Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyrosmom

Spyro LOVES his reflection. He chases it back and forth and looks behind the mirror to try to find the "other beardie". He licks it and sometimes bites at it, but never beards or bobs or waves. Does he want the company of another beardie, or is he just curious? If he was being aggressive, he would have his beard out, right?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Some react differently to seeing their reflection in the mirror. It sounds like he is having fun watching himself, etc. Is he black bearding at all?
They do like interaction with others, but even so, shouldn't be housed together ideally, especially two males.
How old is Spyro?

Tracie

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Drache613":1ywgwzwv said:
Hello,

Some react differently to seeing their reflection in the mirror. It sounds like he is having fun watching himself, etc. Is he black bearding at all?
They do like interaction with others, but even so, shouldn't be housed together ideally, especially two males.
How old is Spyro?

Tracie

He's a 6 month old male and there's no black bearding or even displaying his beard at all. I'd love to have another baby but wouldn't be able to house them separately

Skipper7

Juvie Member
If you can't house separately I wouldn't recomen getting another. The outcome is often severely maimed or dead dragons :(

Spyrosmom

Original Poster
Skipper7":1sg0jeqf said:
If you can't house separately I wouldn't recomen getting another. The outcome is often severely maimed or dead dragons :(

Good to know for sure. I love my little guy and don't need another anyways ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep mirrors and lizards are problematical, we had a large wild (male) water skink visit inside the house who reacted very violently when I placed a small vanity mirror on the floor against the wall, he spotted the "other lizard" almost immediately and charged up to the mirror , headnodded violently then attacked it so fast I could hear the loud bag when he collided with mirror.

He only stopped attacking it when the mirror fell over and wound up under him, at which point he lost interest and left .

Your beardie likely knows the "other" beardie in the mirror is himself or not really there, when his hormones kick in you'll likely have a much more vigorous and violent response when he see's his own reflection , he's likely to become very aggressive towards "that other male".

I recommend against housing two beardies together unless it's to mate them (and then only to let them do the deed) , central bearded dragons are NOT SOCIAL , and do better housed separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom