Sexing dragons with flashlight?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Re: Sexing dragons with flashlight?

Postby Poggerna » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 pm

AHBD wrote:Yes, sometimes you're just seeing the muscles/tendons on the side. Babies can even often be sexed, watch this video , starting at the 1:30 mark. You have to be very gentle when doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlwOLEQYmSM

Oh wow, I literally just found that video myself too! Are you secretly me, but cooler? :lol:

He was sexed as a boy when he was listed by the breeder, but breeder couldn't see the bulges just before boxing him (so I presume she had done the tail check test before). I was told sometimes they could "hide" their bits and advised to try the flashlight test after a week (I did it a little sooner, but I had a hard time seeing things as previously mentioned). I wonder which observation is more reliable? And can a beardie who had previously displayed 2 bulges randomly not display them for a while?

And just to be clear, was the "yes" at my first question about both sexes having a pouch behind the vent or just to the muscles/tendons question?

I am probably making way too big a deal over this, so much apologies, asdkfjasd.
Proud Parent of Ardbert, Lizard of Light
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby AHBD » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Oh I don't know about any coolness factor, :) But yeah I meant the muscles on the side can look like hemi pene bulges at times. But look closely at the pictures of the adults from the article that I linked .
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Poggerna » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 am

Yeah, I saw. :lol:

I appreciate it, but I guess I was just wondering if the males are always flat behind the vent or if it's just the angle (and bigger bulges). I saw in the sexing baby beardies video that the bulges are more circular on them when they're that small, and sometimes I THINK I see mine has similar bulges but the center pouch is what's throwing me off, hence my question if that's something normal at a young age (I've read that everyone looks female when they're very young). Guess if this stays the same by 6 months, I'll know for sure I have a girl. XD

Thanks for all your help!
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Newbie Poster

Postby kayroy824 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:56 am

Can anyone pleaseeee help me sex this this cutie ?
I’m new to the beardy community and I couldn’t get the flashlight method to work for me so I took a picture in hopes for some help. [Click image to enlarge]
kayroy824
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:05 am

Hi Kayroy, if you want to start a thread and include a few more pics with better light and the tail arched back higher that would help. That pic there is not clear enough. It would be nice for you to start a thread anyway to introduce your little one. :)
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Poggerna » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:13 am

Finally tried again with the flashlight (no photos, tragically because I was out of hands u.u), but THIS TIME I definitely saw the faint silhouettes of "prongs" coming off the center "box"/"bar" (that actually seems to be growing smaller these past few days) that line up with the tiny bulges I'm seeing. Ardie is indeed a boy! :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this First World Conundrum! :lol:
Follow on Instagram!
Poggerna
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to General Discussion