Beardie Toenails!

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Beardie Toenails!

Postby RandyMarsh » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I want to trim Franklins Nails because they're getting scratchy, I just wanted to see if I could get some advice on how to do it right, I've never really clipped anything's nails before and I don't want to hurt him!
Thanks in advance!
Also I've noticed that a lot of pictures Beardies have a lot of black toenails, but Franklins are clear! What's up with that??
Name: Franklin Reynolds
color: Marketed Leucistic, het for AWESOME
size: 430-something Grams
RandyMarsh
Sub-Adult Poster

Re: Beardie Toenails!

Postby aussiefreak101 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:30 pm

Clipping a beardies nails is like clipping a cats. You can use human nail clippers and your just taking off the very tip. Clear means your dragon is Hypo.
aussiefreak101
Hatchling Poster

Postby RandyMarsh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Forgive my ignorance but what in the world does "Hypo" mean? I keep hearing these words but I don't really know half of them :(
Name: Franklin Reynolds
color: Marketed Leucistic, het for AWESOME
size: 430-something Grams
RandyMarsh
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby aussiefreak101 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:57 pm

This is a good explanation of the different genetics http://www.mbdragons.eu/en/genetica.html#hypo
aussiefreak101
Hatchling Poster

Postby pogvitt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:42 am

If you look closely at a claw, you can see the quik (part that will bleed and hurt if cut) - give this at least a few milimeters berth. I usually cut my beardie's nails after their bath as well, my logic is the nail may be a little softer and will be less likely to splinter.
pogvitt
Hatchling Poster

Postby Mirthy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:30 pm

I recommend nail clipping when your beardie is nice and quiet. Perhaps after a bath or right before bedtime, whatever works for your dragon. If your dragon is used to laying in or on a towel, this can help.
Go slow and take your time. If you don't already, spend some time petting and touching your beardies' toes so that he is more used to it. I've clipped a couple of Norris' nails, just to get it in as part of our routine.
If you're relaxed and he's relaxed, it will be much less stressful all around, I think. Just clip off the tip. You can use a file or peti-paws or the like to smooth around the edges if your dragon is bigger.
Because your dragon has clear nails, it will be easier to see the quick, or blood that goes into the base of the claw. If you can't see it and are curious, you can use a flashlight and shine it at the nail for a better look.

Hope that helps!
Carrie
Mirthy
Sub-Adult Poster

Return to General Discussion