hands a little bit and the only time shes her normal color is if I put her in the tub or she's sleeping. Otherwise she seems a bit dark colored. She isn't currently in the mood for food lately but she'll still nibble on a few crickets every day and she doesn't want her greens. I know it's a bit too early for brumation, however because she's only around 7 months or so. Is this normal behavior? There hasn't been any changes in her regular routine. She just seems very aggressive right now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is Ripley your only dragon or is there another dragon in the house she could be showing aggression towards?
Have you seen any symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, mucous in the mouth or nose from her?
She could technically brumate at 7 months, but it is rare for them to at that age. Is she maintaining her weight steadily?
Does she push her beard out, then do like a forced exhalation of air correct? A lot of times, they like to show off or display for us, to entertain us I think. LOL Do you hear a clicking sound constantly during the day, or not often when she breaths?
If you notice any symptoms though of a respiratory infection, you can keep her tank around 80 at night to help boost her immune system. If it continues, you could take her in to be sure she isn't developing a respiratory infection, during wintertime.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Salivaplath

Original Poster
Ripley has the whole 40 gallon breeder to herself and she is still only around 16 inches so she's still got plenty of space before we move her to our larger tank. She's been by herself this whole time and hasn't shown any other signs of aggression before so it's very sudden.
She hasn't been coughing, wheezing, and has had zero mucous anywhere near her mouth or sinuses. The only noises she ever makes is when she does a forced exhale after puffing her beard out rapidly. She does the beard puffing more often when I come home from work and hang out in the bedroom. No clicks or any other noises as she is rather docile normally and quiet. She spends a lot of time lately under her hut but I move her onto her hammock in the afternoon and she stays put for the most part.

I have a CHE on her at night time as it's getting rather cold outside now so she does stay warm (80) degrees at night. The lowest her core temp goes is 75 at night.

Salivaplath

Original Poster
Possibly. However she doesn't have anything at all by her vent and her pores on her thighs are almost unnoticeable. I took her to a vet for a winter checkup and they said they were about 80% sure she was female but anything is possible. Are these normal behavioral signs of a male?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom