Dragon, Dragon, Not Lizard ((Mushu))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

We got our dragon baby on April 2, but I am just now starting this thread because until last week, my fiancé and I could not settle on a name.

My fiancé is in the army, so he only met our beardie when he was on leave last week. He came up with the name Mushu, and it's kind of stuck. For those of you that might not be familiar with the movie, Mushu is the name of the small red dragon in the Disney film Mulan.

So now that Mushu has a name, it is way easier to write about him.

Mushu was born on January 11, 2014. He was bred by Atomic Lizard Ranch. When I bought him, he was a little over nine inches.

It was a little difficult getting everything ready by myself, but I work at a pet store so at least things were accessible. Also lucky- the dollar a gallon sale came around right when I was ready to set up for Mushu!

I had to enlist the help of one if my coworkers in order to jam the tank into my Mustang.

After a lot of debating, I went with tile flooring.

After getting his tank, lighting, and food all ready, all I had to do was wait. Luckily, he arrived right on time. Around noon on April 2, Fed Ex dropped him off. I opened the bag expecting to have to dig around in the newspaper shavings to find him, but instead he had his head poking out, staring right at me. His body was in shed, so I didn't get to see his real colors right away, but I was just excited that he had finally arrived. It was really hard not to pester him for the first few days.

First day home! When he arrived, he was a little over nine inches.

I found out quickly that the breeder was not kidding when she said that he was a big eater! I was worried he might be off his food because of relocation stress, but he quickly proved me wrong. He can eat fifty plus insects a day, easily. He enjoys salad also, but usually only when I'm not looking. Cool kids don't eat greens.

He has a bath about once a week. Bath time is not his absolute favorite, but he handles it well.

I have way too many pictures of this little guy. These are some of his cage time pictures. I made the hammock for him a couple of weeks ago. I had the suction cups left over from a project and the flannel from a quilt I made for my fiancé- so why not? Mushu LOVES hanging out in his hammock.

Today, Mushu is four months and two days old! I try to measure him every week or two. He wasn't straightening out well today but he's around 12 or 12 1/2 inches long! We also took a couple of pictures while getting ready this morning. Mushu likes to give makeup and outfit advice.

LisaG

What a beautiful dragon! I love your setup, I am thinking about using tiles as a substrate when I get my little guy into his bigger enclosure. Do you ever have a problem with insects getting under or stuck in between the tiles? My beardie does the exact same thing, I never see him eat his greens but I know he does because when I come home there is half as much salad in his bowl than when I left :lol:

Raging

Original Poster
Thank you Lisa!

I really like the tile. I bought mine from Lowe's. There are two places where the crickets and roaches can wiggle into cracks but I usually stuff those with some rolled fabric or paper towels so it isn't a problem. It also helps that Mushu is weirdly fast and crickets rarely escape from him. I recommend the tile very much- mine doesn't have grout so I can take it out to deep clean it.

I'm also glad to hear that I don't have the only secret salad eater :p He actually did eat in front of me yesterday- I was so surprised, I had to take a video!

Raging

Original Poster
Thank you Cooper!

I'm kind of a neurotic mommy, so it's always nice to hear when someone thinks my baby seems happy ^^

I'm really, really happy with the tile thing. Working at the pet store, I've switched more than one customer from sand to tile. Most of them want to switch after they find out the dangers, the rest are encouraged when I show them the pictures of how good tile can look and how easy it is to put in and maintain.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for doing that! A lot of pet stores push the sand or other loose substrate and it is just not worth the risk.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
WOW! Mushu has beautiful colors! He looks so happy and well adjusted! He is going to be a big boy. The tile looks wonderful. At least he offers you some fashion advice :lol: My silly little girl likes to sit on top of my head while I am getting ready. What did your fiancé think of him?

Raging

Original Poster
Luckily, if I'm not on the floor I'm usually at the register. I actually like helping customers with things like that because usually they are really eager to learn. I think the most difficult customer was the woman who only wanted a UV light, no heat lamp, because her son could burn himself. And then she just wanted to buy one fixture, and just use the uv bulb half the day and the heat bulb for the other half :?

And thank you Brezzy! He gets super bright sometimes when I have him out! Someone asked me once if he only had the blue bars because I had him on blue/purple towels.

My fiancé really liked him! We picked him out online together. He was actually the only dragon we both agreed upon- and he was born on the 11th, a special number for us, so it felt like fate. My fiancé was really surprised by how heavy he is, and how well he eats! If he sees his dubia roaches before I get them in the tank, he bonks his nose on the glass repeatedly -.- My fiancé was worried that Mushu would just see him as a creepy stranger, but they'll get more time to bond once he's out of the army.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
I always laugh when my male hits the glass trying to get to his food. I know I shouldn't but it is cute. His side bars are pretty. Some people frustrate me when buying animals :angry5: If you are not prepared or willing to provide the animals necessities then don't buy it! It's like people asking for advice then saying nah that isn't what I wanted to hear. :banghead:

Raging

Original Poster
People love to ignore the advice they asked you for in the first place >< It's frustrating but luckily they' don't show up too much.

And thank you Esther! I think he's precious, but I'm a bit biased.

My fiancé called this morning and told me that he had a dream when he was holding Mushu, and he was going it out him down in this box. In the dream, I had told him the box would be fine. But then Mushu got too cold, and split in half o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom