Do Beardies make noises?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Do Beardies make noises?

Postby maytes » Mon May 17, 2010 2:21 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

My 2 are very quiet,no sounds from them unless they are scratching divider.
maytes
Hatchling Poster

Re: Do Beardies make noises?

Postby mickeysmomma » Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 pm

I have heard a small hiss before, but that's it. Wonder why they don't make any other noises. I almost wish they did :mrgreen:
mickeysmomma
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Jiffy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:30 pm

One of mine will hiss, the other two do not make any noises. (other than glass dancing, banging into the glass)
Jiffy
BD.org Addict

Postby jeserah » Tue May 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Ohh, I saw this post and I had to respond!

I'm an animal biology major, just 1.25 quarters away from graduation (xmas time can't come soon enough!). Anyway, from all the knowledge I've gained at my university and college, I would like to make an educated guess about the lack vocalization that bearded dragons exhibit.

I think most reptiles make little, if any noise unless they live in the tropics, where thermoregulation isn't much of an issue due to the lack of temperature fluctuation, or if the reptile has some sort of defense mechanism they want to make known (like the rattlesnake and it's rattle/venom combo). I think that beardie's don't make noise because it's energetically expensive, but more than that, they are dependent upon outside temps for most of their actions. If there was a stimulus that the dragons responded to with noise, like a mating call, they'd be sitting ducks for predators that heard that mating call, especially if they couldn't get away fast enough. They're not the fastest lizard in the outback, so it would make sense anyway that they'd want to keep quiet.

Anyway, that's just my little hypothesis!
jeserah
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Phoenix17June2009 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:34 am

jeserah wrote:Ohh, I saw this post and I had to respond!

I'm an animal biology major, just 1.25 quarters away from graduation (xmas time can't come soon enough!). Anyway, from all the knowledge I've gained at my university and college, I would like to make an educated guess about the lack vocalization that bearded dragons exhibit.

I think most reptiles make little, if any noise unless they live in the tropics, where thermoregulation isn't much of an issue due to the lack of temperature fluctuation, or if the reptile has some sort of defense mechanism they want to make known (like the rattlesnake and it's rattle/venom combo). I think that beardie's don't make noise because it's energetically expensive, but more than that, they are dependent upon outside temps for most of their actions. If there was a stimulus that the dragons responded to with noise, like a mating call, they'd be sitting ducks for predators that heard that mating call, especially if they couldn't get away fast enough. They're not the fastest lizard in the outback, so it would make sense anyway that they'd want to keep quiet.

Anyway, that's just my little hypothesis!

NICE!! :mrgreen: oh btw... only 7 months to go buddy!!!
ImageCombined Blog for both beardies: http://www.beardeddragon.org/home/beard ... p?bu=36011 Updated: 26Apr12
Phoenix17June2009
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Reapix » Wed May 19, 2010 2:34 pm

they hiss i believe other then that no idk why complain about quietness :D lucky theyre not constantly annoying u rite?
oHai :D One beardie, Apollo | One Dog, Gumbo
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘
Reapix
Hatchling Poster