Beardie Toenails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
I want to trim Franklins Nails because they're getting scratchy, I just wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to do it right, I've never really clipped anything's nails before and I don't want to hurt him!
Thanks in advance!
Also I've noticed that a lot of pictures Beardies have a lot of black toenails, but Franklins are clear! What's up with that??
IMAG0121.jpg

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
Clipping a beardies nails is like clipping a cats. You can use human nail clippers and your just taking off the very tip. Clear means your dragon is Hypo.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Forgive my ignorance but what in the world does "Hypo" mean? I keep hearing these words but I don't really know half of them :(

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
If you look closely at a claw, you can see the quik (part that will bleed and hurt if cut) - give this at least a few milimeters berth. I usually cut my beardie's nails after their bath as well, my logic is the nail may be a little softer and will be less likely to splinter.

Mirthy

Sub-Adult Member
I recommend nail clipping when your beardie is nice and quiet. Perhaps after a bath or right before bedtime, whatever works for your dragon. If your dragon is used to laying in or on a towel, this can help.
Go slow and take your time. If you don't already, spend some time petting and touching your beardies' toes so that he is more used to it. I've clipped a couple of Norris' nails, just to get it in as part of our routine.
If you're relaxed and he's relaxed, it will be much less stressful all around, I think. Just clip off the tip. You can use a file or peti-paws or the like to smooth around the edges if your dragon is bigger.
Because your dragon has clear nails, it will be easier to see the quick, or blood that goes into the base of the claw. If you can't see it and are curious, you can use a flashlight and shine it at the nail for a better look.

Hope that helps!
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom