Worried about Dixie, first time bearded owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Hi,
Sorry if its long winded.
I am a first time beardie owner. I bought Dixie female supposedly on september 11 , pet store said she was born sometime in June . When I weighed her she was 22 grams. As of today she is now 141 grams about 13 inches. I weigh her weekly , she can gain 10-15 grams .She is fed phoenix worms as her staple and every two weeks I get a shipment for butterworms/silkworms/hornwoms and sometimes crickets to offer her variety. I do the calcium D3 on these worms/crickets when i feed it to her not on the phoenix worms.

She has never been a big eater she eats about 20-30 phoenix worms a day. I offer her two feedings if she eats alot in the morning she will hardly take any on her second feeding. I give her one feeding in am (before works 7 am i fill her bowl veg and worms and one at pm (about 4 pm) . The amount of worms she can eat is unlimited I do not put a limit she eats as much as she likes . She eats a mix of vegetable (collard, squash,etc) doesnt really touch them but try to hand feed her a little bit daily.

When I first got her I had 20 gallon , 100 watt powersun vapor mercury. She was doing great.Had temp 90-110 and cooler side which was about 75-80 dregrees.
I bought her second tank about two weeks ago 50 gallons. I changed her lighting due to not having the correct temp, was not hot enough. I bought her reptisun hood (36) and light is 10.0 UVB T5 bulb , I bought the recommended one that you guys recommend on here. I bought her a basking spot light 150 watts . I have a temp gun and she does get a gradient of 90-110 if she wants too, basking rock and big branch where she can get close. Cool side about 74-82 depending The UVB i put across the tank ,on top of screen..

She just finished shedding today (seems im like in shedding hell all the time ) haha. my concern is she hasnt been eating much in past two weeks, was 135 grams last week and now is 141 grams (does poo daily) she seem to prefer now too chase the worms she finds in her viv instead of eating out of her bowl where she could eat like alot in one time and she is glass surfing today and yesturday . My concern is mostly her behavior she is acting crazy! I let her out everyday I have a hip leash where she can go and burn off this energy.

Since I have had her, she has never drank, I give her baths 3-4 times a week, not long just enough for her to get a good soak, spray her when she doesnt get one, put water on her snout not once did she lick it.
She is alert ,eyes looks good, poop has long tube with urate that is white, nothing oozing, Sleeps good at night. I have a timer 12 on and 12 off. She was from 9 am to 9 pm but changed her time to 730 am to 7 30 pm due to being dark early now and her falling asleep at around 8 pm . I live in Canada .
Im getting some butterworms and hornworms more than usual this weekend to fatten her up a bit .

I am posting some pictures of my set up, can someone give me advice>? Is my basking light in a good place? maybe should put more to the left side too get cooler side? ?UV light placed ok? How about the basking rock, it is in good place ? 150 basking light should I go to 100 watts? I have tiles and some newspaper for the flooring.
88515-3697644901.jpg
88515-551577933.jpg
88515-1818186925.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...Dixie is a nice looking girl and her set up looks great. :) She sounds like she's healthy, too. i think the strange behavior is from going in to a new tank [ relocation stress all over again ] as well as the shed. She should be fine.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks for the reassurance , that's going to be her home for some time and want it to be perfect :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) I would recommend one change, the tall log that gets her so close to the light could be lowered a bit or else put off to the side. Sometimes the tight beam high watt bulbs can actually burn them.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
]
Update on dixie, I have to say since i switch the tank and lighting.Used to have a powersun now reptisun tube 10 and basking light wow what a difference .She eats like a oinker!

She is now 15 inches and 213 grams!Bigger tank with the right lights can make a beardie thrive!
Dixie thanks this forum for a great beardie life!
88515-568931979.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom