help and advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all.

just resently got a dragon and a set up . he person i got him off said he only feeds him crickets . how hard is it going to be intorducing salad to him . also he had dry mealworms in which i have taken out . do i leave salad in all day or just put in for say twenty min then remove then giv him few crickets as a treat . he isnt very active at all he doesnt seem to move much thru the day . hes lives in a four foot tank . does he need live food every day or am i best not giving him crickets and just give him salad for few days .

also lighting and heating

the lad said he has the light bulk on for 12 hours per day . ten till ten . and the heating light is turned on all the time in the middle off the tank . is this correct

any help would be brilliant thanks

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Can you post a picture of him and his set up? You can leave a nice salad in his tank all day. Here is a site that gives you a list of what to feed beautifuldragons.com.

Stres

Hatchling Member
edddyheth139":x72wt4ft said:
hello all.

just resently got a dragon and a set up . he person i got him off said he only feeds him crickets . how hard is it going to be intorducing salad to him . also he had dry mealworms in which i have taken out . do i leave salad in all day or just put in for say twenty min then remove then giv him few crickets as a treat . he isnt very active at all he doesnt seem to move much thru the day . hes lives in a four foot tank . does he need live food every day or am i best not giving him crickets and just give him salad for few days .

also lighting and heating

the lad said he has the light bulk on for 12 hours per day . ten till ten . and the heating light is turned on all the time in the middle off the tank . is this correct

any help would be brilliant thanks

I'm new to bearded dragon care but from everything iv read the heat lamp should be placed at one end of the tank.

Especially in a 4ft vivarium to make sure you can get a thermal gradient so the dragon can regulate it's body temperature properly, if it can't cool down properly you will likely run into health issues.

Below is a link to a setup guide I used for my dragon.( Hope is not an issue linking to another reptile site, just trying to help)

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1105953-basic-guide-keeping-bearded-dragon.html

edddyheth139

Original Poster
Sorry about slow reply . Any help please . He is eating odd bits of fruit now which is a start . He prefers locusts . I've moved the light to oneside of tank . It's on 9am till 9pm . But he still isn't active at all he will sit in same spot all day . When a get him out he will move about for few minutes then just sit there . Doesn't really do much . I've got the heat upto 102f thru day and down to 70 on a night . But still never goes on his basking spot

edddyheth139

Original Poster
OzzieBorealis":14waaueh said:
I could not get my new guy to eat any vegetation so I got worried and googled it and found this website http://cricket-breeding.com/my-bearded-dragon-wont-eat-greens-veggies/ I put a piece of watermelon on a paper towel and placed it on her basking spot, when I got home it was gone.

Edit: I just saw that this is a month old and I hope your beardie is now eating greens, if not try the website above.

Thanks for that I will give the paper towel trick ago . He not a very big eater at the min a don't know if it's because it's winter am clueless but trying

edddyheth139":2md2njoe said:
Thanks for that I will give the paper towel trick ago . He not a very big eater at the min a don't know if it's because it's winter am clueless but trying

your gonna need more experienced help with that because I honestly couldn't tell you, might be brumation though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He might not like the sand around the basking area (it gets messy anyway). Try some fleece - it's soft and easy to clean. You could also try putting a flat piece of wood up against the basking rock (driftwood works well) and see if he'll lay on that to bask.

As far as veges go, they can be quite picky sometimes. I suggest trying to hand feed bits to him and see if he'll eat that way. Also try variety. Just keep rotating different options around and see what takes. I've had good luck with squash cut up into worm shapes, chopped green beans, and collard & turnip greens. They all tend to take to different options though.

edddyheth139

Original Poster
He doesn't seem to mind the sand though he sleeps or chills on the sand most of the day .. we have used like a bark round his house but TBH he never goes in . He just seems too lazy to move lol Evan eating the insects he will wait till they go near him then eat them lol . Will try abit of board see if he will bask on that . Other then that does the tank set up seem OK ?

edddyheth139

Original Poster
I've got him to eat a bit of kiwi and apply but tiny amount the veg is working progress a just dunno why he so lazy . All other dragons on YouTube seem to be more active lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom