Dragon that does not like bathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

barb1222

I 'm watching my co-worker's bearded dragon (in her classroom) while she is on vacation and because I am so fascinated by her bearded dragon, I did some research just to see what else I could give her dragon to eat (she told me to give him lettuce or spinach everyday). I found out that she really isn't taking the best care of her dragon, so I have taken it upon myself to correct her mistakes. Where I work, I am known as "Doctor Dolittle" because I love animals and I make sure that I take care of my pets the best I can (using research), so everyone tends to ask me how to take care of different animals. (BTW, I stopped feeding her dragon the lettuce and spinach and bought turnip greens, escarole, endive. I also have green peppers and zucchini.)

Anyways, I read (on this site) that bearded dragon don't really drink water. Instead, you are supposed to give them baths. Well, I tried that today...I put him in a bin of warm water and the poor guy freaked out. He did not like it. I took him out and tried again after a bit and he again, freaked out and tried to get out, so I dried him off and put him back in his cage. I didn't want to stress him out anymore.

I have sprayed his back with water and he seems to like that. My co-worker had a big rock-like bowl of water for him (to drink out of) that another co-worker said she saw him sit in, although he is way too big for it. I took that out after I found out that he wouldn't drink from it. I wanted to give him more room.

What should I do? My co-worker has had this dragon for about a year and he has never had a bath.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....it's nice that your'e taking good care of this beardie. :) You could keep the water bowl in there since it was part of your co worker's set up. Just be sure it's not under the heat lamp where it could raise humidity. You could even just put it in maybe twice a week in case he actually drinks from it, because some dragons do. You can also gently spray water on his snout [ spray or drip a few seconds, stop, repeat to give him a chance to drink ] Spraying his back is O.K. to help with a shed, but it won't hydrate him. Whenever you DO spray, be sure to sop up any extra water that drips down in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom