Sexing dragons with flashlight?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Re: Sexing dragons with flashlight?

Postby Carmalitaaa » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:06 pm

I used this technique to determine the sex of my little guy Banjo
Carmalitaaa
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BeardieLover232 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm

i tired it on both my beardies! apparently, Lizarto stares at me for looking at his tail like "hey, what are you doing?"
squishy is a male
lizarto. i do not know... i tried to look for the black marking, i don't see any. i don't think lizarto has any. :( :shock:
i may have a female and not even know it. :oops:
Lizarto passed away may 21, 17
Squishy and Pebbles
BeardieLover232
Hatchling Poster

Postby Gryphex » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am

I did this when I brought home Mica, who was three months old at the time. I was doubtful about the results, since it's commonly said that beardies can't be sexed until they're older, but it was accurate!

Gryphex
Newbie Poster

Postby KhaleesiStormborn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I tried this with mine (3-4 months old I think, 10") but couldn't see anything :( maybe it wasn't bright enough flash light
KhaleesiStormborn
Newbie Poster

Postby Danel » Sat May 27, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm brand new to this forum and bearded, but found this method to work like a charm!! I've had me GIRL for a week and a day, so no skill required to use this technique. All you need is a flashlight and a dark room. (And maybe an extra hand, unless your not holding your beardie!)
Danel
Newbie Poster

Postby daughterofMyou » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:30 am

I'd been referring to Bandit as a "she" out of habit, because my last beardie was female. Turns out Bandit actually is a girl, if this method works at three months old! Thanks for the trick, I need to remember this one :)

(Edit - It was Bandit's first trip to the vet this morning. Vet said that 'she' looks more like a male, but it's too soon to tell for sure. Vet also suspected that Bandit is younger than we were told - 8 weeks, at most, when we were told 3 months. A bit naughty of the store, really!)
Sparky (RIP 2014, stroke) ~ Ginger: citrus morph (RIP 2017, tumour) ~ Bandit: leatherback
daughterofMyou
Hatchling Poster

Postby Ghoul » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:10 am

I've done this twice with my beardie, just to make sure. I can't even explain the stink eye she gave me after. I've never seen anything like it. :lol:
Ghoul
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby diamondfontaign » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Does this work for lil babies? Like 8 weeks old?
diamondfontaign
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:44 pm

You can try but it's not very accurate. If you like, post a few pics of your baby with tail arched as in the pic both with and without the flashlight. I can usually tell on babies.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Ellentomologist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 am

This method worked great for me when Guac was just a little squiggle... Now he's a big boy with huge pores and easily spotted "bulges", so. You know. N of one, but it did work for me. :-)
About me: Recent graduate working at a research laboratory. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians, but only one BD named Guacamole. Love getting and giving book recommendations. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster

Postby fcooper » Sat May 26, 2018 7:57 pm

It works well on small, light colored blue tongues as well.
Fellow beardie owner, if you'd cry if your beardie died, then you need to see this.
http://www.docdro.id/Gh3LnuP
fcooper
Hatchling Poster

Postby CocoMushu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I just recently took my two dragons to the Vet and they told me they couldn't tell how old they are or even what sex they are. My Coco is about 12 inches long and my Mushu is about 11 inches. I figured they would at least know the sex if not the age. Any idea?
CocoMushu
Newbie Poster

Postby Beardeddtagonlover » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Cool need to try this with flashlight but I knew this watching this video but no flashlight https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVo8oZ5r1I&t=19s
Beardeddtagonlover
Hatchling Poster

Postby Lovinonmybell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:17 pm

i was able to successfully do this with my girls once they got to a decent size.. plan on doing it with my little man once he gets a bit older to.
Lovinonmybell
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to General Discussion