Best way for cats and beardies to get along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ersl12

I just got a baby beardie, he's probably at most two weeks old. We also have two cats, they are still young.. about a 1 1/2 years old. We keep the beardie in our computer room and usually leave the door shut unless me and my boyfriend are both, or at least one of us are in there. My one cat is more curious and playful (sometimes bad!) and the other one is calm.. so far, the curious one jumped up one time and tried to jump on top of the screen.. the other one jumped up on the table and just sat calmly and watched. Surprisingly the beardie didn't seem scared or to even care they were there, and when we took him out and held him he was fine. I always see pictures of cats laying with beardies, but what's the best way to "introduce" them and at what age? I figure it's a bad idea now since our beardie is just a baby. But I'd love to see one day them both getting along!

I'd wait until your beardie is six-eight months old before introducing the cats, just in case they accidentaly hurt him at his age.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
Cats, being a natural predator, tend to see small lizards as a toy/snack. So it is not advisable to let them near your dragon until he is much larger. Even at that stage cats are not something i would ever trust with one of my lizards. Personally I would suggest against "introducing" them as they are natural enemies (wild cats are a major predator of wild lizards). Just my .02 cents

PS
Are you sure on that age? That is FAR too young for someone to be selling a dragon.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I have to agree with Spyder on this, safest thing is to not introduce them at all. I know there are plenty of cute cat and beardie pictures but there are also plenty of cat attack stories. All it take is once for a dragon to get bitten or scratched, even the most docile and lazy cat has hunting instincts.

plato

My 3 cats are fine with my adult beardie, with supervision.I have put acrylic sheet on the top of the screens, so the cats don't fall through.
I also have mounted my heat lamp into the corner of the tank with electrical tape with a mesh voer, so the cats don't knock it off and start a fire. Works great!

ersl12

Original Poster
I know it's probably not best for them to be together, but since I have two cats and live in a condo, they are bound to see each other all the time.. and I want them to at least acknowledge their presence without wanting to attack each other. We keep the door closed to the room the beardie is when we aren't home. I obviously wouldn't take the beardie out as a baby and show them to the cats. Sometimes the cats will sit at the tank and just stare, and seeing that they aren't trying to attack or jump in, I just wondered if possibly there was hope.

ersl12

Original Poster
In response to Spyder.. after we came home we read there is an age limit to selling, and we were surprised it was so small/young. There's a chance the girl was wrong. We went on a Friday and they said he came from the breeder that Thursday. But thankfully he's very healthy, active, and friendly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom