STUART TAKEN BY HAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwoodtoo

It was a beautiful sunny warm day this morning and i went outside to have my coffee on the backyard deck and decided to take my dragon with me to enjoy some natural sunlight. My backyard backs onto 20 acres of woodland and the deck is mostly open to allow maximum sun. I put Stuart in his little harness and leash and put him on the deck to bask. She was walking around and exploring as far as the leash would permit her and found a spot she she liked and fanned herself into a pancake and closed her eyes with her head skyward. We continued to enjoy the outdoors for about 45 minutes together when i felt a SWOOOOSH just beside my head and saw a blur. I jumped and then proceeded to see Stuart in the talons of a hawk that was climbing fast with the leash trailing from her. I could see Stuart twisting her body and neck, arms flailing trying to escape but to no avail. I feel so badly for her , that i did not protect this animal from a potential threat . I just can't believe it. I have never seen birds of prey in my area before. Who would have thought this would/could happen. I have heard that a hawk can see prey from incredibly high up and dive at said prey at full speed. I have had some very bad luck with dragons so far and am not sure if i should continue pursuing to keep this kind of pet.

PLEASE people .... be careful when outdoors with your beloved pet.

Frank

Seacow

Oh my god... I am so sorry this happened. I live in a rural area too, and while I'd always be on the lookout for cats, I'd never ever have imagined that this was a possibility. Once again my condolences and please don't blame yourself.
Sarah

MyLittleFoot

Hatchling Member
OMG what a shock

I'm so very sorry for your loss

I take my baby out everyday when it's sunny but I'm always sitting right beside her, I thought this was protection enough. I will for sure be more careful.

Again I'm deeply sorry for your loss

beardlover

Juvie Member
Wow. That's incredible. I'm so sorry to hear about little Stuart. :cry:
Don't blame yourself, I don't think any of us would of thought to worry about threats from the sky. This should serve as a warning to us all.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
OMG! That's so unusual, they don't come so close to people. I am so, so very sorry. :( Oh, I don't know what to say. :cry:
I hope that isn't what happened to my Bogie. :shock:

Sandy H

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear about Stuart, honestly Frank, what could you have done? Who would have thought? I'm so sorry for your loss. We let our dragons on our balcony, we'll be more alert in the future. This is not your fault and I hope you do get another dragon eventually.

turkeybird

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry to hear about this.

Last summer I almost had a similar experience. I was outside enjoying the sun with Zilla. He was on my lap and I noticed that he kept scooting off of my lap and trying to hide beside me. I looked up in the air and saw three hawks circling above and they were getting closer and closer. One looked like it was about to swoop down so I grabbed Zilla and ran inside the house. Pretty scary. Just a reminder to be careful when outside.

Turkeybird

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
So sorry to hear about that! My daughter wants a leash for when we go out when it gets warmer (and we do have 2 types of hawks in our neighborhood) Now I am not sure I want her to take him outside anymore!

I am so sorry for your loss!

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry for your loss,I know you must be heartbroken!!! I hope that in time you feel able to get another beardie,they are such remarkable creatures!!! I will deffinately keep an eye on Alf outside,we have buzzards and hawks out here.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Frank....I am so sorry for the loss of little Stuart :cry: . What a tragedy that is!!! I can't even imagine what you are going through right now. I know you have definitely not had good luck with beardies, but don't give up on having another one.

My deepest sympathy's to you and Dawn.

Dawn

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I am so sorry to hear this. There really wasn't anything you could have done once the hawk took your beardie. Please don't blame yourself. We have hawks all the time around our house. I used to use a baby play pen to put one of our beardies in when I am gardening but quit when I seen hawk grab a yellow finch off our fence.

Please don't let this stop you from getting another one later on. They are amazing creatures.

I am terribly sorry for your loss. :cry:

pwargcm

im sorry for your loss. my caly is constantly in watch of the sky when i have her out. we live were low flying planes are all the time. actually live a block where flight 3407 went down outside of buffalo ny this year. so she watches them and thinks theyre after her. and she watches all the birds too to make sure shes safe. now i understand why she does it. must be natural instinct for her to keep her self safe from all attacks of anykind. she doesnt worry about the neighbors cats because her best buddy, my dog gunner, doesnt like them. so when were out gunner is with us. and he loves caly.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh my goodness frank, i am so ever sorry to hear of this.
for you to witness your lil baby like that! im shocked and so sad for you and lil stuart right now.
i live in england and dont think we get birds like that here but even so ill still be on the look out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom