How Often can you hold a 5 inch baby beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sieradon

OK I have 5 kids and as you can imagine they all want to hold him. The ages of my kids are 10,12, 15, 16, and 18. They have been holding him alot. But he is completely not showing any signs of aggresion. My daughter even wrapped him up in a blanket in bed with her. We put him in his cage and he follows us everywhere. We pick him up and hold him and he falls asleep as soon as we hold him. I can't imagine that this is a lizard. Will he get more mean as he gets older? Does anyone else have one that was like this?

noella5088

Juvie Member
My beardie loves to be held at night before bed. She sleeps on me, but there's one thing I've noticed: She always wants out all day long. She loves to run. I'm home all day so I've got plenty of time to spend with her.
I don't mind taking her out of her tank, but she does need to bask for at least 8-10 hours in her lights. She loves attention and I've got a feeling that he/she likes being held and given a lot of attention by many people as long as it doesn't stress him/her. The more you hold him/her, the tamer she/he gets. They get used to being held.

I let my beardie out for at least an hour of exercise and I beardie proofed my room. She always runs to the windows even next to my bed. I make sure she goes to the bathroom before she comes out. She used to come out of her tank and go on me by accident until I found some doggie pads and use them when she's out. That way, it catches it and won't cause a mess. Beardies love to run around and explore in places that look like caves. They're curious and will get into everything. My beardie's name's Allie.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Mine is only in his cage for his required UVB and to digest his food. Other then that he's out roaming around and sleeping with me on the couch or bed

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome, Welcome! :wave: glad you made it here with your new little Beardie. Someone said Beardies are puppies with scales and it's so true! I just want to say enjoy your baby but with so many wanting to hold it remember it's a small baby and you don't want to exhaust it. Also it may have some relocation stress for a few day to a several days after you get it so he may be a bit stressed right now and should rest and not be handled to much until it has settled in.
No, dragons don't get aggressive as they get older. All 4 of my dragons, 2 adults, 2 juvies, love to be held....a lot....a lot :D
Many here have fleece blankies for their beardies. I have fleece blankies for all 4 of mine. They are baby blankets and are just the right size.
They will often take a nap when being held and cuddled.
I bath my dragons everyday for 2 reasons. It hydrates them and water stimulates your dragon to poo. A quick rinse off after they poo and you have a clean beardie and you don't have to worry about any accidents 99% of the time. {Baths: about 10 minutes for babies, a bit longer as they get older, water warm enough for a human infant, check it on your wrist, don't burn your beardie, very shallow water, water only up to their elbows for babies, up to their shoulders for adults.}
It is recommended to NEVER listen to the pet shops in regards to Bearded Dragon Care! They don't know how to properly care for them! Also the "kits" pet shops sell for Dragons are all wrong. .
I found these links to be invaluable to me and my dragons. I hope they will help you, too!
Here is a link on how to set up lighting viewtopic.php?f=34&t=148006
Here's a link on nutrition for your beardie, it color coded and so easy to use. Most here follow it. and of course your little one will need live feeders, no bigger that the space between the eyes, 2 to 3 times a day, all it can eat in 15 minutes. This can be from 10 to 25 or 30 small crickets at each feeding, and you will need to dust a feeding daily with calcium. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
And here's the reason NOT to use sand or anything loose as a substrate. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151
Has your little one have a name yet......and we all love pictures ....pictures please :D
Best Wishes to You and Your new little Beardie.
Amanda

sieradon

Original Poster
Well his name is Buddy. Well I went to a pet store and asked them what a good beginning pet lizard would and he told me a leopard gecko. I brought the leopard gecko home and set up his cage. We didn't bother it much being in a new place but when we tried to pick it up he will lunge at us and hiss. Well my kids are deathly afraid of it. They feed it but thats it. So I went to another pet store to get some crickets and there were these bearded dragons there and they were acting kind of funny cause everytime I looked in thier cage they kept running to the window to look at me. LOL So I came home and started reading all I could about them and decided to take the kids to go see it and they fell in love with him right away. He doesn't squirm at all and loves to be held. I am using carpet on his cage bottom. He is even trying collard greens already. He must be making it very easy on us. I don't know why they don't say a bearded dragon for a first time pet owner. It wasn't that hard to tell me what I needed. The only real difference was an extra light and calcium for the crickets and the kids are loving him. Is it possible to spoil him too much? lol Oh well here is a pic.
Tiny42.jpg

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
sieradon":3hqreza5 said:
Well his name is Buddy. Well I went to a pet store and asked them what a good beginning pet lizard would and he told me a leopard gecko. I brought the leopard gecko home and set up his cage. I don't know why they don't say a bearded dragon for a first time pet owner. It wasn't that hard to tell me what I needed. The only real difference was an extra light and calcium for the crickets and the kids are loving him. Is it possible to spoil him too much? lol Oh well here is a pic.
Tiny42.jpg

Gawd I'd love to know the name of the place and jerk who sold you a leopard gecko for a beginning reptile pet...Gecko's are NOT beginner pets IMO. They take a lot more care and attention to detail, and least in my mind.

As for the other- I've actually heard many times that beardies are good for first time reptile owners and first time pets for people who have allergies. Glad to hear such a good story!!

sieradon

Original Poster
It was at petsmart. I hate to say it but we took the leopard gecko back and told them it was NOT working out. I traded him in on a nother beardie. Things are working out excellent. But it was a pain in the but looking for light fixtures for UVB and the bulbs for them both at the same place. Had to drive 40 miles one way to get them. But we have EVERYTHING now and are so happy with the little guys or gals. :D

clossboss

Hatchling Member
Do u have them together? They could fight down the road and lose limbs tails or toes. 2 dragons, 2 tanks

sieradon

Original Poster
No we don't have them together. We hold them and they just look at each other. I really don't want to actually put them together. My first little guy or gal I got already lost half his tail before we got him. They are doing really great except they don't eat many crickets like I thought they would. Someone told me to give them pellets. Your thoughts? They are only maybe 4 or 5 inches not including the tail. Has anyone ever gotten salmonella from their beardies?

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
sieradon":3uu2yl92 said:
No we don't have them together. We hold them and they just look at each other. I really don't want to actually put them together. My first little guy or gal I got already lost half his tail before we got him. They are doing really great except they don't eat many crickets like I thought they would. Someone told me to give them pellets. Your thoughts? They are only maybe 4 or 5 inches not including the tail. Has anyone ever gotten salmonella from their beardies?

I would leave an available supply of pellets for them. I had my boy go eat some dirt while climbing around in a houseplant the other day!! It kinda freaked me out, then I realized my lack of pellets might be the culprit not his weirdness. So now I'm mixing his baby-food with a little olive-oil for the next few weeks just to be safe.

Franklin is missing a few inches on his tail from nipping as well. I actually like it, he has more "character", he's more "compact", and has less danger of getting his tail caught places. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom