How to train your Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyTheDragon

I was just wondering if there are any training exercises that I can do with my dragon. Like can you get them to learn a voice command, or is there certain behaviors to look for that you do NOT want to encourage? I've had my dragon for about half a year, not really sure how old he is though, as I got him from a friend who was just going to get rid of him. As a side note, is it me, or do these reptiles have an almost sincere longing in their eyes for contact? Everytime he looks at me with his eyes like he wants attention, I pick him up, let em chill with me, and I can't tell if he's happy, but he likes to look around. Curious little guys =) Thanks guys!!

At college I study animal care - one of our classes is training - and we were given a beardie to train. What we found is that they don't really respond well to sound/voice commands. We used clickers and the beardie just ignored it. I had a go with my beardie and he was the same. But what we did find is that they are very responsive to lazers for target training. We began placing a waxworm in front of him and shining the lazer on it, and before long when ever he saw the lazer he'd run towards it and follow it. So I guess that you could train beardies to follow targets... but if you use a lazer remember to be careful not to shine it in your beardies eyes!

LadyMeridius

Hatchling Member
This is going to sound crazy but...

When I let mine run around the house, she would poop where ever and whenever. One time she made it into the kitchen with the linoleum and did her business there. I patted her head and said "good girl" just like I would for my cats....after that, she always ran to the kitchen to do her "outside" poop. One time she even ran into the bathroom proper.

Now that I have a larger pool for her, she does it in there and doesn't really go outside the tank so much. :)

Evergreen

Juvie Member
AutumnFire":2keh7sqf said:
At college I study animal care - one of our classes is training - and we were given a beardie to train. What we found is that they don't really respond well to sound/voice commands. We used clickers and the beardie just ignored it. I had a go with my beardie and he was the same. But what we did find is that they are very responsive to lazers for target training. We began placing a waxworm in front of him and shining the lazer on it, and before long when ever he saw the lazer he'd run towards it and follow it. So I guess that you could train beardies to follow targets... but if you use a lazer remember to be careful not to shine it in your beardies eyes!

I haven't done an actual experiment like you did but just from daily interaction I have noticed the same things. My boy will very willingly approach/follow the lazer pointer (probably thinking it's food) but has even less of a reaction to a dog training clicker then with my voice.

I defiantly think you could condition a bearded dragon to connect following a lazer pointer with food. After a few months+ of working with him you could shine it around a little obstacle course? That could be fun one for the kids :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom