Not open for further replies.

blcandgbj

Can you please help us identify what sex our three bearded dragons are

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Your pulling the tail too far, might even be making your dragon, or her feel uncomfortable, you should do a gentle 90degree angle. I think she is a girl though.

pogvitt

Hatchling Member
Yes, I agree with beardednoob, you are pulling the tail too far back. Remember, it is an extension of their spine with a limited range of motion - push it too far and you will have a spinal injury. Don't be too hard on yourself though, everyone makes husbandry mistakes - what matters is how you deal with them once you have learned what you're doing wrong.

As for the sex, as far as I know the only sure-fire way to sex a beardie is to observe its behaviour in the presence of another beardie. Although characteristics like femoral pores and hemipenal bulges can provide a strong indication of gender, they are not definitively indicative.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
First if your gonna take pictures of your dragons junk, they should feel comfortible, you can help this by giving a compliment. Dinner and a movie first helps too... :shock: JK
Here are some pictures of Des, he is just over 9 inches but, I have been able to tell he is male for well awhile.
Okay to start here are some images to show the maximum you should angle your dragons tail.
SAM_0643.jpg

SAM_0644.jpg

SAM_0645.jpg

SAM_0648.jpg

Leads us to look in this area.
SAM_0650.jpg

Kinda hard to see on pictures and since he is still young but I have tricks for that.
SAM_0652.jpg

LOL looks like a face ehhmmm, oh yeah serious. I have circled area which show Des is a male (again he is young, as he matures they will become more prominent).
SAM_065222.jpg

Now for the trick, darken the image just a bit, you will be able to see the result in a picture better. In person you don't have to do this.
SAM_0652-1.jpg

SAM_0652-12.jpg

Okay so, that is my oldest, and is a male. A female will have one bump in the middle of the tail and smaller femoral pores.
I want to also mention, repost your images again, we will be glad to help you, unless my help has helped you enough to identify them for yourself. And I think it was the first and second ones which I thought were female. Another thing you can do is post one picture of the vent area and one of the dragons head at a back angle like this one
SAM_0641.jpg

I would like to thank Des for being such a sport :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom