Moving my beardie overseas

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Moving my beardie overseas

Postby shaffer2000 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:31 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

We are moving from the U.S. to Cartagena, Colombia toward the end of this year. My 6 year old son would just be devistated if we couldn't take his 1 year old beardie, Peanut, with us. I am currently applying for a CITES certificate which will provide permission to export (we hope). And I am aware of the health certificate I must have completed by a vet. But that's the scope of my knowledge. How do I get him there? A shipping company? An airline? And what do I ship him in? A cat carrier? A box? A homemade container? How long can they go without food and water? Please post if you've done this before and have suggestions. Thanks.
shaffer2000
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Moving my beardie overseas

Postby Tonja » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:55 am

maybe you can use a small animal carrier and put him under the seat of the airline you are using..and pack a carry on with essentials for him. I don't know but just a suggestion. Including towels the stewardesses may be able to heat up in a microwave for a few seconds for you. Never had to move like that with animals.
Tonja
BD.org Addict

Postby bunnyrut » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:28 pm

yes, check with the airline first. if you have to ship him see if someone can hold him for you for a day and then ship, just to make sure you get there first. choose overnight shipping.

here is another topic with info on that
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=138807
bunnyrut
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello,

It would also be a good idea to speak to the consuelate of that area to inquire if there is anything else needed. Since he is not an endangered species on a CITES list, with proper paperwork, he should be able to be imported. The health certificate needs to be signed & dated within 10 days of travel, too.
A small hard cat carrier would be fine for transporting. You can look online to see which carriers are approved by the Airlines.
Here is a site I bookmarked awhile back when we were considering moving overseas:

http://www.petmovers.com/site/html/services.htm

I hope this helps.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion