Why do I look on Craigslist:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Possibly...but with the volume of people that visit most chain stores its impossible to ban or catch everyone. A local pet store employee told me they had to stop selling rats because they got filmed picking them up by the tail. He said it was the best way to pick them up without getting bitten. Appearance wise it doesn't look good, but its totally harmless. I breed large volumes of rats every year, I get bitten a lot by them. They are quick and bite hard...trying to pick them up any other way is asking to get bitten really bad. I have scars from bites I have gotten....wearing thick welding gloves still doesn't stop them from biting. They bite right through them. I know because I tried it.
Thankfully I know someone with a rat farm, so when I need breeders I get them from her. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to find any...most shops quit selling them.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Reminds me of the vet visit I had a few days ago. I have to pick up my venomous reptiles by the tail. Their tails are incredibly thick and it is the safest way to handle them. A teenage boy saw me do it when I was placing the animal on the scale. He said "That's mean!!" I asked him if he would pick up a gun with the barrel pointed at him. He said "No way!!" Then I asked him if he wanted to pick up a venomous reptile by the loaded end.... :)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Rankins":zw0wdt6i said:
Reminds me of the vet visit I had a few days ago. I have to pick up my venomous reptiles by the tail. Their tails are incredibly thick and it is the safest way to handle them. A teenage boy saw me do it when I was placing the animal on the scale. He said "That's mean!!" I asked him if he would pick up a gun with the barrel pointed at him. He said "No way!!" Then I asked him if he wanted to pick up a venomous reptile by the loaded end.... :)

Good point! I saw someone at a reptile show ( a breeder!) who was picking up the dragons by their tails. Now, THAT'S not okay!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Totally agree with that!! Dragon tails are long and a bit skinny, they typically are not aggressive. My other reptiles tails are massively thick and they very rarely are in good moods. They usually always try to bite....
Its the exceptable way to pick them up, after I lift them I can get my hands under them to support them...I don't carry them around by their tails :)

Taffer

Hatchling Member
Rankins":2eihhyjf said:
He said "That's mean!!" I asked him if he would pick up a gun with the barrel pointed at him. He said "No way!!" Then I asked him if he wanted to pick up a venomous reptile by the loaded end.... :)

That's great! :0) People judge too often when no freaking clue about what they are talking about. Rats, squirrels, opossums, they all are a LOT faster than people realize, and they don't tend to nip for a warning, they go all out when they decide to bite from my very limited experience. My girlfriend brought a wounded squirrel into the house about 20 years ago and it got out. Ever tried to catch a wild and wounded squirrel inside a house without getting bitten? I did, barely, but I had 3 bite holes in my shirt, but no bite holes in me. I think I finally got it caught in a cardboard box after chasing it across the house and upstairs. After watching a 45 minute video on rabies the other day, I wish I'd never risked it. I knew rabies was a nasty killer, but did not realize it had a 100% kill rate in humans if not treated before any symptoms appear. It kills 100's of thousands of people every year in 3rd world countries.

Funniest story I ever had with a squirrel was hunting in the woods with my dad. We were standing on our 20 acres watching for deer at the end of the day, and a squirrel jumped down not too far from my dad who was about 20 yards from me. My dad moved and the squirrel took off towards the first thing it saw that wasn't ground, which was me. It jumped up on my leg, which was well insulated so I didn't even feel the claws, but it jumped, hopped up one little jaunt and immediately realized I wasn't a tree and jumped off me, running to the next nearest tree. It all happened so fast I didn't have time to react or even be scared, but I immediately burst out laughing wondering what was going through that squirrel's mind when it realized I wasn't a tree.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
If I wasn't so short on time at the vets, I would have spent a bit of time giving the teenager a bit of a class on them. I try to educate every chance I get. I want people to be interested and I have had people come to my home to see the zoo several times. I don't allow handling them. I just didn't have much time because the vet was waiting for the weight. I was (still am) also really worried about a newly purchase beaded lizard I got. When I got it I noticed red tissue protruding from the eyes. It looks like cherry eye that dogs get. Needless to say I was not thrilled I paid a fortune for a lizard with a problem. Its useless trying to contact the seller, so gotta make the best of a bad situation. My vet didn't know what was going on, so consulted with other vets. They assume its a fatty tumor between its eyes. They recommended bringing him out of brumation and put him on a diet. He's not overweight, and I really don't want to wake him up. He would be my best breeder male for 2 females I have. I still haven't brought him out of brumation...I'm still deciding if I want to. I'm thinking the tissue is just cosmetic because no xrays, cat scans or MRI were done. I'm not sure if I accept the vets opinion on this one. Hard to accept a diagnosis when there were no diagnostic testing done. In other words, the vets were guessing....

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Rankins":2achanup said:
If I wasn't so short on time at the vets, I would have spent a bit of time giving the teenager a bit of a class on them. I try to educate every chance I get. I want people to be interested and I have had people come to my home to see the zoo several times. I don't allow handling them. I just didn't have much time because the vet was waiting for the weight.

Wow, that is so neat!!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Its the main reason I build incubators for free for people. I also hold their hand for the first clutch, and am always available. Even at 3 am for one lady that called saying her thermostat was beeping. She lives 2 hrs away, so I drove over to find that she accidentally unplugged the cord for the ceramic heater. It took less than a minute to figure it out...but 4 hrs worth of driving. It was worth it because she is now a very good friend :)

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Rankins":3nc5f1ff said:
Its the main reason I build incubators for free for people. I also hold their hand for the first clutch, and am always available. Even at 3 am for one lady that called saying her thermostat was beeping. She lives 2 hrs away, so I drove over to find that she accidentally unplugged the cord for the ceramic heater. It took less than a minute to figure it out...but 4 hrs worth of driving. It was worth it because she is now a very good friend :)

Oh geez. That is good that it all worked out though :D

Taffer

Hatchling Member
Rankins":2dsob1kn said:
Hard to accept a diagnosis when there were no diagnostic testing done. In other words, the vets were guessing....

Sorry your vet sucked (at least that day anyway). I hope it turns out to be nothing. That stud could end up being your prize breeding mule! :D

Let me apologize up front for venting, but I get really agitated with the medical field when they don't do any real diagnostic testing. If I wanted a best guess, I'm more than intelligent enough to look stuff up on the internet. My dad died almost 4 years ago because multiple doctors treated his back pain, which were only symptoms of his prostate cancer, but they never did any diagnostic testing to find the root cause of the symptoms. The first issue happened on vacation. My dad never went to the doctor for pain, so when he asked to go we knew he was in a lot of pain. The quack in the box tossed him some pain pills, which for an urgent care is about the best you can expect. When he got home (after vacation) to his normal doctors for follow up they just gave him steroids to reduce any inflammation, which helped reduce the pain, but in reality it just masked the issue, allowing it to progress instead of treating the cancer as early as possible. Several months later when he was scheduled for surgery to repair something with an arm he broke previously, totally unrelated to the cancer, the doctor noticed muscle atrophy (reduction in the muscle mass) in the arm and sent my dad to a neurologist who immediately thought it was a tumor pressing on the spine causing the muscle atrophy and he ordered a MRI which found the tumor and prostate cancer. At the same time I had knee pain and the orthopedist took an X-Ray, which is great for bones, but not so much for cartridge. The doctor gave me a steroid shot in my knee, and signed me up for a month of heavy physical therapy, twice a week. After the month of PT ended my knee was worse than before, but the doctor refused to do any further diagnostic testing and told me I didn't need surgery and was basically staring at me to leave his office because as far as he was concerned, he was done and ready for his next patient. Since at that point my dad had just passed away 2 weeks before because no diagnostic testing was done, I probably pleaded (OK, argued) my case a bit more passionately than required, but in the end I was scheduled for an MRI. I took this to another doctor who specialized in only knees and after looking at my MRI he wouldn't even let me walk to the bathroom without stopping me to get crutches to keep weight off my right knee because the meniscus (cartridge) was torn that badly, and scheduled me for the first available surgery slot. I hate to think how much damage was done to my knee from the month of physical therapy. I had knee surgery less than 4 years ago, and I'll probably have to have surgery in the next year again, and my dad passed away all due to doctors taking their "best guess" versus forcing them to do diagnostic testing. Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to stress how important it is to force your doctors to do diagnostic testing. A 'guess' diagnosis is just a fast way to get you out of the door and spin the cookie cutter process and collect co-pays, but can cause you multiple trips to the doctor down the road, and cause issues to be even more severe down the road. Keep in mind pain killers only mask the pain. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong and stopping you from causing more damage, so when you use pain killers, there is a real chance you are not noticing the pain and just causing further damage.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I can relate, I had years of back pain until the doctors decided to do an MRI. Next day I was having emergency surgery to remove an exploded disk. Have since had another surgery, and two others have been recommended.
But back to animals...I found pictures of an exact same species of lizard with the exact same problem, they said it was idiopathic. So I'm going on the assumption mine is probably just cosmetic. I decided I'm not going to pull him out of brumation because of a diagnosis that was a guess. I'll just keep a close eye on him and evaluate him frequently for the next two months. After that he will be woken up for breeding.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hey guys, I have some good news (non related to previous posts). I have an acquaintance who happened to just get a beardie with no prior knowledge of care, feeding, husbandry, etc. Well, she happened to know that I have one, and asked some questions. As it turned out, she had all the wrong equipment (thanks to PetCo), and I advised her on what to get. She actually took all suggestions and began doing everything, including ordering 1k crickets! I am so happy just to know that I might have improved an animals life :mrgreen:

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
That's awesome Jess!!
It's nice to know people are benefiting from the knowledge we share. That's why this forum is so important. Sometimes we get frustrated, or see or hear stuff we don't want to. But others are learning just by discussing stuff like that.
So rest assured we all are making a difference. I also want to encourage people that don't post often, or even at all...please do post. Don't ever be afraid to post...I don't know everything (and never will) but the more discussion we have the more we all learn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom