Fight the silence!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
So me and a few people were talking about starting to try and change the way pet stores treat their beardies we plan o n doing a Facebook page I think a fair goal is 10,000 likes a blog o n here and blogger.com and change.org I think some good stuff to put on is the proper care and the pet store care sheets in a lot of detail like what can happen with improper care and why and why not things should be used pictures of what a nice and healthy beardie lOoks like and what they can look like and what can happen with improper care and some funny pictures also what r plan is and how people can help

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Mike

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Maybe instead of just focusing on Bearded Dragons the focus could be on the care of all the reptiles? The reason I think this would be more effective is because there will be a much larger audience willing to speak up. We all care deeply for out Beardies but they can't be the only ones being neglected can they? (check out any reptile rescue, there's a depressing number of turtles and iguanas)

Edit to add: These are the reptiles waiting for homes on just one adoption site, petfinder.com. Bearded dragons are being neglected and we should speak out for them but there are other species that deserve recognition too. Also think of all the shelters and rescues that we could reach out to if we involved multiple species instead of just one :)
Alligator 1
Ball Python 23
Bearded Dragon 9
Boa 10
Boa Constrictor 17
Box 2
Burmese Python 3
Corn Snake 1
Corn/Rat 24
Eastern Box 3
Fire-Bellied Newt 1
Freshwater Fish 7
Frog 2
Gecko 9
Goldfish 1
Hermit Crab 3
Iguana 50
King Snake 2
King/Milk 12
Lizard 13
Milk Snake 1
Monitor 3
Other 5
Painted 1
Python 8
Red Foot 2
Red-Eared Slider 46
Russian 3
Snake 20
Sulcata 5
Tarantula 1
Turtle 51
Uromastyx 2
Water Dragon 4
Yellow-Bellied Slider 3

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
There's a new great idea maybe we could put some really serious rescue stories if u r intrested in helping with stories or in general please post your ideas or pm me

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
That's true but we will need number of people helping cause idk care for all reptiles but if anyone would like to send me care sheets for other animals I would be
Glad to put that on

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know how much good a blog or a Facebook page would do...I think the best bet would be to make a petition on change.org and write letters to local AND major news stations. If enough people write it, and stir up enough interest, then I think there's a chance at least one news station will do a story. Im just not sure that a news station would openly attack a pet store chain, but its always worth a try.

We need to try something. There's someone near me who has a reptile rescue, I could try emailing her and see if she'll help. And there's people on here that have more than just beardies. They might have stories.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
I agree with Katie. A blog would be a great place for additional information and facebook would be a good place to spread the word about the petition but if you want signatures you're going to want to make it as easy as possible and have them all in one spot. I just looked and there is currently not a petition to urge pet stores to take better care of their animals.

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
lol i just checked for petitions that already exist too. yup, none for what we're looking for.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
U would be surprised one time this news station put a store on the news about some guy complaining abouth the new canadian money or something like that it was dumb

Zeusmybeardie":1u5u2of3 said:
U would be surprised one time this news station put a store on the news about some guy complaining abouth the new canadian money or something like that it was dumb

If they can get away with putting that on the news we can certainly get out case on there!

saleen89559

Juvie Member
You should try to get a reptile accessory manufacturer on board. The one that is rated the best I think is Zoo-Med. Everyone here recommends the Reptisun 10.0 UV bulbs, and their heat bulbs work awesome too. Maybe they would be willing to work with some sort of initiative like this and even help promote it.

Evergreen

Juvie Member
Can non members see this thread? I can't really remember but I thought when I joined I could only see old posts. Maybe not... :?

We'll need to know exactly what were doing before we make a petition so it looks professional. Maybe there's a member here involved in politics/business/something professional that can help with effective wording?

saleen89559":1ljmmgeh said:
You should try to get a reptile accessory manufacturer on board. The one that is rated the best I think is Zoo-Med. Everyone here recommends the Reptisun 10.0 UV bulbs, and their heat bulbs work awesome too. Maybe they would be willing to work with some sort of initiative like this and even help promote it.
That's a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom