german giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

nini02

So i went to the reptile specialty store today to get some horn worms and we always walk around and look at all the different reptiles. And they had a german giant!!! I was so super excited. My husband who does not really have much of an interest was like its so dull but its so big. I fell in love. I wanted to buy her then and there!! But dodnt have money or space. Oh well. At leaat i got to see one, as i hear they are especially rare.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are rare.

I'd go to say that actual german giants are actually non-existant in America at least.

What makes you think it was a german giant?

-Brandon

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":hxk9gnjs said:
They are rare.

I'd go to say that actual german giants are actually non-existant in America at least.

What makes you think it was a german giant?

-Brandon

+1

nini02

Original Poster
The sign on the cage said so. Lol. Not that i believed that by itself tho. Someone had posted a picture of one on here and the one i saw was nearly identical to that picture. She was huge but not just body big. Her head looked like it was different shaped . More broad. And i dont get there too often, maybe once every two weeks or so. But if shes still there next time, i will def try to grab a pic of her. Like i said she was very dull with little to no color, but i still fell in love!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
German giants, besides being so large & of little colour, have longer heads & more narrow than regular large beardies. I have a big dragon, but he isn't a german giant, even though he's almost 2 feet long & weighs 782g. The biggest difference in Rubio is he's 10 1/2" long from snout to vent, which is 2" longer than the next largest dragon that I have. Here's a pic of his face, you'll notice his face is very wide. German giants faces are narrow but much longer than normal dragons:

2010003-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing a pic of the dragon. I don't blame you for falling in love, big dragons are alot of fun, and they really don't eat alot more than regular dragons. My smallest dragon, Didi, is 17" long & only 7 1/2" from snout to vent & he eats much more than Rubio.

nini02

Original Poster
dangit12":1677diwf said:
WHERES THE PETSTORE I WANT IT!

wheres the petstore?

lol. i dont wanna go back in cuz i dont want to have to walk away from her again. but, im on eastern long island, NY. the store is about 20 min away in Centereach. its a reptile specialty store called reptile world (i think, lol) or reptile hut not sure sorry.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's ok, I don't got but to one pet shop as I have a problem with leaving beardies behind, too. I have a friend who had a beardie that was part german giant & you could see by her head how different she was. Like Brandon said, they're also very rare. But big beardies like the one you saw are rare, too. I've had 8 dragons since 2006, a few rescues that I helped as much as possible but they passed away for various reasons. Rubio is one of the few rescues that I found at 3 mo old, he was the same size as all the other dragons I've had (I still have 4 males) but he's the biggest dragon I've ever seen and he's only 3 yrs old. His heaviest weight was 816g, he's now 782, which is still a big handful of beardie! He's a two handed beardie, for sure. :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Years back, we had a one-eyed beardie that I'm sure had some German Giant in him. He had a very long head and bigger body overall than any of our other beardies. He was a gentle giant and had dull colors. We got him from a pet store and the owner sold him to us for $20 because they weren't sure how to care for a one-eyed beardie and figured that no-one would adopt him. He was awesome. Unfortunately, he only lived to be 2 years old. We think he might have gotten stepped on by his mother when he was still in the egg and that's what caused the one eye to not develop correctly and he also had a spine deformation. When I get a chance, I will post a few pictures here of Widge if anyone is interested.

nini02

Original Poster
Went back to the store today. She was still there, but they wouldnt let me take her picture. She was too busy chasing her reflection so i would not have been able to get a good shot of her anyway. Im close to convincing my hubby to buy her for me. Just need to do a little bit more. But he said hed get rid of his 75 gal. Fish tank to make room for her. And my birthday is day after easter so im still hopeful she will find her way home to me. Keep your fingers crossed!!! And then i could def. Post some picture as she would be mine. So itd be a win win for everyone on here too. Lol

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I hope you can get this beardie for your birthday too.

A few people that posted here wanted me to post a few pics of Widge, so here they are. His whole body structure was much more massive than any of my other 4 beardies and his head was very elongated. In a few of the pictures, you can see his eye that never developed. His coloring was brighter as a baby and got duller as he got older. I apologize that some of the pictures aren't in age order. It seems good to see him again.
Picture3029.jpg

Picture5123.jpg

Picture5273.jpg

Picture5146.jpg

Picture5155.jpg

Picture4316.jpg

Picture4169.jpg

Picture4660.jpg

Picture5450.jpg

Widge.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom