Is music stressful for my Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
It just depends on the animal. Skipper seems to hate some music, but loves Spanish music (and the language in general). Lol.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
AHBD":1lhlhmpt said:

Thanks for the link. It was good to review this info again. My reptile vet recommended Melissa Kaplan's stuff to me a while back when I wanted to learn more about my critters.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
fuchsiaSkies":jw55hv4u said:
Never had a dragon problem with music, as long as it's not excessively loud. Music itself is not going to bother anyone (no matter what is playing), just the volume... I play everything from Chopin to Sabbath and whatever may be in between... My snake, however, seems to actually enjoy it! He is generally in his hide most days, but when the violin comes out for practice, he comes out to investigate every single time. I think he likes the vibrations... So who knows? All animals have their own tastes... If the loud noises are bothering you, chances are your dragon isn't too happy, either. :shock:

That idea could apply to lots of other things besides sound as well (and sorry if this is a little off topic). We humans take lots of things in our environment for granted and don't realize that they could be stressful for our critters.

For example, sometimes my husband uses Ben-Gay -- it's not a really unpleasant odor (sort of menthol-camphor-peppermintish), its just that it's overwhelming in an enclosed space, and once in the summer he was planning to give the reptiles (snake and bearded dragon) their baths, but he just happened to put on some Ben-Gay first, and when I got a whiff, I realized that if was that overpowering to my poorly developed human sense of smell (not to mention that the best way to describe the condition of my sinuses is to say that our snake likes to hide in empty Kleenex boxes and I keep him well supplied, so my own sense of smell probably isn't even as good as that of the average human), then I had to wonder what it was going to be like for an animal with a Jacobson's organ? :shock:

Luckily, it was a sunny summer day and my husband hates to be indoors on a nice day, so it was no problem to convince him to postpone any handling of the reptiles and give him something to do in the backyard while giving the Ben-Gay fumes a chance to dissipate... :roll:

OzzieBorealis

Original Poster
Saphira does not seem bothered at all by music. I think she was just turning dark to absorb heat while she basks. she sits on my shoulder while I play heavy metal on my laptop and sleep right through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom