??????:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
nope. unless you are planning on breeding but I dont think you are ready for that.

Martyn21

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Will a cat make my beardy strest coz ever since iv had him my cat jumps up at viv and when I get him out they folow each other about and the cat lays down with him and keep him warm when he's out is that normal lol oh and what should a healthy beardys poo look like when I got him it was wet and brown with a White bit at the end and now ATM it's just brown,:)

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
yes a cat will stress him out.

if there is no white tip in the poo it means you probably arent hydrating him enough. I think you need to go over your entire set up so we can get set up on the right track.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?

Martyn21

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast said:
yes a cat will stress him out.

if there is no white tip in the poo it means you probably arent hydrating him enough. I think you need to go over your entire set up so we can get set up on the right track.

How old is your dragon? 9months
How long have you had your dragon? 3weeks
How long is your dragon? 1foot with tail
What is the sex of your dragon?Don't no that
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?4foot 2by2foot
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Oister shell
Do you use UVB lights? Repti glo 14" 10.0
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?fluorescent tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb? 1 day
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?10cm gap
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Repti glo and it's 150W
What are the basking temps?100-110
What is the cool side temp?80-95
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? thermometer
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? 5cm from him and the lite
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?no they burn
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.med locusts,and mid crickets
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?veg and lives in morning and some lives afternoon
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?no was going to but pet store were I got him said don't bother coz I get a box a day
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? No I no I should and will soon
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?he poops about 2 maby 3 times a day
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?yes cleaned every day
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?no
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?no costs to much and my vet does not no about beardys I no it's silly
I hope this helps :)

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Well for the most part you are doing the right things. There a few things that need to be changed though.

1. START USING CALCIUM(with d3) and VITAMINS! That is an absolute must!

2. Those oyster shells need to go! They can cause impaction and be potentially fatal. Try newspaper, paper towels, tiles, repticarpet, non adhesive shelf liners.

3. That UVB bulb is a bad bulb. You need to get the reptisun 10.0 The one you have causes many issues including some major eye problems.

4. It says you clean him every day but what about water? If you put him in the bathtub every day or two he will be come much more hydrated. Only fill it up to his chest though with luke warm water(like you would bath a baby in) and let him sit in there for about 10-20 minutes.

Get those things fixed and you should be good to go.

Post some pics too

Martyn21

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GoFast said:
Well for the most part you are doing the right things. There a few things that need to be changed though.

1. START USING CALCIUM(with d3) and VITAMINS! That is an absolute must! What brands r the best I live on the isle of Wight in the uk??

2. Those oyster shells need to go! They can cause impaction and be potentially fatal. Try newspaper, paper towels, tiles, repticarpet, non adhesive shelf liners.that is wat the breader I got him from uses can I use play sand

3. That UVB bulb is a bad bulb. You need to get the reptisun 10.0 The one you have causes many issues including some major eye problems.that's wat I got I fink,it says on box repti glo 10.0uvb

4. It says you clean him every day but what about water? If you put him in the bathtub every day or two he will be come much more hydrated. Only fill it up to his chest though with luke warm water(like you would bath a baby in) and let him sit in there for about 10-20 minutes. Yep water is always clean as soon as he takes a poop I remove it.

Get those things fixed and you should be good to go.

Post some pics too I can't put on pics unless I go on face book

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
To your original question No beardies are solitary creatures and do not like hanging out together...they only come together in the wild for breeding purposes. I personally wouldn't even house them together if/or should I say when I breed them. They each have their own domains and breeding takes place on neutral grounds not in ones palace.

I don't necessarily agree that the cat will stress your beardie out. Maybe for a minute until they are use to each other but my cat and beardies are very good companions. Keep in mind that they have lived together for some time now.

Here's a pic of Itty Bitty joining Beefy the cat in the bedroom window. She approached him.
DSC02858.jpg

Zak-n-Wheezie take naps with the cat all the time...though I think Beefy would just like to steal their blankie.
100_7292.jpg

PVT Blaze about 5 months old with Beefy...as you can see he climbed onto the cat.
100_6035.jpg

None of them seem to mine the pug puppy either.
What they do mind though is another beardie.

1) The best brand for bearded dragons and this is my opinion Rep-Cal brand supplements.

2) Any particle substrate can pose impaction issues but playsand is the safest of particle substrates. It is not recommended though until your beardie is about 12 months old. I personally see particle substrates like a
"litter box" as it harbors the bacteria from their poops and in return can and normally will cause parasite issues.

3) The Reptisun 10.0 and the Reptiglo are not the same the reptiglo doesn't put out the sufficient UVB for a bearded dragon. You need the Reptisun 10.0.

If you'd like to check the sex of your beardie check out this article. http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? thermometer
What type of thermometer is what we are after. The reason being that there are really only 2 types that work well for getting proper basking readings. One would be a digital probe thermometer which you'd place the probe directly on the basking spot. The other being a infrared temp gun which you just point and push the button for instant readings. The stick on dials and tape strips can be up to 20* off in reading.

I also recommend that you find a vet that can perform a fecal test on your beardie. Fecal test should be done about every 6 months. One of the main killers to beardies is parasites which are fully treatable.
Very important! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom