Trimming nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Hey everyone. I have been thinking about cutting Midna's nails. When she is on my shoulder she has moments where she wants to climb up the back of my neck and lately it's been a little "scratchy" and does not feel good. I looked at my hand this morning and noticed that I have 3 little scratches from where I had to pick her up and move her (but their nothing compaired to the dog or cat scratches that I have). When she gets bigger I know my nephews are going to want to hold her but I don't want them to get scratched.

Is there a way to cut or trim them that you all know about? Is one way better than another? I was thinking about taking nail clippers and just getting the pointy part at the end because that is all that I'm worried about at the moment. But then I was thinking that I don't want to let their nails get out of hand (lol, out of hand.....ok, sry) and before I know it their nail be super long and maybe hurt them when they walk or climb.

Or do you even trim them at all? There isn't anything in their viv at the moment that really trims their nails so it's possible that they might get long. I was also thinking about getting some fine grain sand paper and put it in a common walk path so they could trim themselves.

What do you think???

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
This is a photo of an iguana but beardies nails are similar. Don't cut higher than the red line in the photo. if your worried about doing it (i know i was when i 1st did it) you can try filing them:

DSCN2863.jpg

91438Bearded_Dragon_Nail_Diagram.jpg

I took mine to the pet shop i got her from and they cut them for £2- is there somewhere you could take yours? Also ive recently put tiles in my viv and its kept her nails really short- i am no longer covered in tiny cuts! A sandpaper walkway may file them too short. My tiles are textured but not loads and they still do the job well :D

EDIT: sorry put the wrong photo in, changed it now :oops:

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
I am interested in hearing other answers, but am working on keeping Joga's nails trim. I bought a reptile clipper from petmountain (I understand you can use baby clippers as well) and trimmed the ends - be careful not to catch the quick, as they will bleed. This reminds me of how I used to clip my dog's nails - trimming the ends off and taking a little more each week -the quick recedes and the nails get shorter. I sat her down in the evening when she was fairly sleepy :sleepy2: and sat her under a bright light (she was wanting to snuggle but cooperated for the most part) and I trimmed her nails last week for the first time. Folks suggest rocks and tile in the viv to wear down the nails - I have that too, but she'd have to run a marathon in her viv to wear them down in any reasonable amount of time I think :roll:

I was also worrying about when I should start (she's almost 6 mos old) - I figured no time like now, since her nails are only getting longer and sharper by the day...

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
BeardieGrandma":1shp7ctd said:
Folks suggest rocks and tile in the viv to wear down the nails - I have that too, but she'd have to run a marathon in her viv to wear them down in any reasonable amount of time I think :roll:

When i got my beardies trimmed over a month ago, i was surprised at how short they have stayed because of the tiles, even though my tiles aren't that rough- no more cuts for me lol :D

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I have cut other animals nails before (dog, cat, rabbit) and I have done my goats hooves, but reptile nails are new to me. I remember not to hit the quick (I learned that with my rabbit :( that was not fun) but with the beardies they are so small. So if I just get the tip of the nail and do it every week or so the quick should to closer to the toe?

After you get them trimmed are they able to still climb the same? Like when I have my beardie on me she will climb on my shirt.

busak87

Ive cut my guys nails with guinea pig nail cutters,it works, but cuz they are so small its a bit hard. recently my girlfriend bought a dremel from a pet store. Its used to cut dogs and cats nails, we used it on our beardies and it works amazing!!! Their nails stay filled down and they are so smooth after we use the dremel, I would recommend getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom