Juvie Member
for me it's a vicious cycle.
1. Curiously looking around
2. Getting mad when I see something terrible
3. Trying not to cry
4. Scraping my purse for spare change to try and save said dragon
5. Getting angry at myself for looking
6. Feeling terrible for wishing I hadn't looked

There's a pet shop near me that has an abused dragon and I don't buy anything from there but sometimes I still peek in to see if she's improved or I've even sent friends/family into spy for me

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yah that is how it is for me. We have to stop doing it to ourselves. But I think one day when I am looking I might be in a position to save one so I keep looking.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Me too. It would be nice one day to say "forget this. Come on lil dude you're coming with me!!" I really truly hope though that someone who is in a position to save these guys comes along soon enough.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Unfortunately they can't all be saved but there are good stories as well. Darwin was an abused dragon on Craigslist. Some day I'll have enough space to take in more than one rescue at a time and maybe do something like Sarah's rescue in Utah. It's really tough to deal with the helpless feelings but some good can come from it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another thing to keep in mind is that as an individual you can reach and help the most dragons by continuing to read through the posts on this site and share your experience and knowledge. Just by providing time you can reach out and help way more dragons that you could physically. I bookmark the site using this code https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts to make it easier to review all new posts and make sure nobody is waiting for a response.

Mordecai

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty new to bearded dragons and I am afraid of giving the wrong info so I keep my help to a min unless I am 100% sure I know what I am talking about.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Mordecai":2653cxot said:
I'm pretty new to bearded dragons and I am afraid of giving the wrong info so I keep my help to a min unless I am 100% sure I know what I am talking about.
ditto! There are so many more experienced people I try to let them answer and just follow along.

I actually got told off my a petsmart employee for correcting them while they were trying to sell a beardie. I am pretty sure I'm not welcome back in there :/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I didn't know a whole lot about them when I started on here either. I'd just lost Cooper and learned a bit from his treatments (fortunately I have a very good vet). I wanted to share the knowledge I gained from him as a tribute to help deal with him dying. I wound up spending a lot of time reading through the posts on here as well as reading articles about them and doing some of my own testing with lighting and over time it's built up into a good deal of knowledge about their habitats and lighting needs. I encourage you to do the same to any extent that you can. Just keep reading through posts and don't be afraid to chime in with your thoughts. This is a discussion forum so the more voices, opinions, and ideas thrown in the better in most cases. Our advice as a whole won't grow without new thoughts being thrown into the mix.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Zombiepanda":cj1448u9 said:
Mordecai":cj1448u9 said:
ditto! There are so many more experienced people I try to let them answer and just follow along.

I actually got told off my a petsmart employee for correcting them while they were trying to sell a beardie. I am pretty sure I'm not welcome back in there :/
Ya, I did that a few weeks ago too!
I had just walked in and there was a family looking to buy a beardie , the sales guy was standing there with the tub and the "paperwork". They had a cart full of things "they were advised to get" by said sales guy. I walked up when the guy was telling them about pellets and, mealworms for food. Well you know me.... I could not stand there and let him feed them a line of c r a p like that. I started telling the folks buying the dragon what was actually required and, the mom's jaw hit the floor. I also told them right in front of the sales guy that ""THESE CREATURES ARE NOT BEGGINER REPTILES"" and he needed to do his homework on dragons before trying to sell them. I wrote down this site and reptile mags name for the lady and her husband, they thanked me for letting them know then, put all the stuff back and, left.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Mordecai":fqvqr1mb said:
You probably save a dragon from a slow death
Could be. The lady said she would research it before getting one now but, she did say she was still going to but she would be ready before she did it.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Ya, I did that a few weeks ago too!
I had just walked in and there was a family looking to buy a beardie , the sales guy was standing there with the tub and the "paperwork". They had a cart full of things "they were advised to get" by said sales guy. I walked up when the guy was telling them about pellets and, mealworms for food. Well you know me.... I could not stand there and let him feed them a line of c r a p like that. I started telling the folks buying the dragon what was actually required and, the mom's jaw hit the floor. I also told them right in front of the sales guy that ""THESE CREATURES ARE NOT BEGGINER REPTILES"" and he needed to do his homework on dragons before trying to sell them. I wrote down this site and reptile mags name for the lady and her husband, they thanked me for letting them know then, put all the stuff back and, left.[/quote]

Yep!! I was waiting for some crickets (this cold snap caused mine to be delayed so I just need about a day or twos worth) and I see this family checking out the dragons. Well I'm checking them out too while I wait and I hear her telling them all kinds of bad information. I only caught the tail end of the lights so I wasn't sure about that but she told this family that a baby beardie gets pellets daily, freeze dried veggies three times per week, and about 5 crickets once per week. My jaw hit the floor!!! The family walked away to talk about it and the dad was apparently trying to get the children to get a hamster instead. I asked for my crickets and they were sold out.. again. At this point I'm not only fuming mad about the god awful load of bull, but my tipping point was calling the store and then telling me they got crickets in that day and I get there and nothing. I figured screw it. I walked up to the family and basically said "hey k heard you were looking at the bearded dragons. Great pets but let me tell you every thing wrong about what that lady just told you" the moms face was getting redder and redder and the dad was just getting outright mad that had been blank face told all this nonsense by someone looking to make a sale. To top it off I explained itto them by saying "that sales lady pretty much just told you how to starve a dragon to death excruciatingly slowly" I explained every detail of Maggie's setup and her feeding schedule. Well the lady walks up behind me and is like is there a problem here??? Needless to say she got an earful from the mom and I backed myself up saying no you're information isn't correct! You're going to kill these animals and you're giving information that will cause suffering and death plain and simple. She said she would get a manager and I told her not to bother that I was done. I left. Pretty good chance if I go back in that I am going to be told to leave lol oh well WORTH IT!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom