DEVELOPMENTAL STAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I'm a newbie owner. My Beardie is supposedly only 4months old but is nearly 11inches in length [beardie manual I have states at this age he should be around 8inches]. Don't know if he is older or just growing at an alarming rate? I'm just curious if anyone with a bit off beardie rearing experience has any thoughts on this?

Go raibh maith agat [Thank-you]

Aine [Ireland]

89924-8862539520.jpg

Stres

Hatchling Member
AineLovesSteves":1oto4s8d said:
Hello

I'm a newbie owner. My Beardie is supposedly only 4months old but is nearly 11inches in length [beardie manual I have states at this age he should be around 8inches]. Don't know if he is older or just growing at an alarming rate? I'm just curious if anyone with a bit off beardie rearing experience has any thoughts on this?

Go raibh maith agat [Thank-you]

Aine [Ireland]

89924-8862539520.jpg

Hi there, not sure about average size - age, but here's an image of my dragon taken 2 days ago. It's around 5 months old

89302-852958570.jpg

Also they look related, I got mine from an Irish breeder (where dragons dwell)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, those are beautiful dragon. :) Your dragon is right in the average , some are larger at that age and some can be a bit smaller. I've hatched + raised many beardies , the largest 4 month old was 18" when I sold him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I personally don't place much value on comparisons based on length , typically here it STT (Snout - tailtip) , but many beardies loose their tail tips when very young to siblings who see a moving/twitching tail and bite it thinking it's food..

In scientific lit the standard is VTS (vent to snout) length and weight.

I place more reliance on beardie's weights.

Very easy to track the growth of a beardie by regularly weighing it.

My records show that at 4 months old
Rex (f) was 128g
Puff (m) was 105g
Peppa (f) was 119g
Toothless (m) was 91g

at 5 months old
Rex was 148g
Puff was 121g
Peppa was 191g
Toothless was 137g

Your beardie looks the same build as my Rex was at that age and also my Toothless. Toothless is highly energetic , a live wire ,while Puff and Peppa were much more laid back.

Four different dragons, even if sibling pairs, four completely different personalities, characters and behaviours. They are all different.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Thats certainly a possibility. Does he appear to have a bit of a gut? Are his hips and tail filled out with no visible bones? Can you see the fat pads on his head? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They all grow at different rates, as long as he's healthy + you have the proper set up [ which you can list all your tank specs. here if you like in case you need to make adjustments ] then he should be fine. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AineLovesSteves":26aes3nu said:
I weighed him and hes only around 45grams...and now i am panicking. Maybe he is younger than what i was told?

At 3 months old :
Peppa was 61g
Toothless was 51g
Puff was 43g
Rex was 40g

Just for a comparison.

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
r.e Skipper

Yes when he sits up he has a wee [sorry everything in the north of ireland is "wee"] fat belly that sits out like an old man with a guinness gut hahaha its adorable. And no bony parts, tail thick and strong and no sunken fat pads on his head.Gonna watch his weight closely though

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
r.e AHBD [Sorry havent figured out how to reply to individual messages yet]

3ft x 2ft tank, with uvb80 long tube desert light , ceramic heat lamp 75w above basking spot which u can see in the picture its black, reptile carpet, stone steps, branch and log. temp probe at basking end near lamp [sits around 35-40 degrees C] and at cool end near the stone step [sits around 28-30degress C].spends time in both areas mostly on various parts of the big log, comes over to glass when i am about to get out to use me as a climbing frame/pillow.light on for 12-14hrs daily off at night.turn it on for an hour in morning prior to feeding time so he has time to wake up etc.gets fed again in the afternoon if he appears interested.put various veggies on the stone step which he eats/runs through.i mist him daily as i think he may be about to shed as his colouring is dulling slightly in areas but again im new to this.not feeding him morio worms again as he just passed the outer casing of one obviously hard to digest.think this might explain why he didnt want to eat yesterday.will stick to softer insects.Any thoughts/input much appreciated.thanks in advance :)

89924-8581847478.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice big viv for him to run around. :) Big logs are always the best + most natural cage furniture for beardies, I agree to nix the morio [ super] worms definitely until he's older + bigger, and even then just use as a part of his diet along with other insects .

Do you say that his heat lamp is a black CHE ? Is there a bright white basking light anywhere ? If not, you need to swap out the CHE or set up another bright light and only use the black one for heat at night if it's needed. Beardies thrive in a brightly lit cage which can not be acheived using a ceramic heater.

AineLovesSteves

Original Poster
The black light is not really a light its ceramic and emits heat only-its above his basking spot to keep temperatures there hot for basking but it also heats the whole tank but obviosuly the parts not directly under it are slightly cooler for him incase he gets too warm basking. Across the top of the whole viv in a diagonal line i have a long tubular uv light.tried to get a picture below for you to see.sorry about the angle i had to lie on the floor to take it whilst Balthazar was giving me the old stinkeye

p.s the black plastic wires u see on the back of viv are my temperature probs, i have secured them with duct tape till i get something a bit more permanent to hold them in place

[ximg]89924 3499401789[/ximg]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that's what I asked about, whether it's a CHE. Those should not be used as the primary daytime basking light. The uvb gives off a dull light, the beardie needs a white basking bulb rather than the CHE. Beardies are affected very much by how their tank is lit. Try to get a regular white heat bulb for the tank ASAP. You can even use a halogen bulb par 38 from Walmart or a home or hardware store. A small flood lamp can also be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom